Just listened to Relentless - it's not very good

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
fac23

Re: Just listened to Relentless - it's not very good

#61 Post by fac23 »

Spittingcat wrote: Fri 08 May 2020, 3:47 pm That has to have the ‘biggest’ ending of any PSB track, no?
Yeah, right? They didn't do anything quite like this again. That repeated, almost chant-like chorus/coda thing. Not too many "oh yeah"s in the PSB catalogue either. I used to really, really love this one. Listened to again a few times today thanks to this thread. The mix is kinda muddy and there's just too much going on. But still a great track.

trafaelwyr

#62 Post by trafaelwyr »

Luke Colorado wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020, 7:19 pm “Y’all ready?”
I'll take that over the dreadful and dire E Smoove remix of Liberation.

markrobertnolan

#63 Post by markrobertnolan »

Well, I happen to thin Relentless is exceptionally good. It's bound to sound dated. It's 27 years old. Its dance music. But I can confidently confirm it was played on "The Monster" ride on Blackpool Pleasure Beach, where Chris Lowe used to work, all throughout summer 1994, as My friend and I who had been together at Uni in London, moved back to start work and during the summer had summer jobs, as is often the case in Blackpool. Chris worked on the Big Wheel, which is no longer there but it felt like a full circle, especially after three years of clubbing in London's most ahem, underground nightclubs. Some of which, like Chemistry at Soundshaft (behind Heaven) we would see Mr Tennant with a glass of champagne on the gantry..... Of course years later we also saw Chris at the Flamingo in Blackpool too. Relentless was certainly the way forward at the time. They would have been the Prodigy by now.

PSBForTheMasses

#64 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

I cannot imagina how one (I mean an electronic music or PSB fan ) finds Relentless "not very good". Forever in Love, and the hidden, criminally underrated and overlooked masterpiece One Thing Leads to Another with all its phony "ohh yeah"s, are enough to fall in love with that beauty.

I will never ever forgive PSB for tucking that brilliance into the end of a very very limited (I do not like the word "obscure") album instead of letting the world know about it...

stopthecar

#65 Post by stopthecar »

The general consensus here is that Relentless is still very good.

So shouldn't we change the title of this thread?
Sorry telys

symco

#66 Post by symco »

Am I right in thinking the man who has everything was preformed live at the savoy? And why wasn't it on the dvd? It sounded so good live

leesmapman

#67 Post by leesmapman »

Some Speculation was played at the Savoy and is not on the DVD.

symco

#68 Post by symco »

They left the best songs off 🤣🤣🤣

domino

#69 Post by domino »

They performed "Euroboy" and "Nervously" during the Discovery Tour and sadly changed the setlist before the filming.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Harry

#70 Post by Harry »

leesmapman wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:27 pm Some Speculation was played at the Savoy and is not on the DVD.
I have a vague memory from being at the Savoy that Neil left the stage for both “The man who has everything” and “Some speculation” and Chris played chords while Sylvia sang and Les Childs did his thing.

Does anyone else remember that?
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Flaffer

#71 Post by Flaffer »

Harry wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020, 8:22 pm
leesmapman wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:27 pm Some Speculation was played at the Savoy and is not on the DVD.
I have a vague memory from being at the Savoy that Neil left the stage for both “The man who has everything” and “Some speculation” and Chris played chords while Sylvia sang and Les Childs did his thing.

Does anyone else remember that?
I remember Neil leaving for The Man.....which was great live, can’t remember anything about Some Speculation. They played Before as well iirc that night. It was the night when they went for dinner with Elton John, as they drove past me and I saw him in the back of their limo
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.