Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Opportunities UK DJ white label Ebay auction

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
trafaelwyr

Opportunities UK DJ white label Ebay auction

#1 Post by trafaelwyr » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 2:48 pm

So, there must be something pretty special about these records for the prices they fetched. Can anyone shed light on these as to why the commanded the prices they did?

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities 1985 UK 45 DJ W/L PROMO R 6097 - GBP 311.00 / Approximately US $387.38
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351899354235?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (New Edit and Mix) 1985 UK 45 DJ W/L PROMO R 6097 - GBP 461.00 / Approximately US $574.22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232136676533?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Padster

Re: Opportunities UK DJ white label Ebay auction

#2 Post by Padster » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

trafaelwyr wrote:So, there must be something pretty special about these records for the prices they fetched. Can anyone shed light on these as to why the commanded the prices they did?

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities 1985 UK 45 DJ W/L PROMO R 6097 - GBP 311.00 / Approximately US $387.38
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351899354235?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (New Edit and Mix) 1985 UK 45 DJ W/L PROMO R 6097 - GBP 461.00 / Approximately US $574.22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232136676533?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
The latter one was the only known pressing (until recently) of what every calls the 'matrix' mix of opportunities. The mix can also be found on quite a rare South African 7" of opportunities, which seems to be the only commercially available vinyl of the mix.

The first is just a test pressing of the usual first U.K. 7".

Test pressings do command quite high prices and the rarer the mix the higher you'll expect to pay for them. Only a few are ever produced.

There is another test pressing of Opportunities on a single sided 7" with the edited version of the Version Latina mix. This mix can also be found on an Australian promo 7".

Hope this helps.

Jack Acksadapo

#3 Post by Jack Acksadapo » Wed 16 Nov 2016, 12:03 am

Padster wrote: The latter one was the only known pressing (until recently) of what every calls the 'matrix' mix of opportunities. The mix can also be found on quite a rare South African 7" of opportunities, which seems to be the only commercially available vinyl of the mix.
Isn't this also on "Now That's What I Call Music 7" (although it wasn't meant to be)? Or is that a different edit?
There is another test pressing of Opportunities on a single sided 7" with the edited version of the Version Latina mix.
That only exists as an acetate, right?

Padster

#4 Post by Padster » Wed 16 Nov 2016, 1:22 am

Jack Acksadapo wrote:
Padster wrote: The latter one was the only known pressing (until recently) of what every calls the 'matrix' mix of opportunities. The mix can also be found on quite a rare South African 7" of opportunities, which seems to be the only commercially available vinyl of the mix.
Isn't this also on "Now That's What I Call Music 7" (although it wasn't meant to be)? Or is that a different edit?
There is another test pressing of Opportunities on a single sided 7" with the edited version of the Version Latina mix.
I think the mix was on acetate but is also on a pressed promo, as here....... https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-O ... se/2445061

The matrix mix also appeared on a few other variants. I seem to remember having it on a record mirror cassette or something like. So it's not exclusive to the white label promo test pressing. Well worth searching out the South African promo.

Alter Ego

#5 Post by Alter Ego » Wed 16 Nov 2016, 10:07 am

Padster wrote:
Jack Acksadapo wrote:
I think the mix was on acetate but is also on a pressed promo, as here....... https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-O ... se/2445061

The matrix mix also appeared on a few other variants. I seem to remember having it on a record mirror cassette or something like. So it's not exclusive to the white label promo test pressing. Well worth searching out the South African promo.
The matrix mix is also on a commercial UK 7" -

7": 1985 UK (Parlophone; R 6097 {-3-1-2})
7": 1985 ZA (EMI; EMIJ 4523) [unique wraparound picture sleeve]
3:19 Opportunities (matrix remix)
4:50 In The Night

One of the crowd

#6 Post by One of the crowd » Wed 16 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

Just had a quick listen to the "matrix mix" of Opportunities and noticed the opening line is "Ive got the brain, you got the look" and not "brains" and "looks"
One of the crowd has left the building

PETHEAD72

#7 Post by PETHEAD72 » Wed 16 Nov 2016, 1:55 pm

On ebay every day browsing,didn't even know these were on until i seen this post, :(
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Padster

#8 Post by Padster » Wed 16 Nov 2016, 2:23 pm

Alter Ego wrote:
The matrix mix is also on a commercial UK 7" -

7": 1985 UK (Parlophone; R 6097 {-3-1-2})
7": 1985 ZA (EMI; EMIJ 4523) [unique wraparound picture sleeve]
3:19 Opportunities (matrix remix)
4:50 In The Night
See my original response, I already said it :wink: