THE NEW SINGLE IS..........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
Zeus On The Loose
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 8:27 pm

#166 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Blockhead wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote:Difference is, Before got to #7 no matter what people think and it's a chart position that PSB have still to better 8 years on.

Let's see how No time for tears will chart.
Chart Positions were based on sales figures for that particular week.

A single could, potentially, sell 1 million copies in its life time and NEVER make the top 10, yet another could sell just 10000 in its first week and hit #1.
So what would be a bigger chart hit according to the Guiness book of hit singles and people's perceptions? A 200K selling #18 or a 100K selling #1? Do you often see stickers on CDs stating 'Includes X track which didn't really make the Top-10 but sold quite a lot' ?
Does cameos only.

User avatar
jamie1978
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun 14 Dec 2003, 10:23 am
Contact:

#167 Post by jamie1978 »

Ronald42 wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:Well, the reason I am 'negative' is precisely because I have heard it, and its complete shite. Its embarrasing.
As I understood the single version/mix isn't even finished yet so you probely judging on the live recording don't think that's fair.
I think Before is a crappie shittie and embarrasing track but lot's of you don't agree. I think it's fair to state this opinion because I heard the track in full. But that's not something you can say.

DAMN I'm on a crusade. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
Well, as far as I can work out the single is there to promote the sountrack.

What would be the point of radically re-working the single to the extent that its basically unrecognisable as part of the overall soundtrack? Whats that going to achieve?

A few tweaks here and there a la Flamboyant cannot save this single from being below not only the Pet Shop Boys own standards, but the standards of 90% of the singles chart. And we know how little that is saying.

Its still going to be the same dreary MOR ballad with Neils irritating nasal whine which turns into Go West. How is this going to appeal to anyone apart from the most hardcore and forgiving of fans?

With regard to Before, its a much better song than NTFT, but I dont think its a co-incidence that they have struggled to make credible single chart runs since its release... I think most people recognise that Before probably wasnt their wisest commercial move so why make the same mistake again?

cutie_kyle
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun 10 Apr 2005, 8:15 pm
Contact:

#168 Post by cutie_kyle »

jamie1978 wrote:
Ronald42 wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:Well, the reason I am 'negative' is precisely because I have heard it, and its complete shite. Its embarrasing.
As I understood the single version/mix isn't even finished yet so you probely judging on the live recording don't think that's fair.
I think Before is a crappie shittie and embarrasing track but lot's of you don't agree. I think it's fair to state this opinion because I heard the track in full. But that's not something you can say.

DAMN I'm on a crusade. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
Well, as far as I can work out the single is there to promote the sountrack.

What would be the point of radically re-working the single to the extent that its basically unrecognisable as part of the overall soundtrack? Whats that going to achieve?

A few tweaks here and there a la Flamboyant cannot save this single from being below not only the Pet Shop Boys own standards, but the standards of 90% of the singles chart. And we know how little that is saying.

Its still going to be the same dreary MOR ballad with Neils irritating nasal whine which turns into Go West. How is this going to appeal to anyone apart from the most hardcore and forgiving of fans?

With regard to Before, its a much better song than NTFT, but I dont think its a co-incidence that they have struggled to make credible single chart runs since its release... I think most people recognise that Before probably wasnt their wisest commercial move so why make the same mistake again?


How the hell, as a fan, can you say that? Neil's irritating nasal whine ?!?! if you feel so strongly about neils vocals, why post on here?

User avatar
joncool5
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 1:15 am
Contact:

#169 Post by joncool5 »

In my opinion, No Time For Tears is one of their best slow songs since the Behaviour era...
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

User avatar
jamie1978
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun 14 Dec 2003, 10:23 am
Contact:

#170 Post by jamie1978 »

cutie_kyle wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:
Ronald42 wrote: As I understood the single version/mix isn't even finished yet so you probely judging on the live recording don't think that's fair.
I think Before is a crappie shittie and embarrasing track but lot's of you don't agree. I think it's fair to state this opinion because I heard the track in full. But that's not something you can say.

DAMN I'm on a crusade. :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
Well, as far as I can work out the single is there to promote the sountrack.

What would be the point of radically re-working the single to the extent that its basically unrecognisable as part of the overall soundtrack? Whats that going to achieve?

A few tweaks here and there a la Flamboyant cannot save this single from being below not only the Pet Shop Boys own standards, but the standards of 90% of the singles chart. And we know how little that is saying.

Its still going to be the same dreary MOR ballad with Neils irritating nasal whine which turns into Go West. How is this going to appeal to anyone apart from the most hardcore and forgiving of fans?

With regard to Before, its a much better song than NTFT, but I dont think its a co-incidence that they have struggled to make credible single chart runs since its release... I think most people recognise that Before probably wasnt their wisest commercial move so why make the same mistake again?


How the hell, as a fan, can you say that? Neil's irritating nasal whine ?!?! if you feel so strongly about neils vocals, why post on here?
Because I am a fan who is also a human being with likes and dislikes - I dont just sychophantically love everything they do, but form an opinion based on what I hear.

Neils voice works well on some tracks, and poorly on others - he could not, for example, pull off a song like "Leave right now" - he's just not that kind of vocalist. Equally Will Young could not pull off "I wouldnt normally do this kind of thing" with the same panache as Neil. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Neils weakness is shite ballads that turn into Go West.

User avatar
Zeus On The Loose
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 8:27 pm

#171 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

joncool5 wrote:In my opinion, No Time For Tears is one of their best slow songs since the Behaviour era...
You are, of course, free to like put it's objectively shite.
Does cameos only.

Eldritch
Posts: 4050
Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 9:24 am
Contact:

#172 Post by Eldritch »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:Difference is, Before got to #7 no matter what people think and it's a chart position that PSB have still to better 8 years on.
Funny how you use the #7 position to defend Before and criticise Can You Forgive Her? (while argumenting that Go West saved Very). Still Can You Forgive Her was released after a slump in PSB's sales and their least succesful single to date, while Before was a long-awaited comeback single after Very's success. Before also dropped from the charts like a stone, unlike Can you forgive her? and Se A Vida E, so I would say it's more like a start of their terminal decline than their second-to-last proper pop hit.
Click click drone

Technotrancemix

#173 Post by Technotrancemix »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:They're also free to print bootleg copies of rarties and sell them on ebay or Esprit in bulk.
I say kill the bootleggers, including those who do those typical "Russian" CD's

User avatar
Zeus On The Loose
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 8:27 pm

#174 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Eldritch wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote:Difference is, Before got to #7 no matter what people think and it's a chart position that PSB have still to better 8 years on.
Funny how you use the #7 position to defend Before and criticise Can You Forgive Her? (while argumenting that Go West saved Very). Still Can You Forgive Her was released after a slump in PSB's sales and their least succesful single to date, while Before was a long-awaited comeback single after Very's success. Before also dropped from the charts like a stone, unlike Can you forgive her? and Se A Vida E, so I would say it's more like a start of their terminal decline than their second-to-last proper pop hit.
I have never crticised Can You Forgive Her? given at it's an all time Top-5 PSB tune for me but Go West was the mega worldwide hit and what sold Very and that's simply not something that can be argued. Can You Forgive Her? also dropped out of the chart like a stone and Se A Vida E only spend a couple of weeks more than Before in the charts, hardly a stellar success. The pattend for both Very and Bilingual was similar i.e release the best song as a comeback single and the strongest, most instant single as the follow up and second pre-album release. And it worked in both cases.
Last edited by Zeus On The Loose on Fri 10 Jun 2005, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Does cameos only.

User avatar
Zeus On The Loose
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 8:27 pm

#175 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

technotrancemix wrote:
Zeus On The Loose wrote:They're also free to print bootleg copies of rarties and sell them on ebay or Esprit in bulk.
I say kill the bootleggers, including those who do those typical "Russian" CD's
I agree, although Russian CDs are pretty much harmless from a collector's point of view because everyone can tell they are fake. It's items like Introspective clear vinyl that are the main concern here.
Does cameos only.

Guest

#176 Post by Guest »

does anyone have any pictures of neil tennant and chris lowe from the 70s or the early 80s?
also which electronic store did neil tennant meet chris lowe?
one more thing do you know where chris lowe study doing keyboard and do you know where neil study to become a singer?

Piotrek
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed 03 Mar 2004, 4:25 am
Contact:

#177 Post by Piotrek »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:
I agree, although Russian CDs are pretty much harmless from a collector's point of view because everyone can tell they are fake. It's items like Introspective clear vinyl that are the main concern here.
Is it my immagination that I read somewhere that there is only one record (vinyl) pressing plant in Europe.
Or is there only one major one that presses bulk releases, and small independant ones that press whatever one wishes it to make.

User avatar
Zeus On The Loose
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 8:27 pm

#178 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

Piotrek wrote:
Is it my immagination that I read somewhere that there is only one record (vinyl) pressing plant in Europe.
Or is there only one major one that presses bulk releases, and small independant ones that press whatever one wishes it to make.
There are hundreds of plants that one could order a couple of hundred copies from. I don't think there's only one major plant, I'd guess each major record label has their own.
Does cameos only.

User avatar
joncool5
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 1:15 am
Contact:

#179 Post by joncool5 »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:
joncool5 wrote:In my opinion, No Time For Tears is one of their best slow songs since the Behaviour era...
You are, of course, free to like put it's objectively shite.
Well with my immaculate taste in music, I feel my opinion counts a lot more than certain people :roll:
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Piotrek
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed 03 Mar 2004, 4:25 am
Contact:

#180 Post by Piotrek »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:
There are hundreds of plants that one could order a couple of hundred copies from. I don't think there's only one major plant, I'd guess each major record label has their own.
You are right.
I think I got mixed up with the fact that when EMI closed the Swindon CD manufacturing plant, all production of EMI's CDs went to a factory mainland Europe (maybe Holland but I might be wrong).
Judging by search results, it appears that there are many vinyl pressing plants.
However, if one was to take a record to a pressing plant, and ask them to make copies, wouldn't the pressing plant refuse on the basis of infringing on copyright. Also, if one did manage to get the records themselves made, what about the album jackets??

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 36 guests