SQL Error - Apologies for the inconvenience

For questions and answers to problems with the forum.
Drico One

SQL Error - Apologies for the inconvenience

#1 Post by Drico One »

As you'll no doubt be aware by now, the board is suffering from a bit of a meltdown at the moment. Apparently, it couldn't handle a 36-letter word that I incorporated into the 91st paragraph of a short treatise on minimalism in pop. Apologies for the inconvenience. We are trying to solve this and return normal service (quality low-brow discussion, idle speculation, pointless polls, etc.) as quickly as possible.

Hopefully it'll all be sorted by the time the Electric tour ends.

Drico.

The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

raggatwin

Re: SQL Error - Apologies for the inconvenience

#2 Post by raggatwin »

Drico One wrote:As you'll no doubt be aware by now, the board is suffering from a bit of a meltdown at the moment. Apparently, it couldn't handle a 36-letter word that I incorporated into the 91st paragraph of a short treatise on minimalism in pop. Apologies for the inconvenience. We are trying to solve this and return normal service (quality low-brow discussion, idle speculation, pointless polls, etc.) as quickly as possible.

Hopefully it'll all be sorted by the time the Electric tour ends.

Drico.
You are back!

where yer been?
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Drico One

#3 Post by Drico One »

I'm not really, I just had to give the seething masses the impression that somebody was vaguely aware that we had a problem - until the cavalry arrives and does something about it. You know, the loyal retainer they wheel out whilst frantically trying to revive the inebriated star attraction backstage having extracted her from the toilet bowl? Right now, you're stuck with me whilst the bathroom door is being broken down.

Drico.

Ghost within this house

#4 Post by Ghost within this house »

You will return interphrastically.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Ghost within this house

#5 Post by Ghost within this house »

Steve PSB is inebriated?

Things are hotting up.

Drico One

#6 Post by Drico One »

Oh, here comes the first of the tomatoes. Hope that bathroom door gives soon. I don't think I can hold them...

Drico.

Drico One

#7 Post by Drico One »

In the meantime, if there's anything that I can do to facilitate your velocitous extramuralisation, I am more than happy to help.

Drico.

minimal

#8 Post by minimal »

Hey Drico,

I guess many of us do miss your contribution to the forum. It would be so nice to have you back.

Best wishes

m+

TheGardner

#9 Post by TheGardner »

Okay, seemed to be fixed now! Hopefully! The entire board was set '18 hours back' now (to May 22nd at 2 a.m.) and maybe some people will find some of their posts missing! Try to remember what you have written and post it again!

In the end - better as we loose the all of the last ten years... The situation was very close to that, this time! :pray:

TallThinMan

#10 Post by TallThinMan »

TheGardner wrote:In the end - better as we lose the all of the last ten years... The situation was very close to that, this time! :pray:
Why was it very close to it and what are you doing to ensure it doesn't happen again?
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

StevePSB
Site Admin

#11 Post by StevePSB »

Thank you Steffen. :)

StevePSB

Ghost within this house

#12 Post by Ghost within this house »

TallThinMan wrote:
TheGardner wrote:In the end - better as we lose the all of the last ten years... The situation was very close to that, this time! :pray:
Why was it very close to it and what are you doing to ensure it doesn't happen again?
I think you really meant to say: 'Thank you very much, Steffen, for saving all our well articulated and culturally important posts from the last decade.' No?

TheGardner

#13 Post by TheGardner »

TallThinMan wrote:Why was it very close to it and what are you doing to ensure it doesn't happen again?
You can't do anything against that. With 'that' I mean an error, that accidentially let a table leave in corrupt status and nobody can bring it up again. Usually such an error can be solved with an repair tool (anyone have, who are running mysql databases or having Forums running on a server). But from time to time you have an error, that can't repaired and then you need an backup. But if that also is corrupt, because you recognise the fail a day too late - you having a real problem.
Good Thing is, that our Provider save backups for the past two weeks also. But you have to pay for a backup to be replayed and always will lose the data between the time of the Crash and the last backup was done (usually at 1 am GMT every day).
I just thought about, what happened, if their backup also was corrupt... and got the impression, that it was very close on a major loose this time.

what we can do is - still running the backups every day (even if the Provider does the same) and hoping that such an error never happen again, or at least happen in about 10 years the next time. Once in 10 years should be fine for my nerves.

alig

#14 Post by alig »

What is an SQL error? Typo? A server going self-destruct? An atrocious cover version posted by a user?
"John 3:16."

andmaste

#15 Post by andmaste »

alig wrote:What is an SQL error? Typo? A server going self-destruct? An atrocious cover version posted by a user?
It could be an uncorrected data entry.
For example last month, where I work, I had a SQL error after a coworker wrote wrong a 'date' (year 2115) and the system
crashed without any warning.
Yes, in this case there are 2 issues:
- the program didn't check the date and didn't warned the coworker
- it was easy to find the error

But sometimes it isn't easy, expecially in a forum.
Thare can be a pic with strange parameters, thare can be a word too long, there can be something you can't really be aware of.

Backups are important, but when you restore it, it is obvious that there is a loss of data.

Andrea
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it