Pet Shop Boys and Electronic fact/error

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dog

Re: Pet Shop Boys and Electronic fact/error

#16 Post by Dog »

Adding a bassline to a song, interestingly, wouldn’t usually translate into a songwriting credit.
Woof.

onzio

#17 Post by onzio »

Dog wrote: Tue 01 Jun 2021, 10:04 pm Adding a bassline to a song, interestingly, wouldn’t usually translate into a songwriting credit.
That's correct. the bassline is part of the arrangement and not of the writing.
To get writing credits you have to:

collaborate to the harmony of the track, i.e. chord sequence
collaborate to the melody, sequence of notes that identify sung or instrumental parts
collaborate to the lyrics

A bass line usually is a rythmic repetition with more or less variations on the root note of the chord.
It couldn't be copyrighted too. So is the drum/rythmic part-track.
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Spittingcat

#18 Post by Spittingcat »

KLF's "The Manual" explains all this stuff really well... a fun read as well.

retrofuturist

#19 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
onzio wrote: Thu 03 Jun 2021, 9:02 am It couldn't be copyrighted too. So is the drum/rythmic part-track.
So, if someone wanted... they could totally rip off the drum pattern and bassline from say, Blue Monday or West-End Girls, and that's totally allowable?

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

telys

#20 Post by telys »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 04 Jun 2021, 6:43 am Greetings,
onzio wrote: Thu 03 Jun 2021, 9:02 am It couldn't be copyrighted too. So is the drum/rythmic part-track.
So, if someone wanted... they could totally rip off the drum pattern and bassline from say, Blue Monday or West-End Girls, and that's totally allowable?

Well the bass can play the melody as well. I think Onzio refers to an underlying bassline which doesn't perform the melody.
It's understandable that Chris didn't receive writing credit but why didn't he get a performing credit?
----
You've got me all wrong

Dog

#21 Post by Dog »

telys wrote:

Well the bass can play the melody as well. I think Onzio refers to an underlying bassline which doesn't perform the melody.
It's understandable that Chris didn't receive writing credit but why didn't he get a performing credit?
Maybe he didn’t play it on the record. Presumably it was programmed.
Woof.

Parkol

#22 Post by Parkol »

Dissapointed
I listen to this song more often than others. I do not know why. An absolutely unique effect. You can listen to it constantly. Without Tennant, this song would be just a pass.

domino

#23 Post by domino »

Parkol wrote: Fri 04 Jun 2021, 9:39 am Dissapointed
I listen to this song more often than others. I do not know why. An absolutely unique effect. You can listen to it constantly. Without Tennant, this song would be just a pass.
I think it's one of the most gorgeous, dreamy, summery songs of all time. From the lyrics to the instrumentation and arrangement, it's just perfection. I mean, just listen to those harmonies! :clap:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

onzio

#24 Post by onzio »

It is very borderline, that is what courts and judges are for.
If it is recognizable probably you can get into trouble.
For the drum track the problem is when you sample it without permission. If you recreate it with your legitimate samples it is almost impossible to be charged with plagiarism.
The West End girls bassline is very peculiar, and probably could be considered a melody line. The Blue Monday one has been used on many records and no one credited NO. Oh also a chord sequence couldn't be copyrighted, if not together with its melody.
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

bongsteve

#25 Post by bongsteve »

Parkol wrote: Fri 04 Jun 2021, 9:39 am Dissapointed
It really is a fantastic song. Hopeful that one day PSB will play it on tour.

bongsteve

#26 Post by bongsteve »

Has there ever been a good quality recording of electronic live? Everything I've found has pretty much been very bad audience bootlegs.