Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

The Management - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
Drico One

Re: The Management - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

#31 Post by Drico One » Tue 09 Dec 2008, 10:20 pm

I completely disagree with that, to be frank. There was plenty of brilliance - but plenty of self-iconoclasm, too. But that's a discussion for a whole new thread - and day.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Pani

#32 Post by Pani » Tue 09 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

Nightlife wrote:PSB Synthpop Mix now available.
Love it ... :dance:

patrick

#33 Post by patrick » Tue 09 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

Drico One wrote:I completely disagree with that, to be frank. There was plenty of brilliance
Sure. But produced during a very inconsistent period that also included their weakest work, in my opinion.

Drico One

#34 Post by Drico One » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 12:10 am

Inconsistent? Yes. Crap? No.

Personally, I find a lot of their earlier stuff highly inconsistent. But that material had the benefit of not re-treading old ground due to a chronological accident of birth.

After a period of time, everything they released had a precursor of some sort. By Very, much of what they did could be compared with something similar from the past. At the very least, the scope to come up with something new had narrowed somewhat.

However, what the post-Very period did not have in common with the pre-Very era was a coherence of image or a defined manifesto. By the time of Absolutely Fabulous and Disco 2, the PSBs were reacting to their own image and rebelling against the constraints of sameness. Very marked this sea change.

The costumes, imagery, and sudden madness of that era, with I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing heralding a shamelessly feckless mid-life crisis, seemed new. It was. But it was new only because they were contradicting their own much-loved iconography. The very fact that they continued making music beyond 40 was in itself a betrayal of their own strictures.

Hence, we had a charity record ("because we wanted to meet Joanna Lumley"), a deliriously happy Christmas single in 1993 - rather than the usual po-faced diffidence, technicolour clobber rather than the monochrome that preceded it, and a willingness to perform live...and associate with the likes of Chris Evans and Gazza.

That was all well and good for about two singles, and those records sold Very. But Disco 2 and Yesterday When I Was Mad showed that the make-over was more than a temporary image. It was a break with the past.

Peter Andreas died soon after, and I wonder what effect this had on their plans for the mid-1990s. Chris wouldn't promote Bilingual in 1996, the rumour being that he was grieving at the time, and that whole era seemed somewhat half-hearted (certainly in terms of promotion). However, that album did produce four career peaks. It also produced Metamorphosis and Saturday Night Forever, suggesting that inconsistency was certainly a factor.

That said, Hit Music appeared like a carabuncle on Actually and few would recommend the final third of Introspective. The thing is, those aberrations couldn't be compared with anything else as the back catalogue ran to no more than 30-odd songs.

Of course, that's just a personal opinion. I'm not going to argue that any particular stage of their career was better than another in terms of the quality of the records made. That's a matter of personal preference and can't be measured definitively. But I will say that the output from 1996 to 2006 was not crap. Inconsistent? Yes. Perhaps it was more so than the pre-Very period, and you could certainly make the case that it was a time when the complete package was less defined, less charismatic, and less compelling in terms of what surrounded it. Burning your own image, which is effectively what they have done over the years, is not a recipe for inspiring devoted fanaticism. But the music of that period is not to be dismissed.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Patrick Bateman

#35 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 12:33 am

Pete's death is of course highly significant. It was always going to be hard to follow up Very as it was simply because they'd pretty much done everything in the preceding years and where do you go without repeating yourself? Hello Erasure! I like Bilingual but it was certainly patchy and by the time of Nightlife, the pop landscape had shifted irrevocably and the Gibbonesque Decline and Fall of the Synthpop Duo was perfectly soundtracked by the phantasmagorical bewigged spectres haunting the wasteland now populated by Simon Fuller's detritus and J-Lo's ass.
Official account of record-breaking, multiple award-winning director Patrick Bateman.

glennjridge

#36 Post by glennjridge » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 12:58 am

they are making far better music now then back then IMO.

the early stuff, because we heard it when we were in our youth and it came with sucess for the band it gets built up to legendary status in our minds.

but I think from nightlife on, they have been putting out the best music of their careers.fundamental is the new very to me.

patrick

#37 Post by patrick » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 1:08 am

Drico One wrote:Of course, that's just a personal opinion. I'm not going to argue that any particular stage of their career was better than another in terms of the quality of the records made. That's a matter of personal preference and can't be measured definitively. But I will say that the output from 1996 to 2006 was not crap.
Nice post.

I didn't mean to imply the entire period was crap. You make a good point with Hit music but it's also a rarity until 1996 in the sense that poor material was suddenly much more common with regard to their output. I think Miracles marked a turning point - almost as if they got a second wind. The songwriting has been much stronger for the most part and even if we have to suffer In Private there just hasn't been the flood of filler that surrounded their best work in the latter half of the Nineties. FFS look at the first two singles on Nightlife!

But yeah. I definitely didn't mean to imply it was all subpar.

patrick

#38 Post by patrick » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 1:10 am

glennjridge wrote:but I think from nightlife on, they have been putting out the best music of their careers.fundamental is the new very to me.
Fundamental is one of their best albums. But it's also a lyrical return to form for a Neil Tennant who had only made cameo appearances since the early Nineties.

whateverman42

#39 Post by whateverman42 » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 4:03 am

I think Release is one of Neil's strongest albums, lyrically. Bilingual is a personal favourite, and I love Saturday Night Forever. Basically I like every part of their career except for Nightlife. Whereas Bilingual and Release was them doing what the hell they wanted and succeeding artistically, Nightlife was clearly an attempt to be big again. Sappy lyrics (but flashes of brilliance here and there), the 'look at us, we're dressed up like Very, but different, and 'modern' synths that have dated badly, plus an obvious Go West clone, they actually seemed out of steam at that point. Release was so necessary, flushing the toxins out of their system and going back to real music, subtracting all the distracting hype and image. I'm not 100% sure they'd be my favourite band if they didn't make Bilingual or Release.

Debussy

#40 Post by Debussy » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 8:54 am

Actually, whateverman , you've just helped me understand why i dont play Nightlife much. Thanks. Something never quite sat right with me for that album,but it makes sense now...it was out of steam.

Corina

#41 Post by Corina » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 9:35 am

Pani wrote:
Nightlife wrote:PSB Synthpop Mix now available.
Love it ... :dance:
Me too. N & C are spoiling us, boys and girls :)
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

Hillbilly

#42 Post by Hillbilly » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 3:46 pm

Debussy wrote:Actually, whateverman , you've just helped me understand why i dont play Nightlife much. Thanks. Something never quite sat right with me for that album,but it makes sense now...it was out of steam.
The same for me. Nightlife is my least favourite PSB album. I prefer Bilingual, and even more so Release!

Dipso

#43 Post by Dipso » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 3:48 pm

Something definitely did change for the Pets in 1994. When I now think back to the immediate post-Very stage in their career they seem quite adrift. Peter Andreas died, Neil turned 40 and came out, they released the distinctly weak and much maligned Ab Fab and Disco 2 - it was a strange period all round.

My impression of the Discovery tour at the end of 1994 has always been that they were basically trying to cheer themselves up after a joint annus horribilis. I also remember reading a Telegraph interview with Neil in the summer of 1994 where he said the Pets had no plans after Disco 2 and I recall feeling mildly alarmed that he seemed to be so out of sorts.

*googles*

Ah, here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pe ... h9-94.html

Personally speaking, the Pets seemed to really get back on track around the time of the Peel Sessions and Disco 3 in 2003. They seem to have had a new lease of life since then.
Prick up your ears.

Undertaker

#44 Post by Undertaker » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 4:29 pm

Dipso wrote: Personally speaking, the Pets seemed to really get back on track around the time of the Peel Sessions and Disco 3 in 2003. They seem to have had a new lease of life since then.
I'm glad somebody mentioned the Peel Sessions. IMO, one of their finest hours. I remember this board nearly breaking the internet on that Friday? night. It was absolutely fantastic hearing 'A Powerful Friend' Totally blew everyone away.

Posh Boy

#45 Post by Posh Boy » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 5:02 pm

Dipso wrote: Ah, here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pe ... h9-94.html

Personally speaking, the Pets seemed to really get back on track around the time of the Peel Sessions and Disco 3 in 2003. They seem to have had a new lease of life since then.
What an excellent article, thanks for posting :up:
"Your boring face I love it"