live

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
cutie_kyle

live

#1 Post by cutie_kyle »

As i've never actually seen the guys in concert because i've not been a fan long enough, i've always wondered how people react when they change the arrangement on their songs. I think they're one of the best bands at doing it. And do you think it's good that they do? I think sometimes they actually make the song better, ie Love Comes Quickly and Can You Forgive Her.

Zeus On The Loose

#2 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

PSB generally don't change their arrangements significantly. Most versions are usually pretty close to the originals, with very few exceptions.
Does cameos only.

joncool5

#3 Post by joncool5 »

They changed them a lot for the Nightlife Tour and some songs lost the emotion a bit and became over-complicated. For the Release Tour they changed Love Comes Quickly into a rock anthem and it worked.
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Native

#4 Post by Native »

Can You Forgive Her? and Discoteca worked on the Nightlife tour, IMO. Love Comes Quickly was superb on the Release tour. Can't make my mind up with regard Being Boring from the Nightlife tour...

srpsb

#5 Post by srpsb »

I think that since the noghtlife tour, the boys make often changes the arrangement on their songs

nightlife tour :
major changements :
west end girls
being boring
discoteca
can you forgive her
it's a sin
it's alright
was it worth it

minor changements:
shameless
footsteps
only the wind
what have i done

release tour/uni tour :
major changements :
a red letter day
new york city boy
go west (intro)
love comes quickly
was it worth it
always on my mind (end)

minor changements:
west end girls
where the streets have no name

sorry for my bad english

psb-freak

#6 Post by psb-freak »

Wasn´t it some remix of Discoteca they performed on Nightlife tour ?
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Flaffer

#7 Post by Flaffer »

I think it was the version that subsequently appeared on Further Listening, they were attempting to make it more single like
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Flaffer

#8 Post by Flaffer »

I've always thought they've made quite an effort to re-work tracks when they perform them live. Most of the groups I've seen live just play the tracks as they originally appeared, pretty boring imho
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Dreamcatcher2003

#9 Post by Dreamcatcher2003 »

In Istanbul, they slowed Go West almost to a stand-still only to pick up feverishly from the part where Neil sings "there where the air is free"; more surprisingly they finished the song with a piercing guitar solo; ie that part the song fades away. And I agree with Flaffer; they make quite an effort. I have a record of a concert in Russia (do you call these bootlegs) and every song completely deviates from the original, either as a whole or at the introduction or in the middle or in the end.
The CELL by Stephen King instantly hit number 1 in New York Times Bookseller Lists selling well over 200 thousand copies in three weeks. This affirms my opinion: People really need an occassional good horror read...

joncool5

#10 Post by joncool5 »

I felt that Being Boring was ruined during the Nightlife Tour although Can You Forgive Her definitely worked.
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

jamie1978

#11 Post by jamie1978 »

Its funny how people rant on about the reworking of Being Boring on the Nightlife tour.

I thought it was amazing, and heart-stoppingly unexpected when the bass suddenly dropped and the full-on synths kicked in. A highlight of the show. Totally exhilerating. I can feel the adrenelin rush even now!

Zeus On The Loose

#12 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

srpsb wrote:I think that since the noghtlife tour, the boys make often changes the arrangement on their songs

nightlife tour :
major changements :
west end girls
being boring
discoteca
can you forgive her
it's a sin
it's alright
was it worth it

minor changements:
shameless
footsteps
only the wind
what have i done

release tour/uni tour :
major changements :
a red letter day
new york city boy
go west (intro)
love comes quickly
was it worth it
always on my mind (end)

minor changements:
west end girls
where the streets have no name

sorry for my bad english
Most of the songs on your list don't qualify for 'different arrangements'. Changing a few patches here and there because of live programming necessities doesn't mean they made a totally different version of the song. With the exception of all the 'acoustic' versions, Being Boring on Nightlife Tour and Red Letter Day and Love Comes Quickly -all of which were fantastic reworkings- on the Release Tour, most of everything else has been pretty close to the original versions or some remix or other.
Does cameos only.

srpsb

#13 Post by srpsb »

ok ... but then, could you tell me from wich official mix come :
was it worth it
can you forgive her
west end girls (nightlife)
new york city boy
and for discoteca (the bilingual reissue come later)

Harry

#14 Post by Harry »

I really like it when they perform new arrangements of songs. It's one of the things that makes the 'Montage' DVD such a joy to watch. It gives each tour a sonic characteristic of its own. The 'Nightlife' tour is smooth, rich, intricate and colourful.

'Somewhere' at the Savoy had it's own particular sound as well. Very bassy and thumpy. Perfect for an underground theatre.

HARRY
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

glennjridge

#15 Post by glennjridge »

Yeah, thats what I love about them playing live these days. for the nightlife and release tours they seemingly redid the tracks with new arrangements.it gave the songs new life. listen to montage.all the old songs are new again,and even songs which I didnt like such as footsteps I actually found myself liking. listening to their live shows in the early days,if you listen they simply muted out the vocals of the studio songs and neil simply sang overthem.

today I find that unacceptable. I love now that they redo the tracks over for the most part.