Live 8

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Janet Street-Porter

#106 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

I'm not really bothered about Live8 - that's not pessimism; it's just recognizing that one concert is not going to change anything.

If governments stopped selling arms to Africa or exploiting the Third World in the name of Mammon, things might improve but assuaging liberal guilt will not change the world.

skyhigh

#107 Post by skyhigh »

justice is done.
That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

Syncratic

#108 Post by Syncratic »

For a group who once puported to go against every rock cliche they are surely making up for it now.

To be fair I'm indifferent either way and I have to say that from the way the boys have become so establishment and part of every clique over the past few years, I'm hardly surprised.

Yes it's probably a good if futile cause, yes, it's not strictly a charity thing, yes they might get some promotion, albeit marginal but that wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't been for all those bold statements and ideas they once stood for, didn't seem a tad embarassing now.

We may rationalise it and say 'everyone can change' or 'for christ's sake it's just a bloody show' and even relax our own opinions to suit Tennant's, but let's remember that there are some of us who stand by those original ideas and opinions about rock music long before many of us found the name/label dropping tiresome and embarassing.

I recall an interview when they took the piss out of the Freddie Mecury tribute gig which was also used to raise Aids awareness. They joke about doing a version of 'We Will Rock you' in their pointy hats and a drum machine. before dimissing it.

Perhaps its irony. They'll probably do a duet with Sting via satallite, sa version of Russians to make the locals guilty and raise awareness. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Deschanel

#109 Post by Deschanel »

Shoot. I'm confused, impaired, and i didn't get the memo.

Are PSB participating in Live8?

Feel free to laff at me btw~
:)

psb-freak

#110 Post by psb-freak »

They WILL perform there. Check official site.

They show some Live8 in here but ONLY from London, Philadelphia, Berlin, Paris and Rome. :grumble: I was so furious when I read that only those are being shown here.

Could any very sweet and very kind person record it, please ?!
I wouldn´t like to miss it.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Eldritch

#111 Post by Eldritch »

psb-freak wrote: They show some Live8 in here but ONLY from London, Philadelphia, Berlin, Paris and Rome. :grumble: I was so furious when I read that only those are being shown here.
I'm aghast too. Just imagine: we are missing the chance of a lifetime to see Moral Code X, Spleen and Valery Sutkin all at the same concert. This is once in a lifetime kind of opportunity and the Finnish tv botches it.
Click click drone

Zeus On The Loose

#112 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Just goes to show I was right when I said thay hadn't been asked and if they were asked they would do it these days. The whole Live8 thing is such a farce. They won't even raise money like Live Aid, nah, it's a concert for rock stars to suck up to Bush, poodle and co.

Bring on West End Girls and Go West then :roll: Hopefully Neil won't introduce Go West by saying 'Twelve years ago we shot the video for this single here in Red Square, feels good to be back here, this is GO WEST!!!!'
Does cameos only.

Zeus On The Loose

#113 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

psb-freak wrote:They WILL perform there. Check official site.

They show some Live8 in here but ONLY from London, Philadelphia, Berlin, Paris and Rome. :grumble: I was so furious when I read that only those are being shown here.

Don't get too aggrevated sweetheart, your leg hair might fall out and we wouldn't want that, would we?
Does cameos only.

Vicki

#114 Post by Vicki »

psb-freak wrote:They WILL perform there. Check official site.

I'll ask my mum to do it from the TV and I'll make some video shots from the concert. But there is only one question - how to get5 tickets? Or will it be free? Does anyone know? In London it's an sms-lottery but here in Moscow there wasn't any lottery at all and I guess there won't be...

Does anyone know how to get the tickets??? :(
It will be broadcast on Channel One. Channel One? What the f**** that? Do they mean BBC1? They better do.
It's Russian Channel 1 - ORT.

jamie1978

#115 Post by jamie1978 »

How fun.

It seems like any group not quite famous enough to cut it for the main event in London, gets their ego stroked better by offering them a post in the colonies.

For example:

A-ha - Berlin
Duran Duran - Rome
Craig David - Paris
Pet Shop Boys - Moscow

Looks like they've drawn the shortest possible straw.

Still, they are popular in Russia so I'm sure it will go down well.

Eldritch

#116 Post by Eldritch »

jamie1978 wrote:How fun.

It seems like any group not quite famous enough to cut it for the main event in London, gets their ego stroked better by offering them a post in the colonies.

For example:

A-ha - Berlin
Duran Duran - Rome
Craig David - Paris
Pet Shop Boys - Moscow
That's true, but A-ha are still very popular in Germany as well as Duran Duran are in Italy, so it's not only about getting a consolation prize – in those places these bands (don't know about Craig David though) are still credible headliners.
Click click drone

Zeus On The Loose

#117 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Are PSB headlining in Moscow? That's not too bad then. Cheap rent boys ahoy.

Mind you, Duran Duran could even play in London given that their UK tour was a massive arena sell-out. Heck, they sold out a 20K venue last week in Athens, PSB strived to sell 1,500 tickets here with the Release show.
Does cameos only.

jamie1978

#118 Post by jamie1978 »

Yes, they are the headline act - the other acts are Russian

www.live8live.com

Zeus On The Loose

#119 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

jamie1978 wrote:Yes, they are the headline act - the other acts are Russian

www.live8live.com
Oh, quite pathetic then.
Does cameos only.

psb-freak

#120 Post by psb-freak »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:Are PSB headlining in Moscow? That's not too bad then. Cheap rent boys ahoy.
I immediately started to think about those boys in sailor outfits last year in St.Petersburg, whom Chris loved so much. :lol:
Hope Vicki gets that show on video. :D
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.