Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
glennjridge

Re: Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

#46 Post by glennjridge »

I would have given anything to be at the wedding when this pile of shit came on.
the old parents of the groom and bride turning to each other saying, couldn't they have given them a f*** toaster instead?

MikeyC

#47 Post by MikeyC »

Bjossi wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 2:11 am
Happiness does seem like a better comparison, now that you mention it. Even their lyrical structures are similar. Chanting "married" over and over vs spelling "happiness" letter by letter for example.
Yes!!

Dog

#48 Post by Dog »

It makes perfect sense:

1. It fits the Berlin theme
2. Romance looms large on this album
3. Like Please ends with Why don’t we live together, Wedding completes the journey Hotspot begins with Will-o-the-wisp
4. Ending with a wedding is an oft used theatrical device; see The Most Incredible Thing
5. The Price trilogy has been littered with oddball musical interludes - Hotspot’s has simply been moved to the end
6. Like much of their catalogue it conveys genuine, honest emotion - it’s irony-free
7. It celebrates equality
8. They like to wind people up
9. Apparently Price loves it
10. It’s well executed
Woof.

D.J.

#49 Post by D.J. »

It is the weakest song on Hotspot, but I do listen to it. It is a sort of guilty pleasure for me.😁 Not quite as good as Happiness, but I like the beat on it and the bassline.
With Decide instead of Wedding in Berlin this album would have been one of their best ever albums, but even now it’s in the upper echelon.😉

le petit corbusier

#50 Post by le petit corbusier »

Both previous comments pretty much sum up my thoughts about this song.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Kiran

#51 Post by Kiran »

glennjridge wrote:I would have given anything to be at the wedding when this pile of shit came on.
the old parents of the groom and bride turning to each other saying, couldn't they have given them a f****** toaster instead?
Hah! My thinking was the couple who go this as their wedding gift probably smiled thinking "they hate us :(".
I rule. You don't.

Kiran

#52 Post by Kiran »

Dog wrote:It makes perfect sense:

1. It fits the Berlin theme
2. Romance looms large on this album
3. Like Please ends with Why don’t we live together, Wedding completes the journey Hotspot begins with Will-o-the-wisp
4. Ending with a wedding is an oft used theatrical device; see The Most Incredible Thing
5. The Price trilogy has been littered with oddball musical interludes - Hotspot’s has simply been moved to the end
6. Like much of their catalogue it conveys genuine, honest emotion - it’s irony-free
7. It celebrates equality
8. They like to wind people up
9. Apparently Price loves it
10. It’s well executed
Why don't we live together? is a great song.
WIB is not.
I rule. You don't.

le petit corbusier

#53 Post by le petit corbusier »

glennjridge wrote:I would have given anything to be at the wedding when this pile of shit came on.
the old parents of the groom and bride turning to each other saying, couldn't they have given them a f****** toaster instead?
Lol
Look left, then right
And run for your life

wieske

#54 Post by wieske »

Unbelievable there is that much fuss about Wedding in Berlin... It's just a fun track which suits Hotspot perfect I think, as Dog wrote. A great album stopper in my opinion.

The 'problem' with Hotspot I think is, after reading the mixed comments here, is that a lot of people over-analysing every song.

Just enjoy the superb album Hotspot is, one of the best Pet Shop Boys delivered!!
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

TallThinMan

#55 Post by TallThinMan »

Can you imagine how much a collector would pay for the unique vinyl copy of the song if it hadn’t made it on to the album? For a moment I wondered if the track was released to prevent that ever happening; however, I don’t think the boys are that cynical. Regardless of the merits of the track, I do think it cheapens the wedding present somewhat to subsequently put it out.

PETHEAD72

#56 Post by PETHEAD72 »

TallThinMan wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 11:39 am
Can you imagine how much a collector would pay for the unique vinyl copy of the song if it hadn’t made it on to the album? For a moment I wondered if the track was released to prevent that ever happening; however, I don’t think the boys are that cynical. Regardless of the merits of the track, I do think it cheapens the wedding present somewhat to subsequently put it out.
Yes i totally agree,the 1 vinyl copy that was pressed will be worth a small fortune though!
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Dog

#57 Post by Dog »

PETHEAD72 wrote:
TallThinMan wrote:
Yes i totally agree,the 1 vinyl copy that was pressed will be worth a small fortune though!
Particularly given it’s a unique version. Maybe it’ll appear on Super further listening.
Woof.

retrofuturist

#58 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Dog wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 1:19 pm
Particularly given it’s a unique version. Maybe it’ll appear on Super further listening.
I doubt it, since it was more personalized with the people's names in it, wasn't it? It seems not much more appropriate to release that personalized version on a FL compilation, than the album itself.

Retro. :)

ArtHist

#59 Post by ArtHist »

TallThinMan wrote:
Some of us would pay even more to not hear it! If it's a more basic version of the album track it must be a right howler. :P

Spittingcat

#60 Post by Spittingcat »

And this was probably a mistake… I really like the track… but following up some lush reflective tracks at the end of the album with this chunk of fun feels odd on every listen.