Pet Shop Boys are the origin of a feud between William Shatner and RedLetterMedia

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Pet Shop Boys are the origin of a feud between William Shatner and RedLetterMedia

#1 Post by leesmapman »

Here RedLetterMedia explains the whole situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF28Zednl10

Kudos for William Shatner for knowing a rather obscure PSB track.

Patrick Bateman

Re: Pet Shop Boys are the origin of a feud between William Shatner and RedLetterMedia

#2 Post by Patrick Bateman »

WTF - that's mad. The Picard artefact joke is funny. :lol:

boyjohn

Re: Pet Shop Boys are the origin of a feud between William Shatner and RedLetterMedia

#3 Post by boyjohn »

So, an annoying actor vs annoying YT creators, who will win?
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Patrick Bateman

#4 Post by Patrick Bateman »

boyjohn wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020, 4:18 pm So, an annoying actor vs annoying YT creators, who will win?
RLM are really good. Just been watching their pick of favourite Star Trek TNG episodes, which is very entertaining. Even better has been seeing them lose it over the Picard series.

boyjohn

#5 Post by boyjohn »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020, 4:22 pm
boyjohn wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020, 4:18 pm So, an annoying actor vs annoying YT creators, who will win?
RLM are really good. Just been watching their pick of favourite Star Trek TNG episodes, which is very entertaining. Even better has been seeing them lose it over the Picard series.
ya, I've watched them off and on for years. They are very annoying most of the time (they have that "self righteous" attitude that really turns me off), but can also are very funny at times (especially with the watching of old crappy movies). They're dissing of Picard (a truly wonderful show) pretty much turned me off from watching them regularly unless I see something that looks interesting.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Sebastian_Surfleet

#6 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

This thing is still going on as of December 2020.

Shatner won't let it go.

What a bizarre turn of events to have been started with a PSB reference.

Gabby

#7 Post by Gabby »

Is this not in Geowayne's strange but true stories about the PSB? if not, it should be...

Totally bizarre. My guess is Shatner maybe has a daughter/son, grandchild who likes PSB.

Sebastian_Surfleet

#8 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

Gabby wrote: Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:42 pm Is this not in Geowayne's strange but true stories about the PSB? if not, it should be...

Totally bizarre. My guess is Shatner maybe has a daughter/son, grandchild who likes PSB.
Ooooh, good question. I will check.

Edit: It is not listed. I sent Wayne a note!

Sebastian_Surfleet

#9 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

Gabby wrote: Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:42 pm Is this not in Geowayne's strange but true stories about the PSB? if not, it should be...

Wayne just added it! Such a great guy!

What a bizarre situation.

http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/extra ... tm#shatner

Drico One

#10 Post by Drico One »

I think people sometimes underestimate how famous Pet Shop Boys are - especially among people over 35. They've had references in The Simpsons, the Office, the Royle Family, and the Olympic Games, for heaven's sake. And all YEARS after their pop cultural and commercial heyday. They're embedded, deep in the popular consciousness, a bit like the fabled hamsters in the mythical orifices of yore.

They may be a cult band now, but they were huge for a few years in a time before the Internet atomised everything. Their back catalogue is a sacred artifact of that time, simultaneously revered and recalled.

One final point that may help explain this: their music has always been tuneful. While that quality is a largely debased currency among the young today, it's held in high esteem by older people. A good tune is always memorable, and Pet Shop Boys have more than their fair share of those.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Sebastian_Surfleet

#11 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

Drico One wrote: Fri 26 Mar 2021, 9:15 pm I think people sometimes underestimate how famous Pet Shop Boys are - especially among people over 35. They've had references in The Simpsons, the Office, the Royle Family, and the Olympic Games, for heaven's sake. And all YEARS after their pop cultural and commercial heyday. They're embedded, deep in the popular consciousness, a bit like the fabled hamsters in the mythical orifices of yore.

They may be a cult band now, but they were huge for a few years in a time before the Internet atomised everything. Their back catalogue is a sacred artifact of that time, simultaneously revered and recalled.

One final point that may help explain this: their music has always been tuneful. While that quality is a largely debased currency among the young today, it's held in high esteem by older people. A good tune is always memorable, and Pet Shop Boys have more than their fair share of those.

Drico.
I agree with you. As I have tried to impart in the Cardi B thread that most people in the US that are true music fans know PSB, and hold them in some reverence. Not only for their 80s catalogue, but for their many collaborations with artists new and old. Their remixes are well known and appreciated. And I specifically talked about this with coworkers at a Zoom happy hour, I work for Facebook, they are software engineers in their mid to late 20s. And a number of them are into EDM and similar stuff and know full well of PSB and see them as masters of the trade. I have been told, by people who are now parents of teenagers, that is a point of pride for many younger music lovers to be in on the "know" about PSB as something of hidden masters of the genre that posers and wannabes have forgotten.

Older co-workers know them from the 80s, and my LGBT friends know them as part of the cultural memory. So yeah, many people, more than one would think, know them.

I know many younger folks, younger than me anyway, I am 35, in their 20s that don't know them, but like them once they hear them. It simply wasn't on the menu for most of them as they grew up, unless their parents are fans, as is the case for every generation and music. I used to host poker games every Friday night, and once I played the DVD for the Pandemonium O2 Arena concert in the background. The friends who did not know them were blown away by it (Go West really impressed them). Later on I found out by driving with them, that a couple had bought PopArt and had a put a few songs on their playlists.

And that PSB in general lend themselves to new, younger fans, because their music helped birth a genre that is very dominant right now.