Live 8

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

#76 Post by Undertaker »

jamie1978 wrote: I dont say it as if its a bad thing - I say it as if its a fact. It doesnt stop me enjoying them live, but for big events they just can't cut it.
Agree to an extent. Obviously it depends on what the crowd is made up of. If it was a crowd made up of older people they would be fine.

Didn't they do a concert for Gay Pride? Cannot remember if that went ahead but they would be fine with something like that. I don't think U2 would cope with a load of teenagers in the crowd.

Dave

Zeus On The Loose

#77 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

U2 would cope with any crowd because they are a stadium rock band. PSB wouldn't cope with *any* crowd outside the loyal fanbase.
Does cameos only.

jamie1978

#78 Post by jamie1978 »

Undertaker wrote:
jamie1978 wrote: I dont say it as if its a bad thing - I say it as if its a fact. It doesnt stop me enjoying them live, but for big events they just can't cut it.
Agree to an extent. Obviously it depends on what the crowd is made up of. If it was a crowd made up of older people they would be fine.

Didn't they do a concert for Gay Pride? Cannot remember if that went ahead but they would be fine with something like that. I don't think U2 would cope with a load of teenagers in the crowd.

Dave
Are you kidding? U2 are, remarkably, still at something of a zenith in their popularity. Whether we like it or not, they are the biggest band on the planet. And to push out songs of the calibre of Beautiful Day and Vertigo so far into their career - well, you do have to take your hat off to them.

Undertaker

#79 Post by Undertaker »

jamie1978 wrote: Are you kidding? U2 are, remarkably, still at something of a zenith in their popularity. Whether we like it or not, they are the biggest band on the planet. And to push out songs of the calibre of Beautiful Day and Vertigo so far into their career - well, you do have to take your hat off to them.
Maybe so but that doesn't mean they will be popular with school kids!

Dave

Janet Street-Porter

#80 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

PSB were never about cutting it live. Their shows were all about spectacle - in many ways the recent 'greatest hits' sets are the antithesis of what they used to be about.

That's not to say they're bad - it's just that Neil's voice and occasional slaps of the thigh are never going to bear comparison with Bono's ego and opera-lite voice. Did anybody see the (excellent) Live Aid documentary at the weekend? Not only did those great humanitarians U2 threaten to pull out over a soundcheck but when they performed Bono went into the audience and started slow dancing with some girl. He was *emoting*. :sick:

Give me Neil's dodgy vocals and the best pop songs of the last twenty years any day of the week.

Zeus On The Loose

#81 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Janet Street-Porter wrote: Give me Neil's dodgy vocals and the best pop songs of the last twenty years any day of the week.
Yes, however, when the spectacle dried out because of smaller venues and budgets, the raw PSB live is pretty dull even for a lot of fans, let alone arena festival attendants. So, we shouldn't really complain that PSB were not asked to do Live8. I must say though, that I prefer the best pop songs of the last 20 years playing in my home without dodgy live vocals and an uneventful live performance ala Release Tour.
Does cameos only.

Janet Street-Porter

#82 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

Ever the Cynic, Zeus. :D

You're right in that their descent into the amorphous world of University campuses was anathema to the Imperial majesty of their pomp; but I can't accept that it wasn't done without that familiar knowing wink - "It's not as easy as it was or as difficult as it could be"

Zeus On The Loose

#83 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

There was no familiar knowing wink. There was a lot of 'we can only make money by touring these days so let's do a lot of that with as little budget as possible in cheap and small venues we can easily sell out'.
Does cameos only.

Flaffer

#84 Post by Flaffer »

jamie1978 wrote: And to push out songs of the calibre of Beautiful Day and Vertigo so far into their career - well, you do have to take your hat off to them.
what 'The Sun Always Shines On TV' rip off and Hello, hello I'm in a place called Vertigo.....yeah,yeah,yeah. U2 will always be the rock equivalent of The Emperors New Clothes, they have nothing original to say, are bland, have a complete jerk as a lead singer and can only make semi interesting albums when a producer of the calibre of Brian Eno is on board.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Janet Street-Porter

#85 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

"It's all about the music, man"

Flaffer

#86 Post by Flaffer »

wooooah rock 'n' roll
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

#87 Post by Guest »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:U2 would cope with any crowd because they are a stadium rock band. PSB wouldn't cope with *any* crowd outside the loyal fanbase.
sad but true!!! :( :cry:

jamie1978

#88 Post by jamie1978 »

Flaffer wrote:
jamie1978 wrote: And to push out songs of the calibre of Beautiful Day and Vertigo so far into their career - well, you do have to take your hat off to them.
what 'The Sun Always Shines On TV' rip off and Hello, hello I'm in a place called Vertigo.....yeah,yeah,yeah. U2 will always be the rock equivalent of The Emperors New Clothes, they have nothing original to say, are bland, have a complete jerk as a lead singer and can only make semi interesting albums when a producer of the calibre of Brian Eno is on board.
I'm not a huge fan of U2, but your tirade is meaningless - the subjective viewpoint of an induvidual.

They are still the biggest band on the planet, sell millions upon millions of albums, and sell out stadiums across the globe. They are doing something very right, whatever that may be. And I'm sorry, but compare 'Vertigo' with 'Home and dry'.... need I say more?

psb-freak

#89 Post by psb-freak »

Janet Street-Porter wrote:Image

"It's all about the music, man"
Neil is so sweet in that pic.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Zeus On The Loose

#90 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Yes. A bit like the Carpenters with less hair.

:roll:
Does cameos only.