Brighton Festival

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
pineneedle

#46 Post by pineneedle » Thu 22 May 2008, 6:57 am

Where's that lovely one of both of you Trixie? :)

bobblekat

#47 Post by bobblekat » Fri 23 May 2008, 6:36 pm

A podcast from the talk has been put up on the Brighton Festival site.

http://www.brightonfestival.org/festival_podcasts.aspx

(I haven't checked it out yet though)
I went fishing with Salvador Dali; he used a dotted line.

Danger

#48 Post by Danger » Sat 24 May 2008, 3:26 pm

bobblekat wrote:Talked about the album, said they are aiming for March 2009 ('provided EMI still exists', as Neil out it), they are still working on the ballet, and they're also thinking about a tour next year. :)
Three good news in one night only: wow another tour next year after the new album :clap: :dance:

Drem

#49 Post by Drem » Sat 24 May 2008, 5:12 pm

bobblekat wrote:A podcast from the talk has been put up on the Brighton Festival site.

Is it possible to hear/download it right now, or it wasn't put yet? I can't understand...
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

le petit corbusier

#50 Post by le petit corbusier » Sat 24 May 2008, 5:14 pm

Drem wrote:
bobblekat wrote:A podcast from the talk has been put up on the Brighton Festival site.

Is it possible to hear/download it right now, or it wasn't put yet? I can't understand...
Just click on the speaker icon next to it, then wait and see what happens. ; )
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Drem

#51 Post by Drem » Sat 24 May 2008, 5:19 pm

le petit corbusier wrote:Just click on the speaker icon next to it, then wait and see what happens. ; )
Yes, thanks. I finally figured it out, was confused with my slow CDMA connection - when I clicked it seemed that nothing happens...
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

le petit corbusier

#52 Post by le petit corbusier » Sat 24 May 2008, 5:22 pm

Drem wrote:
le petit corbusier wrote:Just click on the speaker icon next to it, then wait and see what happens. ; )
Yes, thanks. I finally figured it out, was confused with my slow CDMA connection - when I clicked it seemed that nothing happens...
Same here, it took a while to load.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

JJ Naas

#53 Post by JJ Naas » Sat 24 May 2008, 9:59 pm

A very nice interview. More time and a proper Q & A would've been awesome.

Has he ever mentioned before it was the Nottingham Uni where he was gonna go study history and archaeology? Could he be on Time Team now, perhaps, if he hadn't gone to London and met Chris? ;) I have a bit of a hard time imagining him getting all muddy digging on a trench for Roman pottery.

greenmile

#54 Post by greenmile » Sun 25 May 2008, 7:24 pm

Direct link to the podcast mp3 file behind the flash player thingy on the festival website:

http://www.synchronicity-tv.co.uk/uploa ... ennant.mp3

The volume on this file seems to be very low so turn up your speakers!

Monty--

#55 Post by Monty-- » Sun 25 May 2008, 8:23 pm

What the smeg is going on? The Mp3 file stops in full flow after a while. Bah!

psb-freak

#56 Post by psb-freak » Mon 26 May 2008, 7:31 am

greenmile wrote:Direct link to the podcast mp3 file behind the flash player thingy on the festival website:

http://www.synchronicity-tv.co.uk/uploa ... ennant.mp3

The volume on this file seems to be very low so turn up your speakers!
I don´t even manage to download it.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

billiejo

#57 Post by billiejo » Wed 28 May 2008, 4:40 pm

Greenmile - many thanks for the direct link - I have now got it for keeps :D

bohemians.

#58 Post by bohemians. » Sat 08 Nov 2008, 1:32 pm

Last edited by bohemians. on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bohemians.

#59 Post by bohemians. » Sat 08 Nov 2008, 1:48 pm

Last edited by bohemians. on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

screenedout

Re: Brighton Festival

#60 Post by screenedout » Thu 01 Apr 2010, 11:30 pm

Hello, I am a long-time PSB fan who needs this forum's help... I was in the audience at this Brighton Festival interview back in 2008, where Neil made many very interesting comments, including one to the effect of "people think the 1980s was all about money but it was nothing compared to now". I am currently writing a book (about sort of cultural 'stuff') and would really like to quote this answer - which was actually quite profound - but the podcast seems to have gone so I can't refer to it. Does anyone have an mp3 of the interview that they would be prepared to send to me or make available somehow?

Just to make myself feel less cheap for landing on this board and resurrecting an old thread with a boring request, here is a little PSB-related thought. I had my hand up to ask a question at the talk, but didn't get to ask it. It would have been: 'Neil, you've talked about how the Pet Shop Boys built their career to some extent on saying 'no' to things [i.e. touring, doing silly TV stunts etc.]. Do you think this sort of rebellion, of saying 'no' to things, is still possible in pop music today?' I wonder what the answer would have been. (I am aware of the irony of this considering the recent album title 'Yes'; but I remember listening to the PSB commentary to the album where Neil mentioned 'that journalist' who wrote the book 'Yes Man', about saying 'yes' to everything, and how if the Pet Shop Boys were to do that they would say 'no' to everything. Which I think would have been a far more interesting premise for a book.)