Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

#1 Post by Nickname »

As usual, it's time to take a look at new releases and try to guess if Neil and Chris can get a Number 1. I suppose some of you can imagine if there is any possibity or not, taking into account the competitors and their fanbases:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/album ... -soon/date

One of the crowd

Re: Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

#2 Post by One of the crowd »

They'll be a f*** up with the bar code on the CDs or something and the sales wont register properly.
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

dequesi

#3 Post by dequesi »

I don't see anything on that list famous enough to jump to Number 1 (but then, I may not know the latest hip trend).

However, I do see some risk in boring-to-death chart-toppers like Ed Sheeran or current number one Lewis Capaldi staying on top our favourite boys... Fingers crossed!

Hopefully, those of us who've bought all physical formats will give them an extra bump ;-P

daveid

#4 Post by daveid »

An iTunes f*** up will somehow make the album no.4 in 2007 and anyway the Beatles are reforming and will drop a new album out of the blue that day. And Elvis.

domino

#5 Post by domino »

Hard to guess the chart position by judging the artist.

Some good releases could be Halsey, Selena Gomez or Mac Miller, at least in the US.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Nickname

#6 Post by Nickname »

dequesi wrote: Fri 10 Jan 2020, 4:44 pm I don't see anything on that list famous enough to jump to Number 1 (but then, I may not know the latest hip trend).
Well, fingers crossed then.

drunk14

#7 Post by drunk14 »

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=229668

You can read there about figures. It's hard to rival with albums by artists who have already spent 3X or 4X weeks on the chart and still selling 15-20k. Three last PSB albums sold 10k, 15k and 16k respectively. I guess that Electric could have a better performance if not released during holiday season. Super was relesed in April which is, I believe, around the high season. Four years after there are less fans and interested people around, January does not advantage big sales and in terms of promotion and some marketing tricks PSB are rather in the same place like in 2016, so nothing new. I bet they can sell as much as 12-13k. It should be top 5, but I do not expect something spectacular. I need to admit that I was shocked that Super was top 3, but nothing can ever happen twice.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

romy

#8 Post by romy »

I say Hotspot will reach the Nr.1. position.

My feeling tell me,that,in the moment is a big interest on Pet Shop Boys.

I never thought,that they sold so many tickets for the tour,like they do.Then we have 5 formats,the month january etc. And they know this exactly.

ArtHist

#9 Post by ArtHist »

^^^^ Do British acts do 'bundles' like in the US? Madonna tacking on ticket sales with albums to secure decent chart figures seems to be a common tactic with many US acts. The Boys could have capitalised on their Greatest Hits tour with a similar move.

Nickname

#10 Post by Nickname »

The Hyde Park concert gave them a good exposure and it always helps. Radio 2 is doing a big promotion of their singles, even 6 music is playing Monkey Business which is a good choice for single. Maybe I'm wrong but I think there is a video on the way for Monkey Business. I don't think the main track from the album doesn't even have a lyric video (there are some lyrics videos on Youtube but they are made by fans). Everything can improve the sales.

Future Lover

#11 Post by Future Lover »

I hope the official website shenanigans with the signed print will work, even though I imagine half of those copies will be shipped internationally, and therefore not counted for the UK placing.

drunk14

#14 Post by drunk14 »

How do they count streams? One per person? Spotify and Tidal only? If i listen to 7/10 songs it's legit ot not? I don't know a thing abou it, but perhaps6it would be possible to repeat the album endlessly during the first week. About 30 full spins daily x 7 days x 30 people from here (you can change your country in the options) equals 6300. Good addition. Heh.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Future Lover

#15 Post by Future Lover »

For streams, it's all laid out here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album-equivalent_unit

So basically, 8 ouf of 10 Hotspot that are not the two most popular ones (i.e. Dreamland and Burning the Heather, probably) will be counted, and those streams will be divided by 1000 as a numbers of album equivalent units.