Is it true? (about What have I done to deserve this?? and Tina Turner)

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Nickname

Is it true? (about What have I done to deserve this?? and Tina Turner)

#1 Post by Nickname »

Taken from: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 041113.ece

Some may well suggest Neil Tennant doesn’t have a great voice, so bringing in Dusty Springfield for What Have I Done to Deserve This? made perfect sense — and, as with the Eurythmics track, Pet Shop Boys swapped soul for sales, resurrecting Springfield’s career. The duo had spent a year resisting their record company’s urging to use Tina Turner (then at her commercial peak), holding out until the much lower-profile Springfield finally agreed. So the track was a triumph of integrity over cynical marketing logic.

:shock:

geowayne

Re: Is it true? (about What have I done to deserve this?? and Tina Turner)

#2 Post by geowayne »

nickname wrote:Taken from: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 041113.ece

Some may well suggest Neil Tennant doesn’t have a great voice, so bringing in Dusty Springfield for What Have I Done to Deserve This? made perfect sense — and, as with the Eurythmics track, Pet Shop Boys swapped soul for sales, resurrecting Springfield’s career. The duo had spent a year resisting their record company’s urging to use Tina Turner (then at her commercial peak), holding out until the much lower-profile Springfield finally agreed. So the track was a triumph of integrity over cynical marketing logic.

:shock:
Yes, it's true. Here's a quote by Neil from their 1989 book Annually: "We always wanted Dusty Springfield to sing it but for ages we couldn't get her to agree -- if she'd agreed quicker it would have been on Please. EMI were trying to get us to use Tina Turner but we thought Dusty Springfield was more interesting. Eventually we got a phone call saying she'd do it."

Firthy2002

#4 Post by Firthy2002 »

Wouldn't have sounded as good with Tina, as good as she is, her voice wouldn't gel as well with Neil's as Dusty's did, in my opinion.
-=Firthy2002=-
------------------
Twitter

York Minster

#5 Post by York Minster »

I don't like Dusty that much, but she works on What have I done to deserve this?
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Sandy Shaw

#6 Post by Sandy Shaw »

They should have kept this Confidential!
What's for supper?

Nickname

#7 Post by Nickname »

I think Tina was asked to sing with Neil "The Way It Used To Be". In fact, I think her voice fits perfectly in this song.

grantwww

#8 Post by grantwww »

I seem to recall that What have I done to deserve this? was to be on the first album but because they couldn't find/get Dusty, they held it over.

I am so glad they waited. It's because of Neil and Chris' persistence that I discovered Dusty. She was amazing and her legacy lives on.

Bulldog

#9 Post by Bulldog »

That also could explain why "Confidential" sounded so half-hearted on both PSB and Tina's side...

VinnyM227

#10 Post by VinnyM227 »

bobo wrote:That also could explain why "Confidential" sounded so half-hearted on both PSB and Tina's side...
In the "Very Remastered" book notes, Neil talks about how Tina expected to get a "It's A Sin" type rocker. Neil thinks about this and says it could have been interesting....uh, hell yeah! But even though I don't have that album, "Wildest Dreams", all the songs on it seem like kind of quiet storm tracks. I could be wrong, but it probably fit the tone of the album.