It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Oznerol

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#226 Post by Oznerol »

oakey wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020, 6:58 pm That’s probably due to the 4% PAL speedup compared to film due to a difference in frame rate, 24 vs 25 frames per second: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/articles/P ... peedUp.asp

That is no longer an issue with bluray, but in the old days PAL VHS, Laserdisc etc were all 4% too fast. You heard it when music was played in movies on video, that sounded pitched.

If the DVD that comes with ICHH is PAL it should suffer from the same problem, you can check. NTSC also has 24 rates per sec so it wasn’t an issue there, but then again NTSC’s resolution was lower than PAL.

Pretty sure the bluray is at the speed the film was originally shot.
At first that´s what I thought...because the BluRay runs al 24fps, just like film was filmed...but the problem is that it now runs actually slower compared with the actual audio tracks we all know, form the CDs or wherever, not just compared with the "old" (PAL or NTSC) film transfers. That old copies ran at an speed that fits much better the speed of the real tracks than the new one...

Anyway, "if well done", a 24fps film transfer to PAL (25fps) or NTSC (30fps) shouldn´t see affected their running speed, because that is easily solved with frame duplicactions...and it's a very common procedure...
This is not my signature.

TwizzleUK

#227 Post by TwizzleUK »

Just did a like-for-like comparison with the original CD/digital versions and the Blu-ray definitely runs slower.

Wish

#228 Post by Wish »

Did somebody watched here?
https://player.bfi.org.uk/subscription/ ... 987-online
Is it slower too?

Oznerol

#229 Post by Oznerol »

Here I found a version of the HD Always on my mind movie clip with improved audio quality and corrected speed...

https://youtu.be/lvhRPJH5Tgw

...just to take a little watch of what could have been (the image quality of the BluRay release is really GREAT anyway...there are not complains about that...)

misterme

#230 Post by misterme »

"It Couldn't Happen Here" feature film on Blu-ray in this this BFI release: 1h 25min 48sec
"It Couldn't Happen Here" feature film on DVD in this BFI release: 1h 22min 22sec
TwizzleUK wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020, 7:49 pm Just did a like-for-like comparison with the original CD/digital versions and the Blu-ray definitely runs slower.
are you saying that the DVD runs at the right speed ?
This would imply that the movie was not originally shot on film but on video and that they had to slow it down to make the blu-ray master. Which is unlikely. What went wong ?
Last edited by misterme on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oznerol

#231 Post by Oznerol »

misterme wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020, 8:14 pm "It Couldn't Happen Here" feature film on Blu-ray in this this BFI release: 1h 25min 48sec
"It Couldn't Happen Here" feature film on DVD in this BFI release: 1h 22min 22sec
interesting!! So maybe the DVD is running at the correct speed!!

TwizzleUK

#232 Post by TwizzleUK »

misterme wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020, 8:14 pm "It Couldn't Happen Here" feature film on Blu-ray in this this BFI release: 1h 25min 48sec
TwizzleUK wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020, 7:49 pm Just did a like-for-like comparison with the original CD/digital versions and the Blu-ray definitely runs slower.
are you saying that the DVD runs at the right speed ?
This would imply that the movie was not originally shot on film but on video and that they had to slow it down to make the blu-ray master. Which is unlikely. What went wong ?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The songs in the Blu-ray film are slower than the songs on the CD and digital albums, so the film is slower, perhaps than it was originally intended. I noticed it the moment I started watching it. I've yet to check the DVD version.
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#233 Post by TwizzleUK »

Just watching the DVD and that's slow as well.

retrofuturist

#234 Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for the reports. Unfortunately I can't comment as I have missed out, despite pre-ordering. I'm sure I'll see the standard edition some day.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

TwizzleUK

#235 Post by TwizzleUK »

Still wonderful to see this again, despite the film feeling ever so slightly "sleepy" due to running slow. Just rewatched it with the commentary, and whist Jack Bond gives no insight whatsoever into any meaning the film may have, it's lovely to hear how proud of the film he still is.

In hindsight, it's all about the wonderful visuals really, isn't it? Doubt even Jack Bond had any overarching meaning or narrative to this, but it's a beautifully filmed continuous promo video for most tracks from their first two albums, and works brilliantly if you expect nothing more from it. Suspect I'll be rewatching this at fairly regular intervals from now on.

One of the crowd

#236 Post by One of the crowd »

Wasnt going to open my copy but reading this has forced my hand....

I have the film on my laptop.
The file is dated 2006 so possible VHS rip but its pre this release.

Played this file along side the Blu Ray and it remains in sync

Played the same file along side the DVD and the DVD runs faster.

So...

Is the Blu Ray the correct speed and the DVD faster?

Someone mentioned the songs are slower on the Blu Ray...

Are the songs therefore slower on the original VHS release and theyve got the correct speed on the DVD?

IMDB has the original film timing at 86 minutes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093284/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

This VHS release times at 87 minutes...

https://www.psb-catalogue.com/sleeves/j ... ukvhs2.jpg

Finally to add to the confusion...

Rent has a slightly longer intro on the film than the LP/7" mix
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

Greendrake

#237 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oznerol

#238 Post by Oznerol »

One of the crowd wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020, 12:34 am ...
Finally to add to the confusion...

Rent has a slightly longer intro on the film than the LP/7" mix
Oh, not just Rent. As an example, Always on my mind demo version has an extra verse/loop in the intro and another extra loop in the middle compared with the released audio version.. so for sure many other slight edits are present here and there on the other songs too...just to fill the narrative time of the images/choreographies or dialogs...

And yes, definetely the music sounds slower on the Blueray compared with the CDs...

ola t

#239 Post by ola t »

It has been common for European films to be shot at 25 frames per second, even though they will then have to be slowed down to 24 frames per second when they are shown in cinemas – at least in the age of actual film projection. It makes some kind of sense to shoot at 25 fps when the film is mainly intended for video release, or when a major producer is a European broadcast company, since 25 fps converts nicely to 50 fps PAL for broadcast, VHS, DVD, etc.

So it could be that the blu ray matches what was shown in cinemas, and the DVD matches the video releases (at least European ones).

My film tech geek knowledge is a bit rusty, but I don't think the blu ray format handles 25 fps particularly well. If I remember correctly, the actual blu ray standard allows for video to be encoded at 50 fps but then some players (American ones in particular, I think) will still refuse to play it. So running the blu ray at 25 fps may not have been an option without compromising it badly in some other way.

Greendrake

#240 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.