SUPER (2 years later, we'll see its popularity)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

In my favourate PSB studio albums of all time, SUPER is....

Number 1
No votes
Number 2
4%
Number 3
6%
Number 4
2%
Number 5
6%
Number 6
19%
Number 7
7%
Number 8
4%
Number 9
11%
Number 10, 11, 12, 13
41%

Total votes: 81

East End Bhoy

Re: SUPER (2 years later, we'll see its popularity)

#16 Post by East End Bhoy »

For me its :

1. Introspective
2. Actually
3. Fundamental
4. Electric
5. Behaviour
6. Super
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow, 2022-Glasgow, 2023-Aberdeen

Hamlet

#17 Post by Hamlet »

Stuart Price did a good Madonna Album but Electric and Super are bad as hell. Never will buy a third PSB/Price Collab.

Pod

#18 Post by Pod »

:shock:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

MikeyC

#19 Post by MikeyC »

Hamlet wrote: Tue 15 May 2018, 10:38 pm Stuart Price did a good Madonna Album but Electric and Super are bad as hell. Never will buy a third PSB/Price Collab.

Oooh that's a little harsh!

He also did great work with Kylie and The Killers! 8)

glennjridge

#20 Post by glennjridge »

the only saving grace on that trite plastic sounding record is I happen to think that "Sad Robot world" and "the Dictator decides" are the PSB at their absolute best. I always hope Neil on each album delivers the goods and comes up with some lyrics I can really get into, and with those 2 tunes he totally did, especially Sad robot world.

as I always say, you never know where neil will go with a new set of album lyrics topic wise, and those lyrics for that tune are a perfect example. in fact the music is as engaging as the lyrics also.
the sort of retro 80's feel. and Dictator decides, especially that glorious intro, it makes me forgive the rest of the album is a hard left one note sounding affair. all I ask is, instead of going hard left total electronic...or hard right too orchestral, just do a standard PSB album. the proper even mix of electronic and orchestral.

Bulldog

#21 Post by Bulldog »

1- Introspective
2- Electric
3- Behaviour
4- Fundamental
5- Elysium
6- Release
7- Yes
8- Actually
9- Please
10- Very
11- Bilingual
12- Super
13- Nightlife

Bulldog

#22 Post by Bulldog »

Well, so far it doesn't seem terribly popular, does it?

Nickname

#23 Post by Nickname »

One of the crowd wrote: Tue 15 May 2018, 9:23 pm
nickname wrote: Tue 15 May 2018, 7:14 pm
One of the crowd wrote: Tue 15 May 2018, 12:19 pm

Wheres "Please"?
Maybe, it's # 7.
Dropped 3 places then
It depends.

For me, their two best albums are Introspective and Actually. I'm not able to say which one is better. Sometime I put Actually like the first one and sometimes I put Introspective but I'm not sure about it. I'm sure the #3 is Very. Fundamental could be the #4 but Yes wins because Fundamental is too slow but the production in amazing and it has good songs.

I don't know why but Super sounds so fresh to me, so happy, so uplifting. It's like PSB were young again and I love that feeling. As a whole, I think is a good album.

I love Please but I have to put things on perspective and I try to avoid the nostalgia, trying to be fair with the quality of the album.
Last edited by Nickname on Wed 16 May 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

York Minster

#24 Post by York Minster »

This poll is pretty damning against Super. It's at the bottom of the pile for me. As glenn says, "trite, plastic" doesn't hold up against other flawed albums like Nightlife where there were all kinds of emotions to feel. The last couple times I put this album on I took it right back out. It's not a bad album, and nothing as inglorious as Winner, but it's not PSB at their best.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

One of the crowd

#25 Post by One of the crowd »

nickname wrote: Wed 16 May 2018, 9:58 pm
One of the crowd wrote: Tue 15 May 2018, 9:23 pm
nickname wrote: Tue 15 May 2018, 7:14 pm

Maybe, it's # 7.
Dropped 3 places then
It depends.

For me, their two best albums are Introspective and Actually. I'm not able to say which one is better. Sometime I put Actually like the first one and sometimes I put Introspective but I'm not sure about it. I'm sure the #3 is Very. Fundamental could be the #4 but Yes wins because Fundamental is too slow but the production in amazing and it has good songs.

I don't know why but Super sounds so fresh to me, so happy, so uplifting. It's like PSB were young again and I love that feeling. As a whole, I think is a good album.

I love Please but I have to put things on perspective and I try to avoid the nostalgia, trying to be fair with the quality of the album.
Unless they come up with another masterpiece, I’ll always have Behaviour at 1 and Introspective at 2.

Never really been a fan of Actually as an album but selective songs are up there with their best.

Likewise, I agree with you in regards to the freshness of Super and along with Electric. They are “play loud” records.

My 13 are...

Behaviour
Introspective
Please
Fundamental
Electric
Very
Yes
Super
Actually
Release
Elysium
Nightlife
Bilingual
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

Scottydog

#26 Post by Scottydog »

I’ve placed it at six but that’s not to say it would stay there next week. It depends on the type of music I am listening too at the time. Super will never be at the top but nor will it ever be bottom. All I can say is Electric, Behaviour, Elysium, Bilingual and my own version of Nightlife will always be ahead of Super whatever my music mood.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

spacewalker

#27 Post by spacewalker »

1. Behaviour
2. Please
3. Introspective
4. Fundamental
5. Very
6. Bilingual
7. Actually

After that it's getting a bit harder to choose. "Super" would be around #10, I guess. Might not be the great album overall but certainly has its moments. "Into thin air" is still awesome and I just love "The dictator decides"/"Pazzo!" sequence.

RMC

#28 Post by RMC »

Last time I played behaviour was about 20 years ago, really don’t like it..but give me electric and Super and I’m interested again.

I have never been as delighted and surprised as the last few years as a lifetime fan.

onzio

#29 Post by onzio »

MikeyC wrote: Wed 16 May 2018, 12:36 am He also did great work with Kylie and The Killers! 8)
And Take That too.
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

StevePSB
Site Admin

#30 Post by StevePSB »

Electric was great. Super was poor. Definitely in the lower reaches of my own personal PSB album chart.

StevePSB