New EP in April: Agenda

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Danimal

Re: New EP on April: Agenda

#421 Post by Danimal »

Waited until Friday night and listened to the EP in one go. What a fun release! For me, there's a Beatles quality to it; it reminds me of something
they might release if they were still around. It's not miles from songs PSB have done in the past. I see why they chose to release this set of songs in this format. PSB are too main-stream to use four pointedly political songs on a single full-length album and these four tracks are stronger together than they would have been doled out individually as b-sides to singles. Definitely not their "A" material but classic PSB and a release squarely aimed at their fanbase rather than a general audience (although ironically it seems to be doing extremely well in the marketplace). It's idiosycratic releases like this I've always hoped to get from PSB. Also really enjoyed Electric, an album of mostly longform electronic dance tracks, the Undertow single with a classic 80s remix as the lead track and a rerecorded b-side, and the Inner Sanctum single that followed one track through it's entire evolution. I absolutely appreciate the effort they've been making on these types of fan-pleasing, thouroughly enjoyable releases.

MikeyC

#422 Post by MikeyC »

Quick apologies to the rest of the Forum for diverting the thread into a debate surrounding a rather U.S.-centric political issue!

Onward with the "Agenda" discussions!! :)

joe stalin

#423 Post by joe stalin »

Just like to change my ratings following further listening

GSAC 4 was 6
OSM 4 was 5
Wawgtdatr 4 was 5
TFC 7 was 5

I’ve cone to terms with the cut and shut production of TFC. It’s beautiful track and hence 7/10 is warranted. This track rains on half of Super. Very nice

SynthMan Wales

#424 Post by SynthMan Wales »

Agenda is Punk, isn't it?

An EP released by an independent label that has songs no longer than a couple of minutes, designed to provoke and express dissatisfaction with society.

It is the New Wave element in PSB's DNA in the ascendent.

SynthMan Wales

#425 Post by SynthMan Wales »

SynthMan Wales wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:12 am Agenda is Punk, isn't it?

An EP released by an independent label that has songs no longer than a couple of minutes, designed to provoke and express dissatisfaction with society.

It is the New Wave element in PSB's DNA in the ascendent.
Riffing indulgently on my own theme, my elevator pitch for PSB in 2019 would be "Imagine the Buzzcocks fronted by Noel Coward but produced by Bobby O".

Parkol

#426 Post by Parkol »

The Forgotten child i one of the best PSB songs for last 15 years.

romy

#427 Post by romy »

For an EP like this,and the surprise of the release,there are fantastic iTunes Charts positions.

UK 2 Germany 3 Sweden 2 .......

SynthMan Wales

#428 Post by SynthMan Wales »

romy wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:34 am For an EP like this,and the surprise of the release,there are fantastic iTunes Charts positions.

How will this translate into 'actual' charts?

I'm an old fart and not up-to-speed on what is and isn't counted these days.

If Agenda charts, will be it be on the album or singles chart?

If the latter, isn't it just singular tracks that are counted? If do, will the 'vote' for Agenda be diminished because it will be split four ways?

Future Lover

#429 Post by Future Lover »

Imagine being gay and right-wing. I have to laugh.

SynthMan Wales

#430 Post by SynthMan Wales »

Future Lover wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:39 am Imagine being gay and right-wing. I have to laugh.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos

SynthMan Wales

#431 Post by SynthMan Wales »

Do you think any Agenda tracks will be worked into the forthcoming Asian dates of the Super tour, or will that powder be kept dry until the next new production?

MikeyC

#432 Post by MikeyC »

SynthMan Wales wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:52 am Do you think any Agenda tracks will be worked into the forthcoming Asian dates of the Super tour, or will that powder be kept dry until the next new production?
Good question! I can definitely see them working "On Social Media" into the show! 8)

And whether or not it's that one, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tracks appears in the set-list.

Disco.

#433 Post by Disco. »

SynthMan Wales wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:39 am
romy wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:34 am For an EP like this,and the surprise of the release,there are fantastic iTunes Charts positions.

If the latter, isn't it just singular tracks that are counted? If do, will the 'vote' for Agenda be diminished because it will be split four ways?

It will count towards the singles chart, since it is less than 25 minutes and carries fewer than 5 tracks.
It will most likely not chart, since streaming is so large a factor in the singles chart, and since Pet Shop Boys are not Ariana Grande.

SynthMan Wales

#434 Post by SynthMan Wales »

Disco. wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 8:22 am
SynthMan Wales wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019, 7:39 am

It will count towards the singles chart, since it is less than 25 minutes and carries fewer than 5 tracks.
It will most likely not chart, since streaming is so large a factor in the singles chart, and since Pet Shop Boys are not Ariana Grande.
So we shouldn't get too excited about a mainstream PSB renaissance just yet then... :-(

alig

#435 Post by alig »

MikeyC wrote: Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:43 pm
alig wrote: Fri 08 Feb 2019, 6:45 pm
G_Goalden wrote: Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:23 am My thoughts are that it feels 50% Trump Family Separation Policy/Migrant border crossings and 50% Nic Roeg's Don't Look Now.

I guess we'll have to wait until Super Further Listening or Neil's next lyric book for the inspiration.
Yet another fake news peddler: It was all happening even before Obama because of a Supreme Court ruling that decreed that you cannot keep kids locked up with their parents for more than 21 days pending the asylum application. Also, the kids are taken to foster families or foster homes. Also, many child traffickers take children and use them to get into the USA. Also, 80% of all kids are sent across the border by their irresponsible parents. So how exactly is it Trump's fault? In any country, parents are separated from their kids whenever their parents pose a danger to their kids. Feeling stupid yet?

I hate to get into these political debates in a PSB forum, but your FAKE NEWS and extreme mischaracterizations cannot stand. NO LAW OR COURT RULING MANDATES FAMILY SEPARATIONS. Yes it's a general policy to not keep kids locked up with parents. But it's up to an Administration to decide how they will carry that out. The Trump Administration decided to prosecute as many migrants as possible. The Obama Administration prosecuted gang members and those with violent criminal backgrounds. (Trump issued an Executive Order which rolled back the Obama-era framework.)

Because of Trump's "Zero Tolerance" policy, an unprecedented number of families/individuals have been apprehended at the border and taken into custody. And part of the Zero Tolerance policy is separating the children -- something Trump's former Attorney General admitted was a scare tactic/preventative measure to warn other migrants against crossing the border.

And "the kids are taken to foster families or foster homes"?? Have you not looked at the news or newspaper or internet since last year? Thousands were put into cages -- literal chain link fenced in compartments. With structures built specifically for babies and toddlers -- many of whom have still not been reunited with parents and may never since the incompetent Trump Administration lost track of many of the parents -- again, parents who were not criminals but were detained and deported for merely seeking asylum in the U.S. which used to not be a crime.

Don't spread lies on this forum!!
Stop pushing more fake news. Are you as concerned about women murdering their own children in the womb? I guess, you prefer exploiting children to condemn Trump's border policies, feigning concern for the children, fake news pusher.
"John 3:16."