The Super Tour

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
bongsteve

Re: The Super Tour

#46 Post by bongsteve »

themgnt wrote: Dictator is a song I'm not too familiar with because I often skip it but it wasn't too bad during the show, Inside a Dream is another I skip, then Home and Dry (which I like but by this stage I felt the show was dragging). Any of these mixed in would have been fine, but as a seven song group... not for me.
Skip Dictator and Inside a Dream...blasphemy, probably in my top 5, maybe even 3, songs they've released in the last 2 albums :D

Palpatine

#47 Post by Palpatine »

Sorry to hear about themgnt's experience. That's one of the reasons I don't go to concerts or movies anymore.

West End Boy

#48 Post by West End Boy »

themgnt wrote:I felt there was kind of a dead section in the setlist. Se a Vida e through to Enigma was kind of, dare I say, boring. I know some people will argue back, and that's fine. SAVE is an alright song, but just alright. LCC is ok. Love Etc I never really cared for, Dictator is a song I'm not too familiar with because I often skip it but it wasn't too bad during the show, Inside a Dream is another I skip, then Home and Dry (which I like but by this stage I felt the show was dragging). Any of these mixed in would have been fine, but as a seven song group... not for me.
This is exactly what I thought when I saw the show at the ROH. Although I'd say the boring part didn't really start until "The dictator decides". From there up until "Enigma", it really felt like a giant snooze-fest. "Dictator" is a witty and fun song on the CD, but it just doesn't work live. "Inside a Dream" also loses some of its magic when being performed live, and "Winner" has always been and will always be cringeworthy. And while the version they do of "Home and Dry" is actually pretty decent, I just couldn't enjoy it because after the three previous songs, I was yearning for some "strobes and banging".

Don't get me wrong - the first 1/3 of the setlist and the last 1/3 of the setlist are utterly brilliant, with the transition from "In the night" to "Burn" and the one from "Sodom" to "Vocal" probably being some of the most majestic concert experiences I've ever witnessed. It's just the middle part that simply doesn't work.
From summer warmth to sudden cold

themgnt

#49 Post by themgnt »

I love Burn but I'm afraid I found it hard to enjoy because I couldn't hear the performance because of the people behind me.

I'm really hoping a pro shot video of the concert will show up on youtube or somewhere because I would love to be able to relive the show without distraction.

Shopper

#50 Post by Shopper »

What is the merchandise available in the Usa venues? My friends are going and wanted to know if I wanted something!

Definitely want the programme
Left to my own devices, I probably would...

https://www.instagram.com/chit2clix/

blureu

#51 Post by blureu »

Shopper wrote:What is the merchandise available in the Usa venues? My friends are going and wanted to know if I wanted something!

There are pics of the merchandise on this thread. It doesn't mention if they are selling any vinyl or CDs. Anyone know?

http://www.petshopboys-forum.com/viewto ... &start=105

Drem

#52 Post by Drem »

Stumbled upon very strange photo from NYC concert last night.
If you look closely to the Neil's head, you'll notice strange disproportions, "the flattop hairdo" and menacing grimace on his face. Suddenly he reminded me late Bob Casale from Devo:
Attachments
bob-casale.jpg
bob-casale.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Shopper

#53 Post by Shopper »

blureu wrote:
Shopper wrote:What is the merchandise available in the Usa venues? My friends are going and wanted to know if I wanted something!

There are pics of the merchandise on this thread. It doesn't mention if they are selling any vinyl or CDs. Anyone know?

http://www.petshopboys-forum.com/viewto ... &start=105
thanks so much! my bro and some friends might be attending Atlanta tonight...

i hope they can pick up a programme for me...and a tee, if they feeling generous :shifty:
Left to my own devices, I probably would...

https://www.instagram.com/chit2clix/

jasonk848

#54 Post by jasonk848 »

I'll at the show Tuesday night in St. Pete. Excited for Inside a Dream, but i'm sure most of the crowd won't be into it (including a few friends). Oh well. I still have no idea why they would ever put Winner in a setlist.

Much looking forward to enjoying the show, and not having my girlfriend break up with me like during the Electric tour (through text).
did you see me coming?

MikeyC

#55 Post by MikeyC »

jasonk848 wrote:I'll at the show Tuesday night in St. Pete. Excited for Inside a Dream, but i'm sure most of the crowd won't be into it (including a few friends). Oh well. I still have no idea why they would ever put Winner in a setlist.

Much looking forward to enjoying the show, and not having my girlfriend break up with me like during the Electric tour (through text).
"Winner" has been OUT of the set-list for the past 3 or 4 shows, including NYC the other night. An interesting development!

blureu

#56 Post by blureu »

MikeyC wrote:
jasonk848 wrote:I'll at the show Tuesday night in St. Pete. Excited for Inside a Dream, but i'm sure most of the crowd won't be into it (including a few friends). Oh well. I still have no idea why they would ever put Winner in a setlist.

"Winner" has been OUT of the set-list for the past 3 or 4 shows, including NYC the other night. An interesting development!
They didn't play Winner tonight in Atlanta either. We also didn't get 20 Something. I can't recall at the moment if another song was substituted. Fabulous sold out show. The venue (atlanta symphony hall) is perfect for them.

MikeyC

#57 Post by MikeyC »

blureu wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

They didn't play Winner tonight in Atlanta either. We also didn't get 20 Something. I can't recall at the moment if another song was substituted. Fabulous sold out show. The venue (atlanta symphony hall) is perfect for them.
Oooh, that's curious... wonder why??

Drem

#58 Post by Drem »

Probably because these songs couldn't achieve a positive reaction from the generic crowd of concertgoers, most of whose comes for "It's a sin" and "West End girls"...
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

West End Boy

#59 Post by West End Boy »

Drem wrote:Probably because these songs couldn't achieve a positive reaction from the generic crowd of concertgoers, most of whose comes for "It's a sin" and "West End girls"...
While it's true that most of the crowd is there to hear their imperial hits, it's also true that "Twenty-Something" and "Winner" were, at least for me, among the lowlights of the ROH show. Even I felt genuinely bored when they played "Twenty-something" in London. Don't get me wrong, I love the song as an album track, but it didn't really seem to work live for some reason.
From summer warmth to sudden cold

Niall

#60 Post by Niall »

MikeyC wrote:
blureu wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Oooh, that's curious... wonder why??
I've seen video from a New York show of the music for Twenty-something screwing up as Neil begins the line 'got a start-up'. He then shouts, 'stop, stop, stop, stop, stop....'
Presumably they restart it but perhaps there's some connection to why they haven't played it?
Evertonians are born not manufactured.
We do not choose; we are chosen.
Those who understand need no explanation.
Those that don't understand don't matter.