New EP in April: Agenda

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: New EP on April: Agenda

#151 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
glennjridge wrote: Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:04 pm its a perfectly functional protest song against what they believe Trump is like.
Emphasis on "what they believe Trump is like", which frankly, is an unimaginative disappointment, given the intellectual, emotive and insightful standard we've come to expect of Pet Shop Boys lyrics, up to and including The Pop Kids.

Something I've noticed about musicians generally is that when they get older, their "protest songs" become less insightful, intellectually lazy, more detached from the zeitgeist, and more naff and cringey. Take Donovan for example - his 60's material was innovative and inspirational, but by the late 70's, anything of a political nature was really lame and regrettable. In this instance, it's a shame to see a band I hold in such esteem fall into that trap. In a strange way, it also makes me appreciative that my favourite band, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine have called it a day, and that they haven't given themselves a chance to embarrass themselves.

Retro.
Last edited by retrofuturist on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

le petit corbusier

#152 Post by le petit corbusier »

On social media sounds great. It's like the '92 song they never had. Very nice. I'd describe it as a mix of Too many people and Undertow with hints of Was it worth it and If looks could kill (live radio version).

Last edited by le petit corbusier on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

le petit corbusier

#153 Post by le petit corbusier »

Lol the backing singers crack me up on On social media. This song is better than it seemed to me on first listen. I'll up the game and go for very very nice instead of very nice.

Last edited by le petit corbusier on Wed 06 Feb 2019, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Pod

#154 Post by Pod »

Just listened to ‘on social media’ - quite like it. Very catchy and pithy. Light years ahead of ‘stupidity’.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

NikacP0kac

#155 Post by NikacP0kac »

Now that's more like it - listening to it on Deezer.

If this EP gives us 1 okay (GSAC) and 1 very good (On Social Media seems like the one) song I'll be more than happy, as it'll be more than enough us by at least until the live album comes out.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Bulldog

#156 Post by Bulldog »

"On social media" reminds me of "Occupy your mind".

Zog

#157 Post by Zog »

A nice surprise, regardless of the pros and cons :)

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

canveyboy

#158 Post by canveyboy »

Well....just heard GSAC and.....I like it actually. Liked it from first listen and enjoyed it more on the 2nd listen. It’s quite melodic I think and a bit anthemic.

It’s also far better than any of the Super era B-sides. Actually it’s better than most of Super, haha!!

Looking forward to hearing On Social Media in the morning....well later in the morning I mean. Sleep beckons!!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

james23_uk

#159 Post by james23_uk »

On Social Media is much more like it. Thank God!
at rock bottom :wall:

MD

#160 Post by MD »

ArtHist wrote: Tue 05 Feb 2019, 10:48 am 'Agenda' is a great title and I don't mind the demo-ish sound to '...Stupidity' but the lyrics to that song are trite and adolescent as eff. If they were hoping to ignite intelligent debate about current events with this song then they've failed.
I think that it is obviously a reference to Donald Trump. And I couldn’t agree more.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

gareth

#161 Post by gareth »

I have never known satire to be discussed so seriously.

Job done, Neil.
Furious angels will bring you back to me

jrusher12

#162 Post by jrusher12 »

I've listened a few times before passing judgement. I'd file it in "quality b-side/bonus track or album filler". It's better than some, but not a lead single from album type track. And given it's not produced by SP, leads to me wonder why it's being released now. Other than promoting the Annually edition. And making a topical political point. I do like the production though. Less stomper, more considered, with great percussion, and some lovely swooping middle bits.

MikeyC

#163 Post by MikeyC »

I love it! It's fun (and funny!), yes anthemic and as a poster mentioned earlier, the middle 8 bits remind me of Se a Vida E. Looking forward to "On Social Media"!!

retrofuturist

#164 Post by retrofuturist »

Pompous elitist garbage. Anything better on the flipside...?
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

York Minster

#165 Post by York Minster »

So is this an "official" single? The official site just calls it the "first track".

Production wise, GSAC is precisely an Elysium b-side. Neil's melodic phrasing also reminds of that era, tracks like Hell for instance.

It all comes off as very slight and one-trick. It feels like a track Momus would record in about 10 minutes. There's a bit too much of "Winner" in it for me. I'm 100 percent for PSB satire, but it needs to be contrasted with menace (and massive production), like I'm With Stupid was. Uplifting is the wrong direction here.

Not enough Chris. Is this even the Pet Shop Boys or just a Neil one-off? It's not the most terrible thing possible, but I can't support it. We can only hope this is the Elysium to the upcoming Electric moment.

On Social Media is decent. But throw-away. If GSAC was an Elysium b-side, this is an Electric b-side that would fit right in with Get It Online. The house piano saves it. Really it could have been an Elysium b-side also. I think it's the new default sound for PSB without a controlling producer. They need a controlling producer more than ever. I'll say again the house piano is really the saving grace here. At least this is the Pet Shop Boys.

Listened to I'm With Stupid for the first time in ages. Sounds epic. Somehow 2006 sounds like "home", even to this 80's fanboy.

I expected nothing. I got not much. I don't expect much more. Surprise me. Or don't.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys