Rent, the perfect pop song?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
shaunh7

Rent, the perfect pop song?

#1 Post by shaunh7 »

Anybody else read this in a newpaper a few years ago.
A professor of music said that rent was technically one of the best songs ever written.
It was on about the chord changes and the melody, not being a musician I can't remember exactly what was said but would be interested to know if anyone else could remember this.

E-Mail Vampire

#2 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

I don't know what was said but I hate rent. I find it boring. I Want To Wake Up should have been a single instead imo!

Avalon

#3 Post by Avalon »

I can't get over it that some PSB do not like "Rent". What is there not to like? Another track lots of you don't seem to like is "Before", but that I can still somehow imagine - even though I like it a lot - because I suppose it is quite un-PSB in many ways.

Okay, you don't have to love "Rent" but at least like it, for my sake

rabagast

Re: Rent, the perfect pop song?

#4 Post by rabagast »

shaunh7 wrote:Anybody else read this in a newpaper a few years ago.
A professor of music said that rent was technically one of the best songs ever written.
It was on about the chord changes and the melody, not being a musician I can't remember exactly what was said but would be interested to know if anyone else could remember this.
The chorus chord change is indeed very clever, and impressive for someone who, at that point, had only written an handful of songs.

glennjridge

#5 Post by glennjridge »

fantastic song. bad recording of it. for me,their version of it lets the song down.
I thought the perfomance version of it was kinda beautiful and I also like the discovery live version. but the version they recorded sounds thin and weak IMO.

Eldritch

#6 Post by Eldritch »

E-Mail Vampire wrote:I don't know what was said but I hate rent.
For a while I thought you were dissing the divine song by the Pet Shop Boys, but then to my relief I realized that you were only noting how tiresome it is to pay for an accommodation every month. Whew.
Click click drone

psb-freak

#7 Post by psb-freak »

Rent is quite good actually. Although it´s not on my PSB Top10
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

BlueSwan

#8 Post by BlueSwan »

It's a brilliant song, but I still think it is utter nonsense to talk about a "technically" perfect song. Pop perfection cannot be deduced from musical theory.l
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

E-Mail Vampire

#9 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

lol was on about the song.

#10 Post by Guest »

Rent is one of my favourite PSB tracks ever! :D
and also i feel a sort of "affection" for this song, because i definitively fell in love with Neil, Chris and their music just watching the Rent video on tv one night in the far 1987.....

raggatwin

#11 Post by raggatwin »

I love the FK 12" mix of this, rhytmically the song is fantastic.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

joncool5

#12 Post by joncool5 »

Rent is probably as near to perfection as you can get, I was thinking the other week about how technically good it is. It's not my favourite PSB track but it's one of their better songs.
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Jack

#13 Post by Jack »

Funnily enough, I once said to my Dad that it was a perfect pop song (this was phrase I'd heard the PSBs use about True Faith by New Order). My Dad told me sternly that there was no such thing as a perfect pop song. So there!

Though I rarely put it on now, I think it's a wonderful song...but I'm surprised that a music theorist would say it was perfect from that point of view. There is nothing very clever about the chord change as far as I can see, it's actually fairly obvious. Just with the rhythm that has been set, it sounds great. I used to play it on an accoustic guitar...I think Suede did a guitar version live once, and may even have been joined by Neil onstage?

Eldritch

#14 Post by Eldritch »

Jack wrote:I think Suede did a guitar version live once, and may even have been joined by Neil onstage?
They did. The live version can be heard on the b-side of Suede's Filmstar (1997) single.
Click click drone

Jack

#15 Post by Jack »

...one thing that IS of course clever about the song is the lyric. Especially:

I love you
You pay my rent

Which stands up to more debate than most pop lyrics (as in the book Literally).