Morrissey on the Boys and Alan Bennett in Time Out

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tweety

#16 Post by tweety » Mon 27 Jun 2005, 8:27 pm

Native wrote:Along the same lines, Mr Little Brit interviewed Noel G for The Guardian and there are a couple of PSB mentions late on....

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/stor ... 23,00.html
Man, who gives a shit about PSB when Paul McKenna gets mentioned!
"Wakey, wakey, rise and shine" - those were the days.
"At one time singers had to use musicians to accompany them. Since synthesizers came along, singers can now play with themselves"

http://petshopboys.proboards58.com

Janet Street-Porter

#17 Post by Janet Street-Porter » Mon 27 Jun 2005, 9:23 pm

I think all that marching powder has made Noel forget Single-Bilingual. He's a *closet* fan really.

psb-freak

#18 Post by psb-freak » Tue 28 Jun 2005, 7:52 am

Not David Walliams again. :shock:

DW: I bumped into Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys the other day and told him I'd be interviewing Noel Gallagher. He said I should ask you some Smash Hits-type questions. Like, where do you buy your clothes ... what did you have for breakfast?

NG: OK, well, what did I have for breakfast? A bowl of All Bran with raisins in it, that I put in myself.

DW: Do you have any guilty pleasures? Do you like acts you shouldn't like? Do you like the Pet Shop Boys?

NG: I kind of like 'West End Girls'.

That kind of proves that there´s something intimate going on with neil and David Walliams. :lol: PSB mentioned twice.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Eldritch

#19 Post by Eldritch » Tue 28 Jun 2005, 8:12 am

Why is PSB a band that Noel "shouldn't like"? Because they use poofy synths instead of manly guitars? What a sad question.
Click click drone

loon

#20 Post by loon » Wed 29 Jun 2005, 6:20 pm

Eldritch wrote:
loon wrote:It's the only Morrissey biography I've read. I know there are others but I'm sure it's all just the same story regurgitated different ways.
If you're interested in reading another one, I recommend heartily Johnny Rogan's Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance. It ends in 1987, but paints a really well-researched and revealing picture about Moz's youth and the Smiths years. No wonder Moz hates the book so much.
Thanks, I'll look that up :)
what's the difference between a rabbit that exercises every day and a rabbit that wears a red nose?

One is a fit bunny and the other is a bit funny.

Native

#21 Post by Native » Wed 29 Jun 2005, 7:26 pm

Found ’The Severed Alliance’ almost too detailed. The research, particularly the family history, must have been painstaking. There is so much myth with Mozzer (and Johnny Marr), that his own autobiography should be interesting, although I sense it will cloud more than it will clear up.

Eldritch

#22 Post by Eldritch » Thu 30 Jun 2005, 8:05 am

Native wrote:Found ’The Severed Alliance’ almost too detailed. The research, particularly the family history, must have been painstaking. There is so much myth with Mozzer (and Johnny Marr), that his own autobiography should be interesting, although I sense it will cloud more than it will clear up.
That's exactly why I liked Rogan's book so much. Whereas most pop bios are hasty cut-and-paste jobs written by hacks, Rogan had rolled his sleeves up and written a book that could be reviewed as a proper biography instead of just a book report on a pop group.

About Morrissey's autobiography: I'm not sure if it will ever see the light of day. It takes a lot of effort to write one, much longer than a song lyric, so I'm not sure Moz has the stamina to write one. And if he does, I'm worried that he will let his persecution complex run amok on that one, making it a dreadfully bitter read.
Click click drone

Native

#23 Post by Native » Thu 30 Jun 2005, 8:11 am

He claims he's already writtten the majority of it and I'm sure I read somewhere that he's already received a pretty hefty advance from, I think, Penguin. Will have to double-check that.

Eldritch

#24 Post by Eldritch » Thu 30 Jun 2005, 8:56 am

Native wrote:He claims he's already writtten the majority of it and I'm sure I read somewhere that he's already received a pretty hefty advance from, I think, Penguin. Will have to double-check that.
I have read that too. In the Word interview I think. However, if Morrissey treats his publisher the same way as his various ex-record labels, I would be a pretty nervous editor if I was the one at Penguin who had commissioned the deal.
Click click drone

Joemoz

#25 Post by Joemoz » Thu 30 Jun 2005, 9:01 am

The best Morrissey biography I have read is 'Saint Morrissey' by Mark Simpson. If you're looking for information, Rogan's book is the best one, though. Stay away from anything by David Bret. Both his book suck big time - obviously written by somebody who knew little about Morrissey on beforehand. Very little new information, and most of it is speculation anyway.

Also, Simon Goddard's 'Songs that saved your life' is great for those who want an in-depth look at the Smiths' production.
Last edited by Joemoz on Thu 30 Jun 2005, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was a cough that carried him off. It was a coffin they carried him off in.

Eldritch

#26 Post by Eldritch » Thu 30 Jun 2005, 9:37 am

Joemoz wrote:The best Morrissey biography I have read is 'Saint Morrissey' by Mark Simpson.
I wouldn't really call it a biography, since it's more of a 200-page essay on Morrissey's lyrics. But it is very enlightening and insightful, even if Simpson does take his methods and theories too far in some places.
Click click drone