Strange feeling...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
fac23

Re: Strange feeling...

#16 Post by fac23 »

PSB had a fantastic 10 year album run from 1986 on. 1996 was the beginning of a 10 year stretch of deeply flawed albums. 2006 marked an impressive turnaround followed by a bunch of great albums. Well, 2016 brought us Super. I hereby predict, the next masterpiece will appear in 2026. Only eight years to go. Hold on.

madsnielsen

#17 Post by madsnielsen »

Love comes quickly
whatever you do
you can't stop falling
:up:

to
You try
You lose
You don't fall in love by chance
You choose
:eh:
Mads Nielsen
If people say I'm crazy, I tell 'em that it's true

madsnielsen

#18 Post by madsnielsen »

This is actually quite fun.
Dressing individually doesn't impress me
I think that it's pathetic
Following fashion, I just like it
Don't I?
Don't want to be seen or heard
Don't want to shout out loud
I want to be part of the herd
one of the crowd
:up:

to
When they see
the latest me
people stop and stare
I don't mind
I’m on cloud nine
I can walk on air
I've earned the moment
I've got to be seen
I'm gonna go out
and live beyond the dream
:down: :shifty:
Mads Nielsen
If people say I'm crazy, I tell 'em that it's true

Pod

#19 Post by Pod »

Talking of strange feelings. I’ve more than a strange feeling that this is an imposter on the Wikipedia of Chris. Looks nothing like him! It seems Chris really does want to be a recluse!
Attachments
3E3B4849-7B77-4A00-8693-E6DA0420B35F.jpeg
3E3B4849-7B77-4A00-8693-E6DA0420B35F.jpeg (181.84 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

daveid

#20 Post by daveid »

I flogged Please, Actually and Introspective FLs the other day (but I'd bought the 2018 remasters so that's OK!)

Marie loves PSB

#21 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Pod wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018, 10:14 am Talking of strange feelings. I’ve more than a strange feeling that this is an imposter on the Wikipedia of Chris. Looks nothing like him! It seems Chris really does want to be a recluse!
I think Wikipedia needs enlightening! lol...

NotInvisible

#22 Post by NotInvisible »

York Minster wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018, 10:22 pmWinner is sickeningly earnest and gooey sweet.
I can't believe I'm about to defend Winner, but... it's not actually sickeningly earnest. There's a melancholy subtext in the lyrics that's really brought out in the Andrew Dawson extended mix. The narrator doesn't quite believe what's happening to him; he's a struggling loser, someone who fully expects a short-lived victory that will ultimately be taken away, someone who concedes that time is likely to "hurt" him.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the kind of song I want from Pet Shop Boys, but the sentiment is often mischaracterized by fans throw by the chorus.

redsock

#23 Post by redsock »

Pod wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018, 10:14 am Talking of strange feelings. I’ve more than a strange feeling that this is an imposter on the Wikipedia of Chris. Looks nothing like him! It seems Chris really does want to be a recluse!
No way! You want to know something really odd/bizarre? I know that guy in the picture, he's the husband of my brother in law's sister, and believe it or not his name actually is Chris Lowe! :lol:

https://hk.linkedin.com/in/chriswglowe

https://twitter.com/chriswglowe

I think either someone on the wiki has just googled his name and stuck any old pic on, or it's this guys mates having a laugh at his expense.

Pod

#24 Post by Pod »

redsock wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018, 4:29 pm
No way! You want to know something really odd/bizarre? I know that guy in the picture, he's the husband of my brother in law's sister, and believe it or not his name actually is Chris Lowe! :lol:

I think either someone on the wiki has just googled his name and stuck any old pic on, or it's this guys mates having a laugh at his expense.
Brilliant!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gabby

#25 Post by Gabby »

Pod wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018, 10:38 am

The irony is, if you cover up the top of his head, there's more than a passing resemblance...
Brilliant!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Propertius

#26 Post by Propertius »

I listened to Elysian on my commute to work last week, and I found myself liking “Winner” for the first time. What occurred to me is that the music is pretty good and it might have been a hit if some other band had sung it, or it would have been a better PSB song if Neil had written more characteristically sophisticated lyrics.

Keep in mind, “Winner” was a deliberate experiment in trying to write the kind of song PSB don’t normally do, a mid-tempo anthemic ballad. If it wasn’t fully successful that should be seen less as a sign of PSB’s fading powers than as I sign that they’re still creative enough to try something new.

The lyrics are particularly weak, and not just because they’re simple. Neil has done effective simple lyrics before. But Elysian as a whole isn’t lyrically weak: “Leaving” is beautiful on every level, “Requiem” is packed with allusions, “Your Ealy Stuff” and “Ego Music” are witty in different ways.

On the wider theme of this thread, though, I do know what the “cooling off” feels like. I find I don’t count down the days until the announcement of the next album, for example. But that’s me getting older, not the Boys becoming less good.

Propertius

#27 Post by Propertius »

I listened to Elysium on my commute to work last week, and I found myself liking “Winner” for the first time. What occurred to me is that the music is pretty good and it might have been a hit if some other band had sung it, or it would have been a better PSB song if Neil had written more characteristically sophisticated lyrics.

Keep in mind, “Winner” was a deliberate experiment in trying to write the kind of song PSB don’t normally do, a mid-tempo anthemic ballad. If it wasn’t fully successful that should be seen less as a sign of PSB’s fading powers than as a sign that they’re still creative enough to try something new.

The lyrics are particularly weak, and not just because they’re simple. Neil has done effective simple lyrics before. But Elysium as a whole isn’t lyrically weak: “Leaving” is beautiful on every level, “Requiem” is packed with allusions, “Your Ealy Stuff” and “Ego Music” are witty in different ways.

On the wider theme of this thread, though, I do know what the “cooling off” feels like. I find I don’t count down the days until the announcement of the next album, for example. But that’s me getting older, not the Boys becoming less good.

retrofuturist

#28 Post by retrofuturist »

When the quality of their output at the turn of the millennium, my "fandom" waned. With Disco 4 and the Pop Art singles, it sprung back into life. Fandom isn't a permanent static thing.

I wasn't a big fan of Super (for example) but the string of great and diverse albums before it, from Fundamental through to Electric, assure me that a great song or a great album will be forthcoming next time the boys hit the studio in earnest.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

ArtHist

#29 Post by ArtHist »

I dunno you guys, I think it's the real Chris alright. Here he is with Neil in that Cardi B interview that was mentioned in another thread ; )
Attachments
Cardi PSB.jpg
Cardi PSB.jpg (581.89 KiB) Viewed 3536 times

Pod

#30 Post by Pod »

:lol: