Release Revisted

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tony Cologne

Release Revisted

#1 Post by Tony Cologne »

I hadn't heard it in quite a while, but on my subway trip into work the other day I listened to Release again. Time almost stood still and I finally realized how many amazing songs there are on that record. What an amazing and underrated album.

<3

Zeus On The Loose

#2 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

How did you manage to escape the NY Taste PD?
Does cameos only.

Trixiemix

Re: Release Revisted

#3 Post by Trixiemix »

Tony Cologne wrote:I hadn't heard it in quite a while, but on my subway trip into work the other day I listened to Release again. Time almost stood still and I finally realized how many amazing songs there are on that record. What an amazing and underrated album.

<3
I agree, there are some lovely songs on this album. 'London' and 'Here' are my favourites.

Tony Cologne

#4 Post by Tony Cologne »

Zeus On The Loose wrote:How did you manage to escape the NY Taste PD?
Headphones

;)

Young Offender

#5 Post by Young Offender »

I've been wanting to listen to it again for a while, I pulled it out and will be in the next couple of days.

Great album, great tour, great era.

No regrets!

weirdalfan1980

#6 Post by weirdalfan1980 »

Its a great ambient album to hear when you like to change the music style.
Yo, Mr. Dopeman, you think your slick;
Ya sold crack to my sister, and now she's sick.
But if she happens to die, because of your drug;
Im puttin' in your culo, a .38 slug!

glennjridge

#7 Post by glennjridge »

release gave me email and london which are right up there now in my top ten of alltime favorite PSB songs. thats all I ask really. as long as on every new CD there is at least 2 to 3 songs that knock me out I'm happy.

cutie_kyle

#8 Post by cutie_kyle »

I like to listen to release in the hour before sleep, it's a nice chillout album and gets me thinking about love and relationships. Not sure if that's a good thing in itself however?

Zeus On The Loose

#9 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

weirdalfan1980 wrote:Its a great ambient album to hear when you like to change the music style.
Yeah, a bit like The Orb and Aphex Twin.
Does cameos only.

Kris

#10 Post by Kris »

cutie_kyle wrote:I like to listen to release in the hour before sleep, it's a nice chillout album and gets me thinking about love and relationships. Not sure if that's a good thing in itself however?
That's how I perceive Release too. I've always found it a really good post-work album or one to listen to on train journeys.

Although it is arguably PSB's least exciting album musically, I still think there are a lot of very underrated songs on there. Home and Dry is a subtle masterpiece, London has a killer melody, Birthday Boy is hugely moving, Love Is a Catastrophe is heartbreaking and You Choose is a poignant tearjerker.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

jamie1978

#11 Post by jamie1978 »

Kris wrote:
cutie_kyle wrote:I like to listen to release in the hour before sleep, it's a nice chillout album and gets me thinking about love and relationships. Not sure if that's a good thing in itself however?
That's how I perceive Release too. I've always found it a really good post-work album or one to listen to on train journeys.

Although it is arguably PSB's least exciting album musically, I still think there are a lot of very underrated songs on there. Home and Dry is a subtle masterpiece, London has a killer melody, Birthday Boy is hugely moving, Love Is a Catastrophe is heartbreaking and You Choose is a poignant tearjerker.
I feel that calling H&D a 'masterpiece' is rather pushing things. 'Average MOR pop' would be more appropriate.

Release is okay. It is what is it, a break from the PSB norm. In that, it served its purpose well, but as an album it's just not particularly inspiring. 'Dull' - thats the word I was looking for.

Kris

#12 Post by Kris »

jamie1978 wrote:
Kris wrote:

I feel that calling H&D a 'masterpiece' is rather pushing things. 'Average MOR pop' would be more appropriate.

Release is okay. It is what is it, a break from the PSB norm. In that, it served its purpose well, but as an album it's just not particularly inspiring. 'Dull' - thats the word I was looking for.
Well, it's all about opinions I guess. For me, Home and Dry is the classic slowburner. It didn't do much for me at all on the first listen but slowly and gradually its sound and melodies caressed their way underneath my skin. I used the phrase "subtle masterpiece" because it's the sort of song where you notice something new on every listen - for example the way in which the additional guitar comes in at the start of the second verse or the "ooh-oh ooooh-oh" vocals towards the end (that really make their mark on the ambient version of the song, which is truly beautiful).

I've also always liked the way in which the song has the same riff running throughout yet comprises four different vocal melodies. And finally, I think Neil's vocals - as they do throughout Release - sound really pure and emotional, particularly on the lines "there's a plane at JFK to fly you back from far away/All those dark and frantic transatlantic miles".
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Kirk Mack

#13 Post by Kirk Mack »

I've always said that I thought that Release worked much better as a whole album than cut up into individual songs/singles. There aren't (IMO) any true standout songs that set themselves apart from the others. But whenever I put the album in, it flows really well. I even listen all the way through the catastrophic song and the Eminem song, whereas I could never listen to JUST those songs.....

#14 Post by Guest »

Though Release isn't one of my top albums, when i listen to it from time to time, i always appreciate it more. When i played it the first time, i was soooo disappointed!! :x it was too different from all the previous albums!! I loved all the lyrics but the songs didn't catch me so much... later i got used to that sound and i started appreciating most of the tracks :wink: , though, i repeat, it's not one of my favourite PSB albums.

Bulldog

#15 Post by Bulldog »

It's full of good songs. What lacks, I have to admit, is a bit of freshness. They should have put in "Between two islands".