The Management - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
Syncratic

Re: The Management - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

#76 Post by Syncratic » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 2:53 am

That's really amusing coming from you, fluff. One word, 'syntax'.

fluffmoln

#77 Post by fluffmoln » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 3:36 am

Oh you people. All I was saying was that Kids was first recorded in 2004. That was a fact which I found rather intriguing, but hey, let's bicker instead.

Sandy Shaw

Re: MGMT - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

#78 Post by Sandy Shaw » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 12:15 am

Corina wrote:
Actually, it`s "control yourself" - according to some sites with songs` lyrics. (I also tend to understand "enjoy yourself"...!)
Sorry 'Control Yourself'

Also I now agree with the poster who reckons that this is not a vocal from Neil as the non PSB versions have a similar sounding vocal at this pitch. I would love it if Neil was on the remix in a subtle way but sadly don't think he is. Popjustice were wrong on this point!!!!
What's for supper?

Pani

#79 Post by Pani » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 12:18 am

What I understand is '(en)joy yourself'. It was just on the radio here.

Sandy Shaw

#80 Post by Sandy Shaw » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 12:20 am

It is 'control yourself' but it is intersting that there is enough ambiguity that several of us first heard 'enjoy yourself'. I supose enjoying and controlling can be two sides of the same coin!
What's for supper?

Hmmm

#81 Post by Hmmm » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 6:10 pm

Hmm now not on O/S both tracks removed :?: .
They make a little go along way.. very Minimal but Fundamental.

Debussy

#82 Post by Debussy » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 11:03 pm

I've just managed to get and listen to the two remixes in good quality (thanks to whoever blogged then)
They're both fantastic - PSB are on fire lately -i'm excited about the album.

Sandy Shaw

#83 Post by Sandy Shaw » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 2:03 am

Shame these remixes are not on O/S but see new thread on Jack and Jill Party demo. More Christmas treats!
What's for supper?

Grover

#84 Post by Grover » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 11:57 am

whateverman42 wrote:I think Release is one of Neil's strongest albums, lyrically. Bilingual is a personal favourite, and I love Saturday Night Forever. Basically I like every part of their career except for Nightlife. Whereas Bilingual and Release was them doing what the hell they wanted and succeeding artistically, Nightlife was clearly an attempt to be big again. Sappy lyrics (but flashes of brilliance here and there), the 'look at us, we're dressed up like Very, but different, and 'modern' synths that have dated badly, plus an obvious Go West clone, they actually seemed out of steam at that point. Release was so necessary, flushing the toxins out of their system and going back to real music, subtracting all the distracting hype and image. I'm not 100% sure they'd be my favourite band if they didn't make Bilingual or Release.
I totally agree on the Nightlife remarks. I was just thinking the other day that the album I really dislike the most from the PSB is Nightlife. This -for me- is the only album that doesn't really sound like the PSB (apart from Neil's voice). At that time they explained they went for a 'new' sound and to be honest, for me it didn't work. You see, 'Release' is a new direction, but it still sounded very much PSB. Nightlife doesn't. It's the album I listen to least often. It has got everything to do with the production/sound and it's a pity because there are indeed flashes of brilliance here and there on it. Yes I know... 'Very' had an over-the-top production aswell, but it still sounded very much PSB to me. I indeed got the feeling like whateverman42 says that after Billigual, Nightlife was an attempt to be as big again as in the Very days. I think it's logical/natural that it kinda flopped, because they where just trying too hard... too much overproduction, too much a different sound, too much of the dreaded 'punk' image.... no it all didn't work at all for me.

I think Billigual was a brilliant album. I really, really enjoyed this album from the first listening and I still do. Whereas with 'Nightlife'... that's a different story.

billiejo

#85 Post by billiejo » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 12:48 pm

Strangely enough, although Nightlife is not near the top of my favourite PSB albums, I am playing it quite a lot at the moment - Its atmosphere seems to fit the time of year.

Tom Angel

#86 Post by Tom Angel » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 1:30 pm

any idea where these have disappeared, they've gone from my itunes too.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Patrick Bateman

#87 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 2:39 pm

Grover wrote:I totally agree on the Nightlife remarks. I was just thinking the other day that the album I really dislike the most from the PSB is Nightlife. This -for me- is the only album that doesn't really sound like the PSB (apart from Neil's voice). At that time they explained they went for a 'new' sound and to be honest, for me it didn't work. You see, 'Release' is a new direction, but it still sounded very much PSB. Nightlife doesn't. It's the album I listen to least often. It has got everything to do with the production/sound and it's a pity because there are indeed flashes of brilliance here and there on it. Yes I know... 'Very' had an over-the-top production aswell, but it still sounded very much PSB to me. I indeed got the feeling like whateverman42 says that after Billigual, Nightlife was an attempt to be as big again as in the Very days. I think it's logical/natural that it kinda flopped, because they where just trying too hard... too much overproduction, too much a different sound, too much of the dreaded 'punk' image.... no it all didn't work at all for me.

I think Billigual was a brilliant album. I really, really enjoyed this album from the first listening and I still do. Whereas with 'Nightlife'... that's a different story.
Nightlife is their kitsch album. It's a hypertrophied phantasmagoric version of the boys and as such is patently ridiculous. But looking back at it now, it seems absolutely necessary. They were moving into a new phase of their career (no longer being playlisted by Radio 1), they'd done pretty much everything on the other albums (ergo. Bilingual) and pop music and culture in general were becoming more and more anodyne. There's something quite touching about them going down the dumper in the way they did: whoever coined the epithet The Samurai in Autumn was a genius.

Corina

#88 Post by Corina » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

Grover wrote: I'm not 100% sure they'd be my favourite band if they didn't make Bilingual or Release.
Hmmm, the same applies for me, but I`ll add Nightlife to your list, Grover :oops: Just like Bateman said, the Boys had to do this album, at least for already being Samurais in Autumn. I agree that this album tried a bit too hard a return to the glorious Very days, still it gained its place in the PSB history. I can`t imagine the Pet Shop Boys without "...Drunk", Radiophonic, Vampires, In denial > (I listen quite often the orchestral version of this last one). And I`m not ashamed to admit that I like New York city boy - it may have its flaws, but what a PSB thing it is! Was it meant to be a Go West clone and it failed to? So what, I don`t care, as long as they enjoyed so much making it. If this album were a person, I`m sure that I would tell them: "I don`t (always) like you, but I love you"... And I think that the metallic jackets and the short wigs were a nice thing for Neil and Chris to wear. Also, I`ve heard that they had a very good time during the Nightlife tour! :wink:
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

whateverman42

#89 Post by whateverman42 » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 8:54 pm

Sometimes we can take artists for granted to just keep putting material out, but it must be hard to say 'now what' and come up with something. I have no idea what a brilliant follow-up to Bilingual would have been, and without Nightlife their career would be different, like a butterfly effect I suppose. So I don't regret them having done it, its just surprisingly weak. If anything, it showed they weren't robots who never put out a bad track, but talented but burnt out artists who needed a recharging.

petshopboys

#90 Post by petshopboys » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 11:30 pm

Does anyone know when the boys remixed this track?
YOU ARE WHAT YOU LOVE NOT WHAT LOVES YOU