Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
daveid

Re: Cancelled Singles

#16 Post by daveid »

Generic jingle (single edit)

Pacific707

#17 Post by Pacific707 »

e-mail has a radio edit im sure it was considered. btw its a great version

TallThinMan

#18 Post by TallThinMan »

Rorie wrote:London [UK release cancelled as EMI didn't want to be seen to be promoting violence in London - We were in London, Let's do it, Let's break the law]
This from the record company that signed the Sex Pistols! :wall:
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Drico One

#19 Post by Drico One »

very2000 wrote:Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
Apparently, Chris vetoed a collaboration with Take That on this. Yes, the malevolent influence of Barlow has been felt for almost 20 years.

I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

boyjohn

#20 Post by boyjohn »

Drico One wrote:
very2000 wrote:Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
Apparently, Chris vetoed a collaboration with Take That on this. Yes, the malevolent influence of Barlow has been felt for almost 20 years.

I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.

Drico.
Liberation is one of their most beautiful songs, and they should be proud to have released it as a single.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

davenjulieuk

#21 Post by davenjulieuk »

Shame that "Winner" is not on this list !
Miracles happen when you're around...

TallThinMan

#22 Post by TallThinMan »

Drico One wrote:I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.
Would One In A Million have fared any better though? I like the song, but even in 1993 it was a bit Hi-NRG circa 1987. The chorus chord progression is even the same as the "Tell me..." bridge in Always On My Mind, albeit in a different key.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Padster

#23 Post by Padster »

Drico One wrote:

Drico.
Stop it you two.... Too many nostalgic remembrances !! Teletext, Andy's Records, and PSB on Radio 1, I'm feeling old now!! I still look back fondly at the days of single / album releases and going round HMV, Virgin, Our Price and last resort Andy's records or sometimes Music Zone. nowadays it's iPad in one hand, credit card in the other!!

Weren't 'Why don't we live together?' and 'One more Chance' going to be a singles at some point as well.

Kris

#24 Post by Kris »

One And One Make Five was PSB's initial choice as the lead single from Very! Shudder. Thankfully no-one at record company agreed.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Drico One

#25 Post by Drico One »

TallThinMan wrote:
Drico One wrote:I remember feeling perplexed by the release of Liberation when I heard it confirmed as the new single on some Brits preview show on Radio 1. Of all the tracks on Very that they could have issued, they went for the drippiest option.
Would One In A Million have fared any better though? I like the song, but even in 1993 it was a bit Hi-NRG circa 1987. The chorus chord progression is even the same as the "Tell me..." bridge in Always On My Mind, albeit in a different key.
With Take That on board flashing their nipples, it would have been number one.

Liberation did quite well, really, considering its lack of thrills and spills. Two weeks at 14 was better than I thought it would manage. Dreaming of the Queen, The Theatre, and A Different Point Of View would have been better choices from my perspective - not that they were likely to do too much on the chart themselves, truth be told. I'd have preferred them because they were cooler or more exciting, or both. Liberation is nice, but it's a bit insipid.

Drico.

Radiophonic

#26 Post by Radiophonic »

Basically every song from Very could have been a single. I'm sure they were all considered at one time or another but I was pleased with their final choices.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Undertaker

#27 Post by Undertaker »

Maybe the video was responsible for the single, rather than the other way around. Most of the animation could have already been done and they needed a song that went best with it. I'd have also picked Dreaming of the Queen or The Theatre

Patrick Bateman

#28 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Whilst an argument can be made for several other candidates, I was always pretty happy with their single choices from Very. Single-Bilingual was the first single I wasn't overly enamoured with. It was a harbinger of things to come.

TallThinMan

#29 Post by TallThinMan »

Drico One wrote:Liberation did quite well, really, considering its lack of thrills and spills. Two weeks at 14 was better than I thought it would manage. Dreaming of the Queen, The Theatre, and A Different Point Of View would have been better choices from my perspective - not that they were likely to do too much on the chart themselves, truth be told. I'd have preferred them because they were cooler or more exciting, or both. Liberation is nice, but it's a bit insipid.
Do you like A Different Point Of View? What do you think of the lyrics?

Drico One

#30 Post by Drico One »

It's infantile, but I always loved the energy. It's a frenetic storm - so you've no time to dwell on the flaws.

Drico.