Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
OakeyDokey

Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#1 Post by OakeyDokey »

Apologies if this that been discussed before but can anyone confirm if these two singles, DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?, were recorded as part of the Behaviour sessions in 1990 or especially for the Discography compilation the following year?

They would both have been fantastic additions to Behaviour. Add both, remove Nervously and you've got by far their strongest album in my humble opinion.

It's also such a shame that DJ Culture hasn't been performed live since its initial outing at the Heaven show in 1991. Maybe the experience of the backing tapes/tech failing that night put them off playing it again (although I don't think it happened during that particular song so perhaps there's another reason!).

leesmapman

Re: Recording of DJ Culture and Was It Worth It?

#2 Post by leesmapman »

Personally, I think DJ Culture is one of their weakest singles, but I'm odd like that.
To answer your question: both tracks have been composed for the compilation. I think the genesis of DJ Culture is mentioned in the PSB vs. America book, but I'm not sure about that.

Drico One

#3 Post by Drico One »

Elements of Was it worth it? were composed years earlier. DJ Culture, if I recall correctly, was composed on their US tour in 1991. It was an attempted rewrite of West End girls.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Tom Angel

#4 Post by Tom Angel »

DJ Culture is easily one of their weakest singles.

great title and cover and ace remix by the Grid, but it' just a bit too busy for, it's muddy and sounds a bit bored with itself. And the lyrics are pretty pretentious, too much so on this occasion.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

nervousboy

#5 Post by nervousboy »

A good song, more suited to a b side. 12" is better.
Was it worth it? should have been the lead single with a montage of all their songs up to that point. May have been a bigger hit.

Gabby

#6 Post by Gabby »

I'm actually a big fan of "DJ Culture" - I know what you mean about it being rather pretentious, but the music is what carries it for me for the most part.

"Was It Worth It?" was not an instant hit for me - it's grown on me over time, but always seemed like a pretty straightforward song, (and as Neil himself stated) an unusually upbeat lyric for them at the time too. It belongs in a musical - I could almost see it in a revised version of Closer to Heaven.

boyjohn

#7 Post by boyjohn »

The bridge elevates DJ Culture from a so-so song to greatness.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Dog

#8 Post by Dog »

Both great tracks for me.
Woof.

S-sense

#9 Post by S-sense »

When i heard Was it worth it for the first time, I laughed out loud. It sounded like a Stock Aitken Waterman parody to me.
They they were in full SAW-Mode.

Gabby

#10 Post by Gabby »

S-sense wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021, 8:35 pm When i heard Was it worth it for the first time, I laughed out loud. It sounded like a Stock Aitken Waterman parody to me.
They they were in full SAW-Mode.
Yes, I think my initial reaction to it was similar. I felt they could do better than emulate SAW.

And yes, the bridge in DJ Culture is top notch.

Eleven

#11 Post by Eleven »

I love DJ Culture but If you exchange Nervously for Dj Culture on Behaviour it would have been worse IMO , I usually tend to think about their b sides on that era and try to imagine them in sustitution for some songs on the album, I always fail, but I love the idea of having 14/16 tracks and only being able to keep 10...
I think depending on the day some song would have made it
Many people know about Chris saying So Hard didnt fit the mood and spoiled it, so who knows...
They also needed a huge single to promote their first tour and How can you expect to be taken seriously? wasnt strong enough so they made the Where The Streets cover

londonnoise

#12 Post by londonnoise »

boyjohn wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021, 8:19 pm The bridge elevates DJ Culture from a so-so song to greatness.
1000% agree!

retrofuturist

#13 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

(Since the questions on the timing of the recording of these tracks has already been addressed...)

I love DJ Culture and its unique sound... I cannot think of anything else like it - PSB, Brothers In Rhythm, or otherwise. It will forever be in my PSB Top 10.

I do like Was It Worth It? and unlike DJ Culture, it's very "immediate". The unabashed pop vibrancy was a precursor to their upcoming works.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Dog

#14 Post by Dog »

Miracles, Flamboyant and Together are all excellent as well.
Woof.

leesmapman

#15 Post by leesmapman »

I'm very fond of Miracles.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk