Video Remasters

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
domino

Re: Video Remasters

#16 Post by domino »

Ladies and Gentleman, here it comes: HD Remasters! :dance:

Domino Dancing - HD Remaster Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJeJRbD_Lg

---------------------

West End Girls - HD Remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3j2NYZ8FKs

What Have I Done To Deserve This - HD Remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9E5i7l-Eg

It's A Sin - HD Remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q

Domino Dancing - HD Remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik2YF05iX2w

Go West - HD Remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjMRvOB5M
Last edited by domino on Fri 26 Jun 2020, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Future Lover

#17 Post by Future Lover »

Gotta be honest - this looks like ass. All they did was a slight AI upscale, they didn't really go back to the tapes.

Parkol

#18 Post by Parkol »

I didn't see better quality.

Suburban_Boy

#19 Post by Suburban_Boy »

It's fairly slight, and certainly no Last Christmas :D Here is a comparison video for Domino Dancing: https://youtu.be/nvJeJRbD_Lg

Oh, the comparison video was also posted above, sorry, didn't notice it at first. :oops:

Gabby

#20 Post by Gabby »

Gotta be honest, these aging eyes dont see enough of a difference to really care.

The human eye and ear can probably only see and hear up to a certain level of clarity before this sort of stuff becomes a waste of time and a gimmick to shift the same copy of a song or movie for the umpteenth time.

I know it's a cynical approach but I doubt I could even discern a difference between my CDs from the 90s and the new remasters. If it weren't for the additional tracks I'd never buy them.

Sithblade

#21 Post by Sithblade »

It was around 20 years after release before I knew of any controversy around the Domino Dancing video. Innocently thought it was just two guys getting into a scuffle over a very hot woman.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Gabby

#22 Post by Gabby »

Sithblade wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm
It was around 20 years after release before I knew of any controversy around the Domino Dancing video. Innocently thought it was just two guys getting into a scuffle over a very hot woman.

:lol: Me too. I thought she was proper gorgeous and got zero homoerotic reference from it at the time.

Oznerol

#23 Post by Oznerol »

As I mentioned in early comments here..this supposed HD remasters are no more than a joke... Just more contrast and sharpness..but it`s just the same old Standard Definition videos in bigger size. If at least they had tried to use some A.I. software to re-process the videos and increase definition...but trying to offer just this as "HD" is shameless...
This is not my signature.

Greendrake

#24 Post by Greendrake »

They should have instructed the AI to generate some facial pimples and pores that audience could enjoy noticing on a 4K screen :lol:.

Regarding the homoerotic "references" in Domino dancing — I still don't get them. The "fight" in the sea waves indeed looks unconvincing and more resembling kids in an aqua park than fighters. But that's just bad choreography/acting/direction, isn't it? I don't see anything erotic about it at all (although I get it that some Homo Sapiens may extrapolate it there and beyond).

Patrick Bateman

#25 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 4:39 am
Regarding the homoerotic "references" in Domino dancing — I still don't get them. The "fight" in the sea waves indeed looks unconvincing and more resembling kids in an aqua park than fighters. But that's just bad choreography/acting/direction, isn't it? I don't see anything erotic about it at all (although I get it that some Homo Sapiens may extrapolate it there and beyond).
One of them whacks the other one's helmet ffs.

tottenhammattspurs

#26 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Sithblade wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm

Donna Bottman.
is is and isnt isnt

NotInvisible

#27 Post by NotInvisible »

Gabby wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 3:04 pm
Gotta be honest, these aging eyes dont see enough of a difference to really care.

The human eye and ear can probably only see and hear up to a certain level of clarity before this sort of stuff becomes a waste of time and a gimmick to shift the same copy of a song or movie for the umpteenth time.
That level of clarity is higher than you seem to think. There is a significant difference between standard and high definition, and a lesser (but still noticeable) difference between high definition and 4K ultra high definition - a difference which grows becomes much more obvious when HDR is employed.

But of course many people are not going to notice these differences on something as small as a computer screen.

My guess is these videos are up-rezzes rather than scanned negative, which means they're not true HD anyway. But you'll never be able to tell on YouTube.

ZiggyPSB

#28 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 7:18 am
Greendrake wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 4:39 am
One of them whacks the other one's helmet ffs.
Oh yeah. So gay.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Oznerol

#29 Post by Oznerol »

NotInvisible wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 3:02 pm
My guess is these videos are up-rezzes rather than scanned negative, which means they're not true HD anyway. But you'll never be able to tell on YouTube.

Of course they´re just up-scaled videos since "negatives" of a native video flimed/edited piece never existed. As is the case for almost all the cklassic PSB videos. In the best-case-scenario maybe for some of them (like "What have I done...") that looks like actually shooted on film, and not on video, somebody can make the effort to look if the original rough footage of the shooting still exists, scan it on HD and re-edit the clip trying to recreate the edition that for sure was made on video transfers of the fooitage, and not edited film, wich is much more complex and expensive. But that will never going to happen...
(that´s the work that was made to re-create the INXS performance for the new HD remaster of "Live Baby Live"..that was originally shooted on sixteen 35mm cámeras but edited on video originally...so they now scanned all the original stuff in 4k and re-created the original edition all over again! a HUGE work!!)
The real examples of old video-clips on real HD (Like Wham!, A-ha, Elton) are rare exceptions where those video-clips were actually filmed and editen on 35 or16mm film. Rare exceptions...
Last edited by Oznerol on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oznerol

#30 Post by Oznerol »