Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: Reissues project

#2326 Post by Pod »

I already own all these vinyls, but going to buy these anyway.
Because I can...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

michael888

#2327 Post by michael888 »

Finally can get Bilingual and Very on LP. They are incredibly expensive on discovery.
A small voice of calm and reason.

Tom Angel

#2328 Post by Tom Angel »

These are the three most significant reissues for vinyl.
I've never had Very nor Bilingual on record so it's about bloody time!

BTW, has anyone noticed any difference between the original Elysium vinyl and the reissue? I can;t believe there's much in it as it was so recent, but I may be wrong...
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Parkol

#2329 Post by Parkol »

All I can say is... it's too late. PSB had to re-release their Vinyls 10-15 years ago. I know a lot of people who don't care about singles, albums, concerts, tours and etc now... They have families, they have other problems, so PSB are too late. We wanted Relentless on the vinyl - they re-release Elysium that was recorded 5 years ago... Why? Who knows? Marketing? So smart!

I bought ZERO copies of remastered stuff, ZERO. I will by Bilingual and Very on vinyl, but I really regret they don't re-release Relentless.

Boring. I hope we will hear a good album. I hope.

rollo

#2330 Post by rollo »

Parkol wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:40 am All I can say is... it's too late. PSB had to re-release their Vinyls 10-15 years ago. I know a lot of people who don't care about singles, albums, concerts, tours and etc now...
In 2002, 750k LPs were sold in the UK; in 2007, it was 200k. Last year it was 4 million.

Nearly as many people bought the Nightlife reissue in its first week (2,873) as bought Concrete in its first week (3,772). More people bought the Yes reissue (2,515) than The Most Incredible Thing (2,386). The reissue of Elysium sold a quarter as many in its first week (2,233) as the same album sold when it first came out (10,418).

Even the more recent reissues have sold 1,500 copies each in their first week alone, so they're hardly wasting their time.

Anecdotal evidence aside, these reissues are selling well, and I find it hard to believe they would have sold as well 10-15 years ago.
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

Parkol

#2331 Post by Parkol »

rollo wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 4:31 pm
Parkol wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 10:40 am All I can say is... it's too late. PSB had to re-release their Vinyls 10-15 years ago. I know a lot of people who don't care about singles, albums, concerts, tours and etc now...
In 2002, 750k LPs were sold in the UK; in 2007, it was 200k. Last year it was 4 million.

Nearly as many people bought the Nightlife reissue in its first week (2,873) as bought Concrete in its first week (3,772). More people bought the Yes reissue (2,515) than The Most Incredible Thing (2,386). The reissue of Elysium sold a quarter as many in its first week (2,233) as the same album sold when it first came out (10,418).

Even the more recent reissues have sold 1,500 copies each in their first week alone, so they're hardly wasting their time.

Anecdotal evidence aside, these reissues are selling well, and I find it hard to believe they would have sold as well 10-15 years ago.
I hope they know what to do.

oakey

Reissues project

#2332 Post by oakey »

Parkol wrote:
rollo wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 4:31 pm

I hope they know what to do.
I had the same idea. Vinyl was dead 15 years ago. That’s why vinyl releases from say 95-07 are extremely expensive, eg PSB Alternative, Duran’s Astronaut and RCM album etc. Few albums were pressed and hardly anyone bought them at the time.

More and more of these are being re-released now which will affect the value of the initial releases though.

BlackPanther

#2333 Post by BlackPanther »

oakey wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:01 pm More and more of these are being re-released now which will affect the value of the initial releases though.
I doubt that that is the case. A first pressing remains a first pressing. There will always be people who prefer that, especially when the re-issues contain (mastering) errors or omit bonus material like the Elysium vinyl.

ArtHist

#2334 Post by ArtHist »

BlackPanther wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:03 pm
oakey wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:01 pm More and more of these are being re-released now which will affect the value of the initial releases though.
I doubt that that is the case. A first pressing remains a first pressing. There will always be people who prefer that, especially when the re-issues contain (mastering) errors or omit bonus material like the Elysium vinyl.
Absolutely. I'd prefer the first pressing of any album and really don't see any merit in these reissues. Discogs is a good indicator of how the originals remain more desirable to collectors. It might have made a difference if the Boys had added b-sides from the singles released off each album to the vinyl pressing.

oakey

#2335 Post by oakey »

ArtHist wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:47 pm
Absolutely. I'd prefer the first pressing of any album and really don't see any merit in these reissues. Discogs is a good indicator of how the originals remain more desirable to collectors. It might have made a difference if the Boys had added b-sides from the singles released off each album to the vinyl pressing.
True, but most vinyl lovers don't care (especially the majority of current buyers, ie the hipsters). I have always bought vinyl, from the 80s till now, but I never cared anout the first, second or nth pressing. Sure, some pressings are inferior or have simpler artwork, no gatefold etc. so these I would avoid.
With these limited 90s and 00s pressings both the casual vinyl fan and the die hard first pressing fan wants them. When re-released, the first is happy with the new ones so will not look for the expensive original pressing anymore.

Many have not had the chance to buy these albums on vinyl, so a re-release is perfect. If you don't want them, then don't buy them.

I only said their value will be affected, not that these first pressings will become worthless...

ArtHist

#2336 Post by ArtHist »

oakey wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018, 7:20 am
ArtHist wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:47 pm
True, but most vinyl lovers don't care (especially the majority of current buyers, ie the hipsters). I have always bought vinyl, from the 80s till now, but I never cared anout the first, second or nth pressing. Sure, some pressings are inferior or have simpler artwork, no gatefold etc. so these I would avoid.
With these limited 90s and 00s pressings both the casual vinyl fan and the die hard first pressing fan wants them. When re-released, the first is happy with the new ones so will not look for the expensive original pressing anymore.

Many have not had the chance to buy these albums on vinyl, so a re-release is perfect. If you don't want them, then don't buy them.

I only said their value will be affected, not that these first pressings will become worthless...
Lolz at the hipsters reference. I'm just amazed at what's being released on vinyl these days. Little Mix, Ariana Grande albums....? Surely their average fans consume the music via youtube. I'd be interested to know what it costs to press vinyl records. I can't imagine Little Mix would sell many in that format.

oakey

#2337 Post by oakey »

Funny indeed. You find Bieber on vinyl, plus many of the €1 bin titles you find in second hand record stores are being re-released as well.

Jamesqdot

#2338 Post by Jamesqdot »

This thread is 156 pages long now and I'm late to the party. I haven't ordered ANY of the new Further Listening editions either on vinyl or CD so far (call myself a fan?) because I'm deeply cynical about the quality based on the previous 2001 editions. Can anyone help or point to some posts in this thread with useful info please? Pretty please? I've tried searching around for this sort of info online generally and not found much.

I'd ideally like to hear the CD "remasters" for these before buying but some opinions on here would be almost as helpful. :)

I already have the 2001 Further Listening editions of all except Bilingual (which I just plain don't like, call myself a fan?) and for the most part they sound absolutely terrible compared with original releases and especially the Further Listening editions.

Compare how a b-side like 'Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend' sounds on the Further Listening set as opposed to its counterpart on Alternative and you can hear just how much the bass has been and volume have been boosted at the expense of everything else. The whole lot is consequently brick-walled to hell. It's like listening to the material underwater in comparison.

I'm actually more tempted by the vinyl reissues as I have very few PSB albums on vinyl, and those that I do are worn almost beyond recognition!

Jamesqdot

#2339 Post by Jamesqdot »

York Minster wrote: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 1:32 am
Pod wrote: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:21 am
Undertaker wrote: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:17 am Also, Erasures Loveboat released in 2000 debuted at number 45 with sales of around 5,000.
Blimey - that was one dire album.
I don't think I've listened to the album in the last 10 years.
You should. I used to think it was dire too. I was wrong. Yes, the production is a bit crazy, but as an experiment I actually rather like it. And there's some genuinely great songs on there too.

fac23

#2340 Post by fac23 »

The new remasters are a quite a bit than the old ones (in my opinion). If you were someone who hadn't bought the 2001 editions because of the bad mastering, I'd tell you, now's the time to get the Further Listening set because these are better. If you own the original 80s and 90s versions plus the 2001 versions, only get the 2018 sets if you have to prove to yourself you're still a real fan. :)