THE NEW SINGLE IS..........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
bookshopboy

#91 Post by bookshopboy »

Of course, the other possibility is that Parlophone said the PSB that they would only release the album if there was a single to promote it. I remember that when PSB were recording the soundtrack, there were some issues about which record label was willing to take it on. Maybe as part of the agreement for Parlophone/EMI to release the album, PSB needed to release a single.

The only way that a single will work is if they perform the soundtrack again in the UK and if the film gets shown on UK television with the PSB soundtrack.

andmaste

#92 Post by andmaste »

By the way, my friend who is shop assistant in a record shop, just told me that I can already order NTFT (CD1+CD2+12").
I'm not talking of a big on-line record-shop, but of a little record-shop in Italy, in a very little town.
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

jamie1978

#93 Post by jamie1978 »

bookshopboy wrote:I doubt this track will be a single. I remember at the time of the BP show in September last year, that a website somewhere had a release date of the 13th September for the CD (ie the day after the show!).

The release details of this single are likely to be pure guess work - NTFT is really the only proper song on the soundtrack and therefore if a single were to be released it would be the only contender.
After All would be a better choice than that pile of MOR shite.

bookshopboy

#94 Post by bookshopboy »

jamie1978 wrote:
bookshopboy wrote:I doubt this track will be a single. I remember at the time of the BP show in September last year, that a website somewhere had a release date of the 13th September for the CD (ie the day after the show!).

The release details of this single are likely to be pure guess work - NTFT is really the only proper song on the soundtrack and therefore if a single were to be released it would be the only contender.
oh yeah, I forgot about that track - I agree, if there had to be a single release, then it would be a better choice...

westendboy87

#95 Post by westendboy87 »

jamie1978 wrote:
I totally agree.

Kris

#96 Post by Kris »

Zeus On The Loose wrote: This is *utter* bollocks. R1 played the lead single from Simply Red's previous album (the one with the Hall and Oats sample which I think was called Sunshine) to *absolute death*.

It so happens PSB are down the dumper. There's no reason why R1 should play list them. R1 A-listed every single PSB released up until and including Somewhere and several underperfomed anyway. I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more was B-listed. New York city boy was Single of the week and C-listed. R1 abandoned PSB a long time *after* their fanbase did. Radio stations are all about ratings and they wouldn't 'block' an act that's popular. Both R1 and Capital would play PSB if they were popular. They're not.
Are you sure about Radio 1 playing 'Sunshine' by Simply Red? Radio 2 certainly did play it to death but I'm pretty sure Radio 1 rejected it. The last Simply Red single I remember Radio 1 playlisting was 'Say You Love Me' in 1998.

I don't disagree with anything you said regarding PSB going down the dumper but my gripe with the likes of Radio 1 and Capital is the fact they have such a rigid and elitist playlist policy in the first place. A good song should be playlisted regardless of its artist and records should only be 'banned' if they contain offensive material.

Radio 1 used to play a bit of everything up until about 1995 and that was great - I remember when I had the odd day off school ill I would love listening to Radio 1 all day because you'd rarely hear a song more than once. Whereas now, of course, A-listed songs are played on practically every daytime show. Local radio has gone pretty much the same way.

I'm not saying Radio 1 and Capital should automatically A-list every PSB single because I agree with you that they're not popular enough in the UK anymore for that. However, I really don't see why the likes of 'Miracles' and 'Flamboyant' shouldn't have at least seen some airplay on the major stations because they were both great pop songs and, er, supposedly very radio friendly.

Going back to the original topic, I have to say I'm really not sure about the logic behind releasing 'No Time For Tears' as a single because, like Zeus says, I'd rather PSB made a proper comeback with their new material. But there's no point commenting further until it is officially confirmed - and I'll be surprised if it happens.
Last edited by Kris on Mon 06 Jun 2005, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Niall

#97 Post by Niall »

Naughty Zoot wrote:2 things ~~

1 * In defense of SirenDisc, their information is usually reliable.

However, as we've seen in the last few days on the Official site ....

Things Change.

Announced appearances get cancelled. Announced release dates move.
So ______ Be Patient.

2 * IF there is to be a single released from the Battleship Potemkin Soundtrack, this blurb indicates that the CD has 2 tracks.

I'm curious === What would be track 2 :?:
Paninaro '05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Evertonians are born not manufactured.
We do not choose; we are chosen.
Those who understand need no explanation.
Those that don't understand don't matter.

Ronald42

#98 Post by Ronald42 »

Niall wrote: Paninaro '05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's pray that that doesn't happen
THE FUTURE THAT YOU ANTICIPATED HAS BEEN CANCELLED

weirdalfan1980

#99 Post by weirdalfan1980 »

Ronald42 wrote:
Niall wrote: Paninaro '05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's pray that that doesn't happen
exactly! New stuff please.
Yo, Mr. Dopeman, you think your slick;
Ya sold crack to my sister, and now she's sick.
But if she happens to die, because of your drug;
Im puttin' in your culo, a .38 slug!

Zeus On The Loose

#100 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

bookshopboy wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote:
SPCD1035 wrote: That said, no doubt we're all daft enough to go out & buy every version of whatever they release :roll: :D
Actually, I won't. I'll refuse to buy No Time For Tears. There's so much loyalty one can have and that comes from someone who owns 17 copies of Release. I'm going to do what I did with Kylie's Slow i.e not buy it as means to protest against releasing crap.
And what will you do if it were to have really good b-sides? download them illegally???
Well, if it is to have really good b'sides, I'll buy it for the b'sides, but I doubt that it will, they'll probably add some instrumental cast offs the soundtrack to keep with the theme.
Does cameos only.

Ronald42

#101 Post by Ronald42 »

I really liked Slow :lol:
THE FUTURE THAT YOU ANTICIPATED HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Zeus On The Loose

#102 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Kris wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote: This is *utter* bollocks. R1 played the lead single from Simply Red's previous album (the one with the Hall and Oats sample which I think was called Sunshine) to *absolute death*.

It so happens PSB are down the dumper. There's no reason why R1 should play list them. R1 A-listed every single PSB released up until and including Somewhere and several underperfomed anyway. I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more was B-listed. New York city boy was Single of the week and C-listed. R1 abandoned PSB a long time *after* their fanbase did. Radio stations are all about ratings and they wouldn't 'block' an act that's popular. Both R1 and Capital would play PSB if they were popular. They're not.
Are you sure about Radio 1 playing 'Sunshine' by Simply Red? Radio 2 certainly did play it to death but I'm pretty sure Radio 1 rejected it. The last Simply Red single I remember Radio 1 playlisting was 'Say You Love Me' in 1998.

I don't disagree with anything you said regarding PSB going down the dumper but my gripe with the likes of Radio 1 and Capital is the fact they have such a rigid and elitist playlist policy in the first place. A good song should be playlisted regardless of its artist and records should only be 'banned' if they contain offensive material.

Radio 1 used to play a bit of everything up until about 1995 and that was great - I remember when I had the odd day off school ill I would love listening to Radio 1 all day because you'd rarely hear a song more than once. Whereas now, of course, A-listed songs are played on practically every daytime show. Local radio has gone pretty much the same way.

I'm not saying Radio 1 and Capital should automatically A-list every PSB single because I agree with you that they're not popular enough in the UK anymore for that. However, I really don't see why the likes of 'Miracles' and 'Flamboyant' shouldn't have at least seen some airplay on the major stations because they were both great pop songs and, er, supposedly very radio friendly.

Going back to the original topic, I have to say I'm really not sure about the logic behind releasing 'No Time For Tears' as a single because, like Zeus says, I'd rather PSB made a proper comeback with their new material. But there's no point commenting further until it is officially confirmed - and I'll be surprised if it happens.
Yes, the dance mix of Sunshine, whoever it was by, was play listed when the single made the Top-10.

I do agree that Miracles should have got more airplay -it got to the 30's in the airplay chart so it must have got airplay outside R2- because indeed it was a fab pop single, but PSB have themselves ruined their popularity by consecutive sub-standard releases so who's to blame? If Miracles was their comeback single in 1999, it would have been A-listed on R1 and got Top-5. If PSB followed Miracles up with a string of singles as strong -that got in the Top-10 too- and sold enough album, R1 would re-list them.
Does cameos only.

Janet Street-Porter

#103 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

Kris wrote:I don't disagree with anything you said regarding PSB going down the dumper but my gripe with the likes of Radio 1 and Capital is the fact they have such a rigid and elitist playlist policy in the first place. A good song should be playlisted regardless of its artist and records should only be 'banned' if they contain offensive material.

You are spot on. I hate most radio stations but Radio 1 is my bete noire because it is a public funded station and should not be allowed to target a specific age group. Why should somebody suddenly stop liking pop music at 24? Anyway, it's unlikely that scabs like Moyles and Whiley would play a song from Potemkin anyway.

redman

#104 Post by redman »

Spoke to Neil on this issue and the single is not yet officially confirmed. His words exactly:

-----------------
The single isn't confirmed yet, it's under discussion though. We'll put it on the site when/if the release is confirmed.
-----------------

We will ONLY post information to the site once its been officially confirmed between the Boys & Parlophone, so regardless of what anybody is saying or posting to mail order sites...nothing is final as of yet. So the couple emails I have received complaining of why we have not yet posted this news to the site (and perhaps any complaining in this thread about our slowness)...there's a reason.

On another note, I will be launching a quick contest to the site this evening. Stop by, answer the question to be entered into a random drawing for an autographed copy of "Songs of the Decade". There are 5 copies to give away. Check out the site to enter and find out what this 2-CD set is about.

Cheers,
bill

Devices

#105 Post by Devices »

Regarding Simply Red I think R1 may have played "Ain't That A Lot Of Love" in 1999, that was lead single from an album.

Miracles peaked at #31 on the airplay chart and did indeed get some spins outside R2. The commercial station I sometimes listen to online was giving it some plays here and there. On one occasion the dj came on after it ended and after giving the station id call said something like "and thats Miracles, the new one from the Pet Shop Boys, we haven't heard from them in a while have we?" This station is currently giving steady rotation to Jetstream, I hear it quite often, last I looked it was #23 on the airplay chart.