Final results of poll comparing PSB singles to their music videos

All Geowayne's polls and results.
geowayne

Final results of poll comparing PSB singles to their music videos

#1 Post by geowayne »

The final results are in for my poll of the past week, in which I asked my site visitors to pick two Pet Shop Boys singles: (1) the one for which the song is the "most better" than its music video, and (2) the one in which the video is the "most better" than the song. And the single/video combos that received the most votes are:

* "Left to My Own Devices," picked by 23.2% of the voters as the PSB single that is the "most better" than its video, and

* "I'm with Stupid," chosen by 7.9% of the voters as the video that is the "most better" than the song itself.

Quite a difference there, with the results far more "spread out," so to speak, for the latter than the former. At any rate, if you would like to see the complete, detailed results, please visit my "Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and select one of the "Past Survey Results" options in the top navigation bar or click the appropriate link on my "What's New?" page.

My new poll for the week ahead is conceptually much simpler than that one. I've listed the PSB collaborations (with some slight "adjustments") that the Boys themselves have listed on their official website (at http://petshopboys.co.uk/product#collaboration), and I'm asking you to pick the one that you would most like to hear them perform live in concert. (Hence, ones that they've already performed live on tour or during one of their occasional "residencies" are omitted.) So please take a few moments to check out the songs I've listed right there on my home page and make your choice. And thanks to John McFadden for suggesting this question!

Thanks as well to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I hope you all have a terrific week ahead!

TwizzleUK

Re: Final results of poll comparing PSB singles to their music videos

#2 Post by TwizzleUK »

Regarding this week's new poll, it's worth pointing out that Pet Shop Boys have performed 'Getting Away With It', 'Disappointed', and 'Patience Of A Saint' live before with Electronic in 1991: http://www.feeleverybeat.co.uk/live/europeantour.htm.

Also Wayne, I was unable to submit a comment on the 'current results' page of your website, on Android Firefox and Windows 10 Firefox, so not sure if something's broken on your site?

Cheers

Andy

Palpatine

#3 Post by Palpatine »

Not surprised with this result. The video for Left to my own devices is such a disappointment. It's not awful the way the clip for Home and Dry is, it's just so boring compared to the song, especially after the magisterial video for Domino Dancing. Left to my own devices deserved so much better. I always wonder if Left to my own devices had had a better video would it have charted a bit higher?

geowayne

#4 Post by geowayne »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sun 11 Nov 2018, 9:26 pm Regarding this week's new poll, it's worth pointing out that Pet Shop Boys have performed 'Getting Away With It', 'Disappointed', and 'Patience Of A Saint' live before with Electronic in 1991: http://www.feeleverybeat.co.uk/live/europeantour.htm.

Also Wayne, I was unable to submit a comment on the 'current results' page of your website, on Android Firefox and Windows 10 Firefox, so not sure if something's broken on your site?

Cheers

Andy
Yes, but I regard those as "one-off" live performances, so I'm permitting "Getting Away with It" and "Disappointed" among the choices since the Boys haven't performed them on tour.

Thanks for noting the problem with submitting comments for this poll. I just tried myself and it's not working for me, either. But that functionality isn't controlled by my website, but rather by my survey service provider. I'll investigate to see if it can be fixed, but it may be beyond my control. If I do fix it, I'll let you know!

Wayne

TwizzleUK

#5 Post by TwizzleUK »

Why no 'Patience Of A Saint' as well in that case?

geowayne

#6 Post by geowayne »

TwizzleUK wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 8:37 am Why no 'Patience Of A Saint' as well in that case?
When I set up this poll, I didn't know that the "Comments" feature wouldn't be working. I'm still hoping it will be fixed before the poll is over. The reason I didn't include "Patience" among the choices is explained there with the poll: "If an album is listed on the PSB site's 'Collaborations' page but it contains only a single PSB collaboration, I list that collaborative track in this poll. But if a listed album contains more than one PSB collaboration, I list only those collaborative tracks that are also listed separately there." I realize that this sounds contrived, but it was simply an attempt to limit the number of choices, keeping them to a more manageable number. In retrospect it was probably a bad decision, but I'm stuck with it now.

Thanks.

Wayne