Chvrches concert

For 'Off Topic' and non-PSB music threads.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Synthrobot
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm
Contact:

Chvrches concert

#1 Post by Synthrobot »

Anyone else got tickets for this tour? I'm off to see them in Bournemouth on Tuesday. I can't believe this will actually be the first time I've seen them live.
I'm avoiding setlist spoilers, but I feel I know their songs well enough to be able to identify each and every one as they play.
Heaven/Hell should have a stonking Trance remix (just saying)!

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon 08 May 2006, 12:31 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Chvrches concert

#2 Post by retrofuturist »

What's their most recent album like?

Loved the first one, thought the next one was OK... but it was all starting to get a bit samey and a bit less inspired.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

User avatar
Synthrobot
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Chvrches concert

#3 Post by Synthrobot »

They worked with a new producer, but its pretty good.

User avatar
Synthrobot
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Chvrches concert

#4 Post by Synthrobot »

In case anyone was interested, I wrote a review for this gig. It's on Songkick, but copied and pasted her below:

https://www.songkick.com/artists/5933069-chvrches

Chvrches Live Tour - Bournemouth O2 Academy 12-2-19

I consider myself a Chvrches fan, so was very excited about this gig in advance. The concert was at The Bournemouth O2 Academy. The queues stretched for what seemed like miles, but they got us in quickly. A mix of age groups in attendance, but mostly younger people. Good to know synth-pop can still have a young following.

Firstly the support act, Let's Eat Grandma. I hadn't heard of them prior to the gig and from the name I thought they might be thrash metal, however I was very pleasantly surprised when three girls came onto the stage playing (dark) synth-pop. One on drums, and the other two played synths and sang. Also we were treated to glockenspiel, saxophone and recorder amongst others. After the gig I downloaded their album which is now playing in my car.

They played for about 45 minutes. The highlights for me were Whitewater, Hot Pink and Falling Into Me. Unfortunately I missed an opportunity to meet the band as I had a great place near the front and didn't want to lose the top spot watching Lauren Mayberry!

Now Chvrches entered the stage after a break. Lauren's high pitched squeak, endeared me to her even more as she introduced songs and pleased us with general chit chat.

They opened with Get Out, recent big chart hit, and infectious anthem. Straight into Bury It, which I am now used to with the Hayley Williams (Paramore) vocal, so I noticed when it was lacking. It didn't detract from the enjoyment one bit though.

Gun came next, a classic. Then (in my opinion) their best song, We Sink from the first album The Bones of What You Believe. So euphoric, that it has perked me up on many a bad day.

Another recent hit Graffiti came next, then Graves, a gem from the new album Love Is Dead, this could have been a single. After that I had hoped to hear Heaven/Hell, but unfortunately it was absent from the set list. Shame. They can't do them all I suppose!

Martin Doherty was up on main vocals for the next two songs. God's Plan and Under The Tide. I've always really liked his songs. Martin displayed a lot of energy and on his own was great, but get back behind that keyboard boy now, here she comes again.

Lauren came back with Miracle and then Science/Visions. As we reached the end, hand went up like we were all at a rave, in fitting with the edgy feel of this track.

Really Gone, Deliverance, Forever and Recover came next. Lauren announced the last two songs, Leave a Trace and Clearest Blue. It was so great to hear Clearest Blue live, so infectious and a defining song for everything Chvrches, a fun electro-stomper which namecheck the second album (Every Open Eye).

Of course there was an encore. Obviously they performed The Mother We Share, this was followed by the final song New Say Die. A great ending to a fantastic gig.

In general the sound was great, but occasionally the vocal dipped below and it was harder to hear Lauren. It was loud, but then I was right at the front.

The songs were pretty much in versions close to their released format, though the encore version of The Mother We Share started with some atmospheric pads before the "Oh ah oh oh ah ah" we all know and love.

I had hoped for a cover version, but actually their own songs are so great, it would have meant missing one out, so better that they didn't. I will be at the next UK tour 1000%!

9/10

Post Reply