Tonight's BBC concert....

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Neutron69

Tonight's BBC concert....

#1 Post by Neutron69 »

My friend has just txtd me now the show has finished.

He said it was amazing with Neil's voice being very, very good.

Duets: Robbie did Jealousy, Rufus did Casanova and Frances Barber (Billie Trix) did Friendly Fire.

Other top hightlights were:

Integral (my friend is not a big fan but said it came alive with the orchestra)

Dreaming of the Queen

Nothing has been proved

It's a Sin (again brought to life by a big orcherstra).

Elton and JSP were in the audience.

Neutron

!

#2 Post by ! »

Ooh great! 8)

I bet Rufus Wainwright was brilliant!

simonm

#3 Post by simonm »

F@ckin amazing gig!!

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman »

WHAT? Rufus was there too?!

My girlfriend is jealous now! Robbie AND Rufus, two of her favorite artists! I saw Rufus last year in Amsterdam, it was brilliant.

DazzerUKUK

#5 Post by DazzerUKUK »

That was stunning!

PSB's music never sounded so good - the orchestrations were mind blowing. How can they possibly top that?

Robbie threw away Jealousy imho, the orchestra just blew him away !

And what a fantastic arrangement of S&G show....

The post show party was fun - neon signs al la Fundamental cover featuring various songs from the new album.

Sir Elton and JSP sat in the corner behind a velvet rope protected by two bouncers....hilarious!

All in all, a massive success and I look forward to hearing the highlights on R2. Good to see the BBC spending our licence fee on something decent for once.
:lol:
And you say you never believed in luck

sibisi73

#6 Post by sibisi73 »

I agree about Robbie - a majestic song but he just couldn't help but mug his way through it, could he?! His semi-standing ovation was a little embarassing however. Rufus on the other was superb - great performance. I have resisted listening to any of the new material before it's officially out there and the tracks tonight were all stand-outs. 'Integral' and 'Indefinite leave to remain' were highlights for me, along with the amazing opening of 'Left to my own devices' and, of course, 'It's a sin'. Actually, this was possibly the best setlist I've seen them do for a long time. They had to do lots of new stuff but mixing it in with 'It's alright' and the Angelo Badalamenti arrangement of 'Rent' really showed just how versatile they are. Only lull for me was 'Dreaming of the Queen', which, admittedly, I've never got on with very much.

Strangest moment of the night was the inclusion of 'After all' complete with movie screen showing the Odessa staircase sequence - after all, this was a radio concert! Not sure it works without the pictures.

A brilliant night - set your tape recordrs for the broadcast!!

DazzerUKUK

#7 Post by DazzerUKUK »

I wonder if they will cut the BP section......

The radio version is 90 minutes with 30 mins of interviews.....a few things will have to be cut!

Debussy

#8 Post by Debussy »

Oh god!
You UK people are so lucky with events like this and concerts and stuff.

Very jealous :cry:

Netman

#9 Post by Netman »

Sounds great. Thank you.

I hope BBC broadcast most of the songs soon :)

BimboDuncan

#10 Post by BimboDuncan »

As others have said, a fantastic night. I felt very proud of our boys!

Only slight gripe, if you're going to have guests at your concert you would at least ask them to learn the words to your song! Both Rufus and Robbie hardly looked up from the scrap of paper with lyrics which were in front of them. Rufus's performance, while beautifully sung, was a bit tense because it looked the whole way through that he had no idea what was coming next!

Luna Park sounded amazing! And why doesn't Sodom and Gomorrah sound that big on the album?
We’re different from the others.
No one understands us here.
Imagine how free we will be,
If we disappear?

joncool5

#11 Post by joncool5 »

BimboDuncan wrote:As others have said, a fantastic night. I felt very proud of our boys!

Only slight gripe, if you're going to have guests at your concert you would at least ask them to learn the words to your song! Both Rufus and Robbie hardly looked up from the scrap of paper with lyrics which were in front of them. Rufus's performance, while beautifully sung, was a bit tense because it looked the whole way through that he had no idea what was coming next!

Luna Park sounded amazing! And why doesn't Sodom and Gomorrah sound that big on the album?
You'd have though Robbie would have known the bloody lyrics to "Jealousy"!! Saying that he is rather lacking when it comes to talent.

DazzerUKUK

#13 Post by DazzerUKUK »

>Luna Park sounded amazing! And why doesn't Sodom and Gomorrah sound that big on the album?

Good question. Maybe they couldn't afford all those musicians on an album.....you know what the unions are like!

The more I think about Robbie and what he did, the more I think what a tw*t! He didn't learn the words....almost cocked up, and halfway through the penny dropped when he realised the magnitude of the event and the quality of the orchestra and he finally got on with it....

dgraysn

#14 Post by dgraysn »

will the broadcast be available to "listen again" on the BBC site after may 27th?
"Steely Blue eyes with no love in them, Scan The World" STOP BUSH

http://www.fotolog.net/dgraysn/

Ghost within this house

#15 Post by Ghost within this house »

DazzerUKUK wrote:>Luna Park sounded amazing! And why doesn't Sodom and Gomorrah sound that big on the album?

Good question. Maybe they couldn't afford all those musicians on an album.....you know what the unions are like!

The more I think about Robbie and what he did, the more I think what a tw*t! He didn't learn the words....almost cocked up, and halfway through the penny dropped when he realised the magnitude of the event and the quality of the orchestra and he finally got on with it....
... it casts a new light on the old story of Robbie reciting the whole of Behaviour one night in the Groucho Club.

what a charlatan :twisted:
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun