"Love is a bourgeois construct" - 3rd single from "Electric"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Drem

"Love is a bourgeois construct" - 3rd single from "Electric"

#1 Post by Drem »

According to the Stereoboard:

Pet Shop Boys have announced they will release their new single, Love Is A Bourgeois Construct, on September 2. The track is taken from the duo's latest album 'Electric'.

The single, which was musically inspired by Michael Nyman’s Chasing Sheep Is Best Left To Shepherds, has been highlighted by many as a future classic Pet Shop Boys hit single.

'Electric' (check out Stereoboard's review here) has received huge critical acclaim, entering the UK album chart at Number 3 on Sunday.

Love Is A Bourgeois Construct will be released on CD and digital bundle with a 12” to follow, and will be accompanied by remixes and two brand new Pet Shop Boys songs. The titles of the new songs are Entschuldigung! and Get it Online.
Last edited by Drem on Mon 22 Jul 2013, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

ZiggyPSB

Re: "Love is a bourgeois construct" - 3rd single from "Elect

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Another one for Get it online, but for Love is a bourgeois construct instead of Vocal. Pet Text we need youuuu~!
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

DJAMIX

#3 Post by DJAMIX »

Wow!!! Remixes and B-sides!!!
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

Mr Love

#4 Post by Mr Love »

There you have your b-sides, moaners. ;)

Tom Angel

#5 Post by Tom Angel »

No!! Please, it's not a single. This is like deliberate self sabotage. It's a guilty pleasure of self parody- entertaining enough on the album, but in no way is this single material. I despair.
Good news re b-sides though
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

ZiggyPSB

#6 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Tom Angel wrote:No!! Please, it's not a single. This is like deliberate self sabotage. It's a guilty pleasure of self parody- entertaining enough on the album, but in no way is this single material. I despair.
Good news re b-sides though
That's how most people describe Winner. OK as an album track but career ruining as a single. I don't know who's a bigger Thursday fanboy. You or Nickname? lol
Last edited by ZiggyPSB on Mon 22 Jul 2013, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

TheGhostOfMyself

#7 Post by TheGhostOfMyself »

1st single - Axis?
2nd single - Vocal?
3rd single - Love Is A Bourgeois Construct?

y3potential

#8 Post by y3potential »

I know there are some who think that "Construct" is an instant classic and may well be the next single but to me it's not that great. Just my opinion... A shame that "Thursday" (the most commercial song on the album IMO) doesn't look like it will now be a single. Oh well, I look forward to the b sides.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Tom Angel

#9 Post by Tom Angel »

Haha! I'm not going to mention it, as even objectively Thursday (oops) is a bloody massive single, it supersedes who it's actually buy and has a strong chance to crossover. Love... Really is EVERYTHING a it of people hate about psb. It's camp and a rollicking caper, and the opposite to what more people loved abiut them initially, ie. Please and Actually, it has non of the genuinely urban stance of Thursday, which returns them to their roots and would subsequently surprise people, unlike Love..., which will confirm prejudices and is their most overrated song I've encountered in terms of other people falling over themselves to praise it. Have they not heard the far superior Red letter day

tottenhammattspurs

#10 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Love is a bourgeois construct is career suicide as a single. All the hard work done to get Electric up there with the greats and show the public they are "back Back BACK! etc and the average joe public, who thinks PSB are cheesy orchestral samples and male voice choirs will be proved right.
is is and isnt isnt

Tom Angel

#12 Post by Tom Angel »

It is suicide. I cringe when I play it to people, unlike fluorescent or Thursday or inside a dream or Bolshy.

ZiggyPSB

#13 Post by ZiggyPSB »

So let me think what might happen. There's these people who have this idea of what they hate about PSB and Love is a bourgeois construct will force this point home if its released as a single. However release Thursday in its stead, it gets those people hooked, and decide to invest in Electric. They get the album and then, shock horror, they come across Love is a bourgeois contruct. Their feelings about PSB before Thursday will return and we'll be back to square one.

But who cares in that case? So long as Thursday is released, Electric gets more sales, and Love is a bourgeois construct joins Winner in PSB Room 101 and stays as an album track.

Seriously, could Love is a bourgeois construct be worse than Winner? Are you f***ing kidding me?!

TheGhostOfMyself

#14 Post by TheGhostOfMyself »

Don't forget we still have to have the Stuart Price radio edit..........

KingofRome

#15 Post by KingofRome »

To NOT release "Love Is A Bourgeois Construct" would have been a total mistake!

Fans complained because "Shameless" was only a b-side and there you have "Bourgeois" which is one of the greatest songs of ELECTRIC in the same vein ("Thursday" being the second one, it's true, and should be the 4rth single)!