I hate music:features 2 pet shop boys songs.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
shaunh7

I hate music:features 2 pet shop boys songs.

#1 Post by shaunh7 »

Found this on the net, she just slags everyone off, not just the boys:

THE PET SHOP BOYS - Kings Cross

There is nothing special to mark this track out from any other slow PSB track (ie - Chris Lowe had let the drum machine go down the pub). It marks the end of the Actually album like any other piece of introspective Neil Tennant nonsense. And I certainly do not think that Tennant is stupid - anyone who can survive those years on Smash Hits must be some form of evil mastermind (peddling pop - to the kids). Nope, I just have one teensy problem with Kings Cross.

"Dead and wounded on either side - You know its only a matter of time"

Now Tennant, and Lowe when he's not reading the news, released and recorded this record before the Kings Cross Rail Disaster. Presience of thought, astral conjunction? No, its obvious that somewhere along the line the massive brain of Tennant noticed the fixtures and fittings of the tube station and realised that with a heavy build up of sweet wrappers and a misplaced cigarette - the whole place could go up in smoke. So - you would think - off to the Health And Safety Executive with him toot sweet? A few hours out of your ironic pop star lifestyle to show the flashpoint situation under escalator two. How hard would it be to get the London Transport Safety Officers to accept that whilst you have no formal training in H&S matters, you are well aware of the basic theory behind fire training - and in particular British Standard 04365 on flameproofing of wooden mechanical structures? As long as they weren't wearing those silly stick on eyebrows and the ripped of of Devo dunce hats I reckon a major inspection could have saved lives.

Alternatively you could just write a song about it.

The Pet Shop Boys - how do they sleep at night?

PET SHOP BOYS - "Always On My Mind"

In a perfect world, if a generically ironic dance-pop duo decided to make an irritating, irrelevant cover of an overrated country song, a giant hammer would descend from the heavens and smite them before the first TR-808 pattern could be programmed. Unfortunately, we don't live in that perfect world and no one thought to stop the Pet Shop Boys from giving us this wretched piece of tripe.

Where can I begin to describe the deep hurting inherent in this song? How about the singing? Neil Tennant isn't known for his dulcet tones, and this song highlights everything that is wrong without his voice without playing to any of his strengths. Emotional content is supplanted by a reedy whine that has neighborhood dogs howling for mercy. Clever lyrics are eschewed for banal country cliches. By the time he gets to "Teeeeeell meeeee...", any right-minded individual has either run screaming from the room or ruptured her own eardrums.

And can we discuss how horrible the music is? Apparently K-Mart was having a sale on tacky synth modules the week before the Boys went into the studio and Chris Lowe just couldn't contain himself. How many overblown, blaring fake horns does one song need? In the words of my little sister, "Mommy, make the bad men stop!"

All of this might be salvageable if something interesting was going on in the rhythm section. Unfortunately, octave leaps on the root of the chord framed by the 4/4 beat that comes out when you press "Disco" on your mother's old Casio doesn't quite qualify as "interesting". "Unforgivable" would be a better word.

If you must listen to a PSB cover, get "Where The Streets Have No Name/Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You". This is also a terrible song, but at least it does something that improves on the source material. (Of course, twelve minutes of farting would be an improvement on U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name", but that's a rant for a later day.)

weblink:
http://www.freakytrigger.co.uk/hate/index.html

Very

#2 Post by Very »

Just ignore it.
Madrid / Bucharest 2007

StevePSB
Site Admin

#3 Post by StevePSB »

Not going to say they're wrong, everyone has an opinion, it's just mine (and most others here) are totally different.

The two songs mentioned are amongst PSB's finest and I can't fault them.

StevePSB

shaunh7

#4 Post by shaunh7 »

StevePSB wrote:Not going to say they're wrong, everyone has an opinion, it's just mine (and most others here) are totally different.

The two songs mentioned are amongst PSB's finest and I can't fault them.

StevePSB
I agree but I think the opinions are a bit tongue in cheek, check out what she says about Dido! :wink:

Effen Vida

#5 Post by Effen Vida »

Er... I think you may be missing the point of the articles. They're supposed to be humorous, particularly the first which raised at least a chuckle out of me.

And I love both songs too...

joncool5

#6 Post by joncool5 »

She must be a freak if she dislikes King's Cross, its an amazing track!
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Ray

#7 Post by Ray »

So PSB are guilty of King's Cross accident. Next up: Pet Shop Boys declared guilty of World War II (think of Don Juan!)
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/raygrantmusic">(I wonder why) My career's in danger?!</a>

Eldritch

#8 Post by Eldritch »

Effen Vida wrote:Er... I think you may be missing the point of the articles. They're supposed to be humorous, particularly the first which raised at least a chuckle out of me.
True. If you scan through the archives you'll notice that the point of the whole web site is to be nasty about everything – although when you scan at the lists of bands included and the amount of music slagged off, you'll realize that she's a music fan and that is just her way of trying to be funny and pay some kind of opposite of the term "backhanded compliment" to all the bands and music included. She must even like PSB to some extent, because why should she otherwise waste so much energy on demolishing an album tracks from 18 years ago (or whenever that piece was written).
Click click drone

psb-freak

#9 Post by psb-freak »

http://www.freakytrigger.co.uk/hate/index.html
:shock: it should be insanetrigger.com
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

rabagast

#10 Post by rabagast »

amandote wrote:Just ignore it.
Why? This person is an excellent writer, and theese pieces vere actually very funny :D

rabagast

#11 Post by rabagast »

"Mommy, make the bad men stop!" :D

Lush

#12 Post by Lush »

rabagast wrote:"Mommy, make the bad men stop!" :D
That cracked me up too. Hilarious stuff.
"Unprofessional? Us? Sir. Might I with due respect remind you that Mister Vandemar and myself burned down the City of Troy? We brought the Black Plague to Flanders. We have assassinated a dozen kings, five popes, half a hundred heroes and two accredited gods. Our last commission before this was the torturing to death of an entire monastery in sixteenth century Tuscany. We are utterly professional." - Mr Croup

jamie1978

#13 Post by jamie1978 »

Its quite amusing... people need to take life a little less seriously and see the funny side

Dreamcatcher2003

#14 Post by Dreamcatcher2003 »

I had read this two or three years ago and the part "making dogs howling for mercy" makes me howl with laughter. Imagine Neil goes on singing without paying any attention, and those dogs drop dead one by one.
The CELL by Stephen King instantly hit number 1 in New York Times Bookseller Lists selling well over 200 thousand copies in three weeks. This affirms my opinion: People really need an occassional good horror read...

raggatwin

#15 Post by raggatwin »

thought those comments were quite funny...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.