Anyone else not heard the new album yet?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
misterme

Re: Anyone else not heard the new album yet?

#16 Post by misterme »

Dead In Marseilles, after reading your post about listening to the instrumental CD first, I decided I would do the same as you and enjoyed the album that way too.
I'm curious as to know what your reaction will be when you get to CD1. I have now listened to the "vocal" album and I can say it was somewhat puzzling. At first listen, I was disappointed and thought I prefered the instrumentals. It took me at least three further listening (lol) to get used to it and be able to enjoy the full album. The most difficult song to get into in my opinion is "Will-O-The-Wisp". I think that Neil's singing on this is weird, sometimes vocals don't sound in-sync with the backing track. But it's on purpose.
But that's just my opinion. I can't wait to ear yours.
Last edited by misterme on Sun 15 Mar 2020, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick Bateman

Re: Anyone else not heard the new album yet?

#17 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Dead In Marseilles wrote:
Sun 08 Mar 2020, 7:04 pm
Only The Dark
My least favourite song on the Instrumental CD, I think this sounds like a really bad late 80s backing track, akin to instrumental music for a cheap straight-to-video film from 1988 (and I know what I mean - I was a teenager then, and saw lots of that kind of thing). The bridge sounds like the backing music to an 1980s daytime soap, or I can imagine it as alternative incidental music to Scott and Charlene's wedding scene from Neighbours in 1987. Perhaps this track will be 'rescued' by the lyrics for me. Or maybe I always simply won't like it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthwave