THE NEW SINGLE IS..........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
One of the crowd

#196 Post by One of the crowd » Mon 13 Jun 2005, 12:18 pm

Dont forget, CTFH? had 2 CD singles which were released in WK1 and WK2, whereas Before also had 2 CD Singles which, however, were released in WK1 only.
Fishing

Eldritch

#197 Post by Eldritch » Mon 13 Jun 2005, 1:13 pm

One of the crowd wrote:Dont forget, CTFH? had 2 CD singles which were released in WK1 and WK2, whereas Before also had 2 CD Singles which, however, were released in WK1 only.
Weren't the two SAVE cd singles also released on two consecutive weeks?
Click click drone

bookshopboy

#198 Post by bookshopboy » Mon 13 Jun 2005, 1:51 pm

Eldritch wrote:
One of the crowd wrote:Dont forget, CTFH? had 2 CD singles which were released in WK1 and WK2, whereas Before also had 2 CD Singles which, however, were released in WK1 only.
Weren't the two SAVE cd singles also released on two consecutive weeks?
yes - the remix CD came out the week after

Zeus On The Loose

#199 Post by Zeus On The Loose » Mon 13 Jun 2005, 2:31 pm

jamie1978 wrote:
To be fair, Can you forgive her? was a moderate European hit (top 20 in most countries) - Before on the other hand, did nothing at all.
Can you forgive her?? was not Top-20 in nearly any European country, I think it might have been Top-20 in Germany and maybe Spain, but nowhere I else.
I know you like Before, which is fine, but by just about every measure we have (chart run, sales, airplay) it was less effective as a single than Can you forgive her?. Can you forgive her?'s chart run was 7-7-14 for the first three weeks. Before's was 7-24-40.
I don't know how the Can you forgive her?? discussion happened but I don't see the point of comparing the two. What I've always said is Before got to #7 which is a chart position they still have to improve with their singles ever since so I don't accept that it was the colossal mistake people who don't like it always make it out to be because fact remains, it's their biggest chart hit since 1996 in the UK.
Does cameos only.

Hattom

#200 Post by Hattom » Mon 13 Jun 2005, 2:41 pm

Excuse my forgetfulness (it WAS a long time ago!), but which was the song they encored at the Trafalgar Square performance? I hope it was NTFT, as I remember it being the better of the two. After initially finding it a bit bland and characterless, it started growing on me even as I dashed away to catch the last train from Victoria!

dVTB

#201 Post by dVTB » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 9:02 pm

I haven't read this full topic, so I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I found a website that even gives a catalogue number for the new PSB single "No Time For Tears".

According to this website http://www.cobraside.com/catalog/Mailin ... _2005.html the number for the 12-inch is: 12R 6672

Naughty Zoot

#202 Post by Naughty Zoot » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 4:57 am

I just checked Siren's site & here's a bit more to chew on:

Battleship Potemkin
UK release of the duo's 2005 album.
Format: CD
Expected Release Date: 29-Aug-05
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

#203 Post by Guest » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 9:28 am

I didn't have the chance to hear neither the song nor the whole soundtrack, but for what others told me it sounds good, a perfect mix of electonic and orchestra, tha's what i love!! :up:
I can't wait for the 29th August!! :pray:

Ewok

#204 Post by Ewok » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 10:16 am

Zeus On The Loose wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:
To be fair, Can you forgive her? was a moderate European hit (top 20 in most countries) - Before on the other hand, did nothing at all.
Can you forgive her?? was not Top-20 in nearly any European country, I think it might have been Top-20 in Germany and maybe Spain, but nowhere I else.
Yes, 'Can you forgive her?' reached #17 in Germany.

glennjridge

#205 Post by glennjridge » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 12:23 pm

*Jealousy* wrote:I didn't have the chance to hear neither the song nor the whole soundtrack, but for what others told me it sounds good, a perfect mix of electonic and orchestra, tha's what i love!! :up:
I think its a beautiful song and it does mix an orchestra with sort of chris style electronic bleeps and computer sounds. neils voice sounds like its soaring high on the "one for and all for one" parts

#206 Post by Guest » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 1:56 pm

glennjridge wrote:
*Jealousy* wrote:I didn't have the chance to hear neither the song nor the whole soundtrack, but for what others told me it sounds good, a perfect mix of electonic and orchestra, tha's what i love!! :up:
I think its a beautiful song and it does mix an orchestra with sort of chris style electronic bleeps and computer sounds. neils voice sounds like its soaring high on the "one for and all for one" parts
Wow! i guess it must be great!! :dance: i can't look forward to listen to it!!!

jamie1978

#207 Post by jamie1978 » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 2:24 pm

*Jealousy* wrote:
glennjridge wrote:
Wow! i guess it must be great!! :dance: i can't look forward to listen to it!!!
Dont believe it for a second. No Time for Tears is the worst PSB single they have ever released. Its truly shocking. Its even worse than 'Somewhere'. Its like a small deformed child you would cover up in family photographs and keep locked in the cellar.

However, the soundtrack is truly brilliant. After All is a great track. The climax is fanstastic - booming electro and stabbing orchestral strings. You'll love it.

bookshopboy

#208 Post by bookshopboy » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 2:33 pm

jamie1978 wrote:No Time for Tears is the worst PSB single they have ever released
So have you heard the single version?

jamie1978

#209 Post by jamie1978 » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 2:44 pm

bookshopboy wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:No Time for Tears is the worst PSB single they have ever released
So have you heard the single version?
Well, short of re-writing it and releasing a completely different song, a few tweaks here and there is going to make no difference, and it would be ludicrous to claim 'tighter production' or 'extra vocal layers' will improve anything.

Its the whole song - not just poor production as in the 'Red Letter Day' album version, which clearly did need a tidy-up, so this whole notion that a 'single version' will salvage anything is utter bollox.

Also single versions are usually worse than the album ones, when it comes to the PSB's at least - remember 'Yesterday, when I was mad' or 'Flamboyant'?

dVTB

#210 Post by dVTB » Thu 16 Jun 2005, 3:03 pm

jamie1978 wrote:... a few tweaks here and there is going to make no difference, and it would be ludicrous to claim 'tighter production' or 'extra vocal layers' will improve anything. Its the whole song - not just poor production as in the 'Red Letter Day' album version, which clearly did need a tidy-up, so this whole notion that a 'single version' will salvage anything is utter bollox. Also single versions are usually worse than the album ones, when it comes to the PSB's at least - remember 'Yesterday, when I was mad' or 'Flamboyant'?
Hmmmm, I think that's a matter of personal taste. I prefer the single versions of the songs you mentioned. And you did NOT mention several other PSB single versions, which suggests you don't consider those worse than the album ones? - Suburbia? Heart? It's Alright? How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing? A Red Letter Day?

If you dislike what you've heard of "No Time For Tears" so far, well... then the single version isn't going to be much better, indeed. But if you like the song (like I do), you can hope for a good single version :D I guess it just depends on personal taste.