THE NEW SINGLE IS..........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

#46 Post by Undertaker »

madhatter88 wrote:Not knocking the song Dave because obviously I haven't heard it, just questioning the logic of releasing a single for a soundtrack of an event that took place nearly a year ago. It doesn't make commercial sense, especially as single releases are loss making exercises anyway.

Why not just concentrate on the new material which is long overdue, by the time the new album is released it will be 4 years between studio albums.
S'ok, i know it wasn't you questioning the song. I've not heard it either but i don't see this release as the wrong thing to do. I've not heard anything from BP and i'm not really interested in it as a whole but i'll look forward to a single.

I cannot see this release effecting the new album at all. It could be a good thing. Because the film is so famous, this release will probably generate good publicity. They can use this to start promoting the new album. Telling everyone that they will be releasing a new album next year, letting fans know they wont have to wait much longer. I know we all know on here that that new material is imminent, but thousands wont know.

PopArt did sell over 100,000 copies, probably double that now, so there is still interest.

There was something else i was going to add but i'm concentrating so much on the horse racing, i've forgotten.

Dave

Trixiemix

#47 Post by Trixiemix »

The new single is......Greatly anticipated.

Enrique

#48 Post by Enrique »

come on... I'm more excited on a single release than previous off album projects (ie. BTM, Tranquilizer...)
Unadiscoteca: PSB en español http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/unadiscoteca

Zeus On The Loose

#49 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

dVTB wrote:Interesting news. Looks like they've learned their lesson from the commercial disaster named Disco 3. You need a single to promote your album. Perhaps they should have picked After All, but No Time For Tears is an OK track too. It won't have a massive commercial appeal, but knowing the large PSB fanbase, it will easily hit the UK Top 20, creating some attention for the album.
Firstly, Disco 3 was released *instead* of releasing a 3 part single, namely London, and despite not selling a lot, it probably made some money in the long run whereas a single release of London would have ruined their Top-20 chart run and would have lost money.

Secondly, Battleship Potempkin OST is not a PSB album. It's the OST of an ancient film that won't be shown in theatres and as such, doesn't need a single to promote it. Promote it to who and for what reason exactly?

Thirdly, it's not certain that it will hit the UK Top-20, we don't know how big the fanbase is at the moment. They got to #10 and #12 with Miracles and Flamboyant, I can't see how a bland generic ballad of Neil whining that turns into Red Letter Day later can hold up to those two.

Writing the score was incredibly self-indulgent, good for them for being able to still be given opportunities to self-indulge.

Releasing a CD OST -when a DVD of the film would have been more than enough- of it despite it not being particularly good and not making any sense whatsoever outside the context of the film is a semi-acceptable way to milk the fans out of some money, good for them that Parlophone *still* supports them.

But releasing No Time For Fears as a *single* when it's crap, won't sell any albums, will only lose money, will lessen the hype of their proper comeback, and reaffirm that they're a couple of old, dull, self-indulgent queens who have lost it when they're trying to re-establish themselves as a credible electronic band by working with Trevor Horn and some cutting edge dance people, is a big mistake.

And well, I hate to piss on everyone's parade but just because they're releasing *something*, it means nothing if it's not as good as a PSB record ought to be.
Does cameos only.

Very

#50 Post by Very »

Oh, boy..oh, boy..oh, boy!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :boo:
Madrid / Bucharest 2007

One of the crowd

#51 Post by One of the crowd »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:Battleship Potempkin OST is not a PSB album.
So who plays on it then?

sweetrevenge

#52 Post by sweetrevenge »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:
dVTB wrote:Interesting news. Looks like they've learned their lesson from the commercial disaster named Disco 3. You need a single to promote your album. Perhaps they should have picked After All, but No Time For Tears is an OK track too. It won't have a massive commercial appeal, but knowing the large PSB fanbase, it will easily hit the UK Top 20, creating some attention for the album.
Firstly, Disco 3 was released *instead* of releasing a 3 part single, namely London, and despite not selling a lot, it probably made some money in the long run whereas a single release of London would have ruined their Top-20 chart run and would have lost money.

Secondly, Battleship Potempkin OST is not a PSB album. It's the OST of an ancient film that won't be shown in theatres and as such, doesn't need a single to promote it. Promote it to who and for what reason exactly?

Thirdly, it's not certain that it will hit the UK Top-20, we don't know how big the fanbase is at the moment. They got to #10 and #12 with Miracles and Flamboyant, I can't see how a bland generic ballad of Neil whining that turns into Red Letter Day later can hold up to those two.

Writing the score was incredibly self-indulgent, good for them for being able to still be given opportunities to self-indulge.

Releasing a CD OST -when a DVD of the film would have been more than enough- of it despite it not being particularly good and not making any sense whatsoever outside the context of the film is a semi-acceptable way to milk the fans out of some money, good for them that Parlophone *still* supports them.

But releasing No Time For Fears as a *single* when it's crap, won't sell any albums, will only lose money, will lessen the hype of their proper comeback, and reaffirm that they're a couple of old, dull, self-indulgent queens who have lost it when they're trying to re-establish themselves as a credible electronic band by working with Trevor Horn and some cutting edge dance people, is a big mistake.

And well, I hate to piss on everyone's parade but just because they're releasing *something*, it means nothing if it's not as good as a PSB record ought to be.
when's the last time you found a PSB track chosen as a single was as good as you think it ought to be.
There is no irony or agressivity in my question, i'm just curious to know Zeus

joncool5

#53 Post by joncool5 »

Battleship Potemkin only contains 73 minutes of new PSB recordings, how can this be considered a full-on project? I think the soundtrack is the most cutting-edge thing they've done for a while and is very electronic in places.
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Issey Miyake

#54 Post by Issey Miyake »

I certainly hope the soundtrack isn't like Neil's cd from the back to mine. I'm looking forward to the release and the single; I have heard it and like it but they need a really dancey single to get back on top. I know Neil likes history and that but this film is really old and has subtitles and will only appeal to a small click.

Looking foward to the new album with Trevor Horn though :D

Zeus On The Loose

#55 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

sweetrevenge wrote: when's the last time you found a PSB track chosen as a single was as good as you think it ought to be.
There is no irony or agressivity in my question, i'm just curious to know Zeus
Miracles.
Does cameos only.

Zeus On The Loose

#56 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

One of the crowd wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote:Battleship Potempkin OST is not a PSB album.
So who plays on it then?
It's a soundtrack album for a film with music written by PSB. It's as much of a PSB album as the Closer To Heaven album or Results.
Does cameos only.

jamie1978

#57 Post by jamie1978 »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:

I have to say I agree with this.

Its a poor choice for a single, a distinctly average song with no particularly memorable features (apart from the RLD cheese fest at the end). Its just not good enough to be a single and that really is the issue here.

All it will serve to do is remind people (if any radio station bothers to play it) how dated and cheesy the PSB's can be when they try hard enough.

If they insist on releasing a single from this soundtrack, it should be After All - darker and more in keeping with their return to the electro fold. But I have to say, I dont know why they are bothering with a single release anyway. And in particular, I dont know why they are bothering to release a single which will;

Do nothing in the chart
Not get played on any radio stations
Harm their electronic 'comeback' at a time when they could actually make a convincing stab at their best ever album

Glenny4

#58 Post by Glenny4 »

But thats what PSB do, they like doing unexpected things and most of the time f*** up.

Nothing new always will happen, i think they like widening up there fans :P

glennjridge

#59 Post by glennjridge »

Its an adverage song in YOUR opinion.I think its a great song.you know, not everyone knows whats a great song before its released. the very same people who say it sucks are most likely the very same people who would love it if the drums were going 140 bpm.

some of you need to take your mock horror down a notch.you arent the multimillionaire songwriters. they are.
their choices made them rich.if they started listening to this bunch here they would still trapped in 1985 forever or be using drums that sound like machine guns in a echo chamber and asking for chris to sing more.

Naughty Zoot

#60 Post by Naughty Zoot »

2 things ~~

1 * In defense of SirenDisc, their information is usually reliable.

However, as we've seen in the last few days on the Official site ....

Things Change.

Announced appearances get cancelled. Announced release dates move.
So ______ Be Patient.

2 * IF there is to be a single released from the Battleship Potemkin Soundtrack, this blurb indicates that the CD has 2 tracks.

I'm curious === What would be track 2 :?:
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...