"We're Shameless...........

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Message
Author
User avatar
Native
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:51 am
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

"We're Shameless...........

#1 Post by Native »


User avatar
Avalon
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri 07 Nov 2003, 8:39 am
Contact:

#2 Post by Avalon »

Pretty lame, indeed... Unless, of course, every single comes in a different cover, like one with a black flower, an other with a red one, a third one pink and a fourth one red. An idea for PSB perhaps?

Luna Noctis

#3 Post by Luna Noctis »

Hehe ... what kind of fans do those guys have ?

I see nothing wrong with the campagne , the ones who are not OK are those fans who bought extra-copies of the single . After all , they had their choice , and they made it , so there's nobody to blame really :twisted:

User avatar
rags
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm

#4 Post by rags »

Luna Noctis wrote:Hehe ... what kind of fans do those guys have ?
Probably as nutters as most here ;)
Avalon wrote:Pretty lame, indeed... Unless, of course, every single comes in a different cover, like one with a black flower, an other with a red one, a third one pink and a fourth one red. An idea for PSB perhaps?
Reading the article, the only thing they seem to request their fans to do is to buy CD1, CD2 and DVD... That is not pretty lame, that is three different cds! He does mention buying two "versions" in the article, so that would suggest CD1 and CD2 for example. :)

Having said that... it is an easy way to raises your sales, isn't it! ;) The example you mentioned is THE thing I refused to buy. I was so pissed of at the time with that marketing trick of the pets that I refused to buy Release all together for a very long time :)

User avatar
Native
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:51 am
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

#5 Post by Native »

This is awful -

"If, however, you'd like to make an old dog very happy, you could dig deep, get into eight quid's worth of debt and buy three copies or more of our single."

He's begging, for Christ's sake!

User avatar
shamelessbehave
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2003, 2:27 pm

#6 Post by shamelessbehave »

How shameless!!!! :o
http://www.myspace.com/shamelesssilvia

"It´s fundamental that we do only exist in our own universe. When you like Pet Shop Boys, you are in our world. This is absolutely crucial to our entire outlook...what we do has an incredibly strong identity and applies only to us. It´s a case of not recognising the existence of anybody else!". Neil Tennant.

dVTB
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon 24 Nov 2003, 12:09 am

#7 Post by dVTB »

----
Last edited by dVTB on Sat 24 Jul 2004, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Asmodean
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:32 pm

#8 Post by Asmodean »

Not shameless... just another way of marketing oneself :D
I'm always waiting, for a red letter day

dizzy

#9 Post by dizzy »

Kinda sad, but cleaver.

This I didn't know:
"The band's fans are renowned for their loyalty. In 1997 they raised $60,000 (£32,000) to help finance a North American tour. "

And the question is: why?

User avatar
rags
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:23 pm

#10 Post by rags »

dizzy wrote:And the question is: why?
So the band could go on tour of course and they could then buy tickets to see them! :wall:

;)

Kris
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat 08 Nov 2003, 11:22 am

#11 Post by Kris »

Hmmm, I do think it's sad when artists actually openly urge their fans to buy multiple copies of singles, although simply buying CD1, CD2 and a DVD package isn't a problem - surely fans of most acts do that anyway.

I know the Release album in its multiple colours could be considered as a bit of a scam but I can't believe any more than a small minority of fans bought every sleeve.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 6:07 pm

#12 Post by TheLion »

Just listened to 'You're Gone' - Oh dear, I just wish they'd go instead.

(But good luck to them if their fans enjoy it).

User avatar
Ronald42
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat 08 Feb 2003, 11:04 am
Contact:

#13 Post by Ronald42 »

dVTB wrote:I don't call this shameless at all; I call it clever. And I actually hope they will reach their goal. Why? Because it's the ultimate proof that the best-selling music isn't automatically the best music.

(dVTB)
Remeber this

One day fly, I wonna be a one day fly
I wonder wonder why, I’m just a ... one day fly
THE FUTURE THAT YOU ANTICIPATED HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Slap & Tickle

#14 Post by Slap & Tickle »

dVTB wrote:I don't call this shameless at all; I call it clever. And I actually hope they will reach their goal. Why? Because it's the ultimate proof that the best-selling music isn't automatically the best music.

(dVTB)
Agreed dVTB.

Seem to remember Erasure did something similar to get Solbury Hill into the top 10.

At leat we don't have to resort to this with PSB!!!! (Yet)

User avatar
andmaste
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed 19 Nov 2003, 8:02 am
Contact:

#15 Post by andmaste »

and they reached #7!!!!
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

Post Reply