Hi from Seattle

New members introduce yourself or just say hi here. The answers to Frequently Asked Questions live here too.
Mark R.Y.

Hi from Seattle

#1 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Hello, PSB community! I've been a lurker here for well over three years, and decided that I might as well join in.

I was already getting ready for college when I first heard Pet Shop Boys in 1986. At that time I would make my own weekly "Top 50" chart similar to the Billboard Top 40, but chronicling my favorite singles. PSB did very well - every single of theirs went top 10 for me, including two going to #1 - until I ceased the top 50 in early 1988. I was growing disenchanted with the pop scene, and I didn't get truly reengaged with it until about 8 years ago.

I find it now odd that I didn't buy any PSB albums in the 1980s considering how much I liked all of their singles. Maybe I would have had I not turned to musicals and classical music during the 1990s. The only PSB track I was aware of in the 90s was "Go West." A friend of mine was visiting Seattle during Christmas '93 and he had the single. I liked it so much that I made a copy of it. Otherwise, PSB remained an "80s band" in my mind until I accompanied that same friend to a used CD shop in 2007 where he bought some of Neil and Chris' more recent albums, including "Fundamental." I'm sure I said, "Oh, so they're still around?" Hard to believe this was only 5 years ago.

The following autumn, PSB finally ensnared me for good. It was a lazy Saturday afternoon in November and I had been looking at those old Top 50 charts of mine and watching YouTube videos of certain titles I hadn't heard since that time. This included a couple PSB tracks. Soon I was finding myself watching PSB vids one after the other. Not just 80s tracks, but more recent stuff as well. I actually said to myself when watching "I'm With Stupid" that "that doesn't quite look like them," before realizing it of course wasn't. I got a crash course in what PSB were all about that afternoon. The clincher was hearing "It Couldn't Happen Here," an album track. I was now interested in getting more than just a greatest hits anthology. During the next few weeks, I quickly grabbed up all of the PSB CDs I could find. My Pet Shop Boys addiction was now underway, and has shown no signs of abating nearly four years later.

A definite highlight: Going to a "Pandemonium" show in Sept 2009 with that same friend who had let me hear "Go West" 16 years beforehand.

Best gold strike: November 2009 - my favorite shop for finding used PSB albums and singles, Silver Platters, had just gotten in used (but near-mint condition) copies of four of the Further Listening editions, Very/Relentless, Nightlife/Extra and PopArtMix. It cost me a packet, but no regrets. I haven't seen used copies of any of those (save NL Extra) since.

Favorite PSB album: I don't like to make these kinds of lists. I find all eleven studio albums to have excellent material with the possible exception of "Yes" which seems to me to be less than stellar. I like all of their other albums as well except for "Disco 4," which is a mixed bag obviously. I hope I don't scandalize anyone by saying that "Disco 2" is my ideal sort of remix album.

Other favorite artists: Elton John, Paul McCartney (and the Beatles), David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Electric Light Orchestra, Stevie Wonder, OMD, Rufus Wainwright, Depeche Mode, Basement Jaxx, Coldplay, Sondre Lerche, Heaven 17, Saint Etienne, Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Joe Jackson, Donna Summer, Bee Gees, ABBA, The Cars, The Who, a-ha, Electronic, Madness, Scissor Sisters (first two albums), Soft Cell, Squeeze, Talk Talk, Trolle Siebenhaar.

leahysb

Re: Hi from Seattle

#2 Post by leahysb »

Hi Mark - welcome to the community. Great post there - hope you will post more. Cheers, Stephen
... Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat ...

Mark R.Y.

Re: Hi from Seattle

#3 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Thank you, Stephen. :D