Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Disco.

Re: Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

#286 Post by Disco. »

Fundamental 66,236 by March 2009.

boyjohn

#287 Post by boyjohn »

The fact that the last three albums have had consistent sales is a great thing, it shows that their fan base (though not huge) is holding steady, even though album sales as a whole are dropping through the floor. Th fact that they can get 15K+ people in the UK to purchase something that they can easily hear for free is astonishing really.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Tenlow

#288 Post by Tenlow »

boyjohn wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 9:01 pm
The fact that the last three albums have had consistent sales is a great thing, it shows that their fan base (though not huge) is holding steady, even though album sales as a whole are dropping through the floor. Th fact that they can get 15K+ people in the UK to purchase something that they can easily hear for free is astonishing really.
Not wanting to be the bad guy again but I'm pretty sure it's more like 8 to 10k people as the Hardcore fanbase bought each format/multiple formats (myself included even though I live in Germany :D) But, again, that's not something to be negative about.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

drunk14

#289 Post by drunk14 »

I think there are always new fans who join their core fanbase. You can compare their results in late 90. and recent sales. It's very similar, perhaps a bit lower, but considering the changes within the music market it's still a good proportion. From time to time PSB benefit by their "big comeback albums" (Fundamental) or maximally poppy records and some additional bonuses like BRIT Awards (Yes) and the effect is more impressive. You can say their trusted fanbase consists around 10k people, but there must be new members and I believe their number is not only symbolic. We should remember they're big since 1985, so their fans are a bit old right now (40's, 50s mostly). It may sound harsh, but I'm sure that so many people interested in their music passed away during last 20 years or so, and It didn't have a destructive impact on their fanbase.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Patrick Bateman

#290 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I think the fact that they can still sell out large stadia is a better indication of their enduring appeal than the hardcore fanbase buying 16 versions of the latest album.

jamie1978

#291 Post by jamie1978 »

They sell 90% of their records outside the UK.

The obsession on UK charts and sales is odd.

Tomas

#292 Post by Tomas »

How many sales were they behind Eminem this week?
PeT sHoP bOyS aT dEaD oF nIgHt
http://psb-atdeadofnight.net
Your one-stop source for 350+ PSB lyrics, 80+ PSB MIDIs,
plenty of unique photographs and much more...

tottenhammattspurs

#293 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

34 years after their debut album, they are still having consistent top ten albums. This would be the equivalent of Doris Day and Al Martino having hit albums in 1986.

They didn’t. They Boys still are. Even if you dilute it to just “pop” (as we know that “rock” has different rules), what Pop band who charted in 1986, are still having CONSISTENT top ten albums?

None. Absolutely none. This achievement alone is fvvking tremendous.
is is and isnt isnt

michael888

#294 Post by michael888 »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Sun 02 Feb 2020, 2:54 am
34 years after their debut album, they are still having consistent top ten albums. This would be the equivalent of Doris Day and Al Martino having hit albums in 1986.

They didn’t. They Boys still are. Even if you dilute it to just “pop” (as we know that “rock” has different rules), what Pop band who charted in 1986, are still having CONSISTENT top ten albums?

None. Absolutely none. This achievement alone is fvvking tremendous.
Depeche Mode
A small voice of calm and reason.

tottenhammattspurs

#295 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

They’re considered “rock” nowadays though.

But I’ll give you that.

I did think New Order but again, they’re Indie/Rock.
is is and isnt isnt

MrTennant

#296 Post by MrTennant »

The promotion these days has worked amazingly well:

- ínterviews and reviews from the new album in the main newspapers of the world and of course the musical newspapers.
- A performance and interviews on BBC and ITV, another performance in NTA on ITV.
- Radio 2 playing the singles and the songs from the albums with a lot of interviews, help from BBC 6 Music, even Radio 1 has played some remixes of Monkey Business. A lot of radio interviews.

Remember the big promotion started with the concers of Hyde Park which were quite relevant and the performance with The Killers in Glanstorbury. There is a possibility of watching them in Glanstorbury again and with the new tour I think there is more promotion on the way.

The thing is people of more than 40 years old like PSB but they think they are not as good as they were in the 80's. I like Hotspot and it's a varied album which is a good thing but with predictible movements. I prefer that than taking other ways I wouldn't probably like.

RMC

#297 Post by RMC »

On the radio chart show, just played Happy People, then talked about the album chart new entires. It sounded good on the radio.

I don’t actually know which regional station it’s on though as I stopped when I heard it. I’m not at home.

alig

#298 Post by alig »

Double post
Last edited by alig on Sun 02 Feb 2020, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"John 3:16."

alig

#299 Post by alig »

alig wrote:
Sun 02 Feb 2020, 10:10 pm
boyjohn wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 9:01 pm
True. Amazingly, their latest album made it to no 1 (incl. in Germany according to Media Control), and I ignore the official charts as they're a joke. There are still thousands of people willing to pay for Hotspot. Whereas the J Hus fanbase consists of shallow, cheapskating teenie boppers. They even beat Eminem. What an achievement. The boys are national treasures and you can feel the respect and joy journalists have talking to them.
"John 3:16."