Interesting article about Dainton

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

StevePSB
Site Admin

Re: Interesting article about Dainton

#2 Post by StevePSB »

It's difficult to reconcile his story with his nature with PSB and fans.

He signed my Behaviour reissue at the Tower Records signing in 2001. Despite his intimidating size and looks he was very approachable and very happy to sign for me. A lovely bloke, and a sad loss.

StevePSB

tottenhammattspurs

#3 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

I met him when I dropped by unannounced to their offices in Notting bill to drop of my demo
Tape in 1991. A huge man to look at but very polite. Took my tape from me and promised they’d listen later as they were “with Cicero at the moment” and couldn’t see us.

Luckily I wasn’t wearing my Spurs shirt! 😳😳😳
is is and isnt isnt

Marie loves PSB

#4 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Thank you for posting Patrick Bateman. :D Yes, he wasn't all that sweet where football was involved! Sounds like he calmed down a lot when he worked for PSB's. I luckily managed to meet him (and thought he was really nice) when PSB's were doing Radio 1 and I managed to get my photo taken with Dainton and he also signed some of my PSB's records. A little while later PSB's management arranged for me to send a couple of photographs to them for Dainton to sign. I am glad I did that now. It s a shame he passed away the way he did.

psbfannyc

#5 Post by psbfannyc »

He was just the sweetest guy. As he was manning the doors, he actually let me downstairs in the VIP section of the Studio 54 Nightlife after show party in NYC in October 1999 of the Nightlife Tour where I was actually able to get a photo with Neil and Chris. Those were the days...

Pod

#6 Post by Pod »

Never met Dainton, but heard plenty of good things (about his time with PSB anyway).
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

agent doris

#7 Post by agent doris »

Top bloke. Shared a few fun times.
Attachments
D6554B39-D46F-4056-914F-38E088290ECD.jpeg
D6554B39-D46F-4056-914F-38E088290ECD.jpeg (518.16 KiB) Viewed 3938 times

geowayne

#8 Post by geowayne »

The first guy in that photo (far left) looks as though he *may* be Peter Andreas (Chris's former longtime roommate, who died of AIDS-related illness in 1994. I could be wrong, however. (And I have no idea when that photo was taken.)

What do you think? If it is him, it may be one of the best photos available of him online.

agent doris

#9 Post by agent doris »

Yes, it is him. It was in Birmingham 1991.

TallThinMan

#10 Post by TallThinMan »

“Pet Shop Boys singer Chris Lowe…”

A long time ago I heard that Pete had a chequered past too. If he was friends with Dainton prior to his PSB involvement, I wonder if it was football hooliganism related.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

psbfannyc

#11 Post by psbfannyc »

agent doris wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020, 5:55 pm Top bloke. Shared a few fun times.
Classic Agent Doris!

Marie loves PSB

#12 Post by Marie loves PSB »

TallThinMan wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:12 pm “Pet Shop Boys singer Chris Lowe…”

A long time ago I heard that Pete had a chequered past too. If he was friends with Dainton prior to his PSB involvement, I wonder if it was football hooliganism related.
Yes, it was TallThinMan. :)

Young Offender

#13 Post by Young Offender »

I also got to meet him during several of the 1999 Nightlife stops in Southern California, very approachable and friendly.

seriously

#14 Post by seriously »

Great thread! Here's a pic of a bunch of us from this forum after the first Potemkin gig. Any of you guys still here???

RadioPunchBoil: The Future is 1982

psbfannyc

#15 Post by psbfannyc »

Another great memory of Dainton I have was when PSB performed at the "Equality Rocks" concert benefit on 29 April, 2000 in Washington DC. At the after party where I fortunately was invited to, Dainton poured us both a brandy and I sipped on my brandy while having a conversation with Dainton, Chris (with his beer), Neil (with his red wine or champagne I can't remember) and a very vivacious George Michael (with his cigarette). It was such a surreal night.

Incidentally, Neil and Chris opened up their show at the "Equality Rocks" concert benefit with the song "Homosexuality"...a song they covered from the band Modern Rocketry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMYky8ajPtA).

Here is the live version from Neil and Chris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKnZazCnaZ0

I was dying to ask Chris at that after party about the lead synth line he performed earlier that night, but I didn't want to discuss "business" at a party.