Do you like or hate metamorphosis and electricity?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
DJAMIX

#31 Post by DJAMIX »

I din't hate anything by PSB. But both songs I love less... :wink:
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

RaciePSB

#32 Post by RaciePSB »

I LOVE 'Metamorphisis'. It's very clever and catchy. I first realised PSB were gay when I heard that song. I was driving along listening to it, and thought 'hold on.. Neil's singing about a bloke.. OMG.. they're gay?' I like the rappy sound of it - they do it so well.
Rachel
Happily PSB-obsessed since 1986

psb-freak

#33 Post by psb-freak »

I bought Bilingual when I had been fan for about 1-2 weeks. And I really didn´t realise they´re gay. I had been fan for few months until I read in Neil´s interview about it. :lol:
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Vince

#34 Post by Vince »

psb-freak wrote:I bought Bilingual when I had been fan for about 1-2 weeks. And I really didn´t realise they´re gay. I had been fan for few months until I read in Neil´s interview about it. :lol:
few months for you to find out? I found out Neil was gay like in late 2000 after being a 'fan' for more than a year!! Actually the friend who introduced me to PSB music mentioned it in passing..... i was shocked to say the least!!
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

ArseSpanker

#35 Post by ArseSpanker »

Nothing shocking about that, except it taking so long to find out perhaps.

For my money, Metamorphosis and Electricity are two of the best tracks on the distinctly average Bi-Lingual.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect or represent those of its author.

Dreamcatcher2003

#36 Post by Dreamcatcher2003 »

Janet Street-Porter wrote:Metamorphosis is awful; it was the moment that I realised PSB were mortal after all. It's such a forced song - "I'M GAY DON'T YOU KNOW? AND IF YOU DON'T I'M GOING TO DO THE GAYEST RAP EVER!"

It was the precursor of other crap out-and-proud songs like New York city boy and In denial.

Ovid turned in his grave.

Totally agreed...This is the beginning of a period during which the Boys took the "gay" trait to extreme point...even "Please" was shouting that they were gay but it was very sublime...A once-fanatic friend of mine had pointed out that Neil very rarely used (or never used but I am sure this is not possible) "she" or "her" or any female-connoting word until "Bet she's not your girl".

Musically, it was not the first time I was disappointed with Boys-Behaviour and Very had told me that the Boys' finest hour was now behind so Bilingual did actually surprised me- while Metamorphosis and Electricity are not to-die-for songs they are better than "that's the way s--t is" and "Saturday Night Forever" and not worse than, say, "One and one make five" or "yesterday when I was mad" (uberexcellent lyrics, one of the worst tunes) or "to face the truth"- and second half of Bilingual plus Discoteca make Bilingual their best album in 90s- at least the only one in 90s with cool gritty urban angst and aloofness in the Boys' trade mark way, which I suspect and fear and worry that they will never do it again
The CELL by Stephen King instantly hit number 1 in New York Times Bookseller Lists selling well over 200 thousand copies in three weeks. This affirms my opinion: People really need an occassional good horror read...

dancemaster

#37 Post by dancemaster »

Metamorphosis is ace. Electricity made me realise psb are human after all. First really bad album-track they made in my opinion.

Billingual seem to be the album where fans have the most different opinions for love or hate the album. I think Billingual is great but still dissapointing after fabulous Behaviour and Very. And why on earth release Before as a first single? Such a dull song.

Eldritch

#38 Post by Eldritch »

The biggest mistake is to have them as tracks number three and four. The album has already started out in a rather experimental vein (for PSB at least) with Discoteca and Single, so the listener longs for some kind of melodic reassurance and not two of the most curveball tracks they've ever put on an album.

Personally I kind of like Electricity: it's a joke but a good joke, but should really have been on the second half of the album. Metamorphosis I have never liked, not because of the openly gay lyrics, but the whole feel of the song is so tacky and forced and felt dated even in 1996 (it's produced by Brothers In Rhythm who were never that good in the first place and well out of fashion even then).
Click click drone

Mattis

#39 Post by Mattis »

Electricity is a masterpiece. One of PSB`s treasures. It may have been suited better on a B-side than on that album, but still one of my favourites form Bilingual. 8)
Metamorphosis... is my least favourite track on the album. Too much stress, too much 'dance'... Skip it!! :twisted:

raggatwin

#40 Post by raggatwin »

Eldritch wrote:The biggest mistake is to have them as tracks number three and four. The album has already started out in a rather experimental vein (for PSB at least) with Discoteca and Single, so the listener longs for some kind of melodic reassurance and not two of the most curveball tracks they've ever put on an album.

Personally I kind of like Electricity: it's a joke but a good joke, but should really have been on the second half of the album. Metamorphosis I have never liked, not because of the openly gay lyrics, but the whole feel of the song is so tacky and forced and felt dated even in 1996 (it's produced by Brothers In Rhythm who were never that good in the first place and well out of fashion even then).
i'm sure it was K Klass who produced Metamorphisis, but yes, they too, had fallen from grace by then..
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Eldritch

#41 Post by Eldritch »

raggatwin wrote:i'm sure it was K Klass who produced Metamorphisis, but yes, they too, had fallen from grace by then..
Oh yes, you are totally correct, I remembered wrong. K-Klass weren't that good even in 1993 when they were supposed to be good.
Click click drone

raggatwin

#42 Post by raggatwin »

yeah they sort of peaked with Rhythm is a Mystery.....
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

jamie1978

#43 Post by jamie1978 »

raggatwin wrote:yeah they sort of peaked with Rhythm is a Mystery.....
I dunno - wasnt "Let me show you" released in 1995? That was pretty huge at the time, I imagine Chris loved that track - its his sort of thing.

Provider

#44 Post by Provider »

I would never play Meta or Electricity when there are other people in the room. I think they rank among the most embarrasing songs the PSB has ever done.

Sohard

#45 Post by Sohard »

And who likes "the sound of the attom splitting"????....I like it, but I'm afraid of that song :mrgreen: