The musical that just won't die ;)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
onzio

Re: The musical that just won't die ;)

#31 Post by onzio »

Neil is kinda obsessed with Trump, isn't he? I don't think this obsession could be healthy for his creative process.
Agenda was a very firm political statement, both if you agree or not with his political view, but I hope we'll get some different issues on the new album: is getting a little bit boring now.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

jasonjohn

#32 Post by jasonjohn »

One song does not an obsession make.

Future Lover

#33 Post by Future Lover »

God bless the "Add foe" option

lucienchardon

#34 Post by lucienchardon »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 09 Jul 2019, 6:49 am
Another Grauniad-esque political song with misguided elitism, combined with more from the sultry world of Billie Trix...

Your mileage may vary, but 2019 isn't looking like one of my favourite PSB years.
Funnily enough this post reads like it was written by an elite PSB fan!

onzio

#35 Post by onzio »

jasonjohn wrote:
Tue 09 Jul 2019, 12:46 pm
One song does not an obsession make.
It's not one song: it is the whole agenda EP, this new song Dreamland and in an interview/tour programme/commentary, I don't remember exactly, he eventually turned the subject of The Dictator Decides from Kim to Donald. Consider also that we are talking of a period of a few months: that to me sounds like "kinda obsessed".

Update: found it! The source was the book One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

jasonjohn

#36 Post by jasonjohn »

Dictator is clearly about Kim. If Donald fits the dictator mold, then it says something.

We haven't even heard Dreamland.

Nobody complained about the two (far more considerable) tracks about Tony Blair. One was a proper first single of an actual album, and the other closed an actual album.

leesmapman

#37 Post by leesmapman »

jasonjohn wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2019, 1:00 pm
Nobody complained about the two (far more considerable) tracks about Tony Blair. One was a proper first single of an actual album.
Two, actually. I Get Along and I'm With Stupid.

ZiggyPSB

#38 Post by ZiggyPSB »

I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Patrick Bateman

#39 Post by Patrick Bateman »

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm
http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/lists/russian.htm

No one calls this an obsession.
Well, I think some fans would do. Zeus on the Loose, formerly of this parish, would certainly think it was a rather dull obsession, for instance. but at least his interest in Russian history spans their entire career and we fans expect the odd lyric about Catherine the Great or Victorin5.

His interest / obsession with Trump is pretty uninteresting, as it's precisely the same interest / obsession as every other right-on liberal like Neil has - he's boorish, he's ridiculous, people who voted for him must be so stupid, etc. This is Neil the Liberal Democrat who is vehemently anti-Brexit. Hmm, who let the Tories get back to power in 2010 and are therefore semi-culpable for Brexit? Oh yes, the Liberal Democrats. :wall:

daveid

#40 Post by daveid »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2019, 4:53 pm
ZiggyPSB wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm
http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/lists/russian.htm

No one calls this an obsession.
Well, I think some fans would do. Zeus on the Loose, formerly of this parish, would certainly think it was a rather dull obsession, for instance. but at least his interest in Russian history spans their entire career and we fans expect the odd lyric about Catherine the Great or Victorin5.

His interest / obsession with Trump is pretty uninteresting, as it's precisely the same interest / obsession as every other right-on liberal like Neil has - he's boorish, he's ridiculous, people who voted for him must be so stupid, etc. This is Neil the Liberal Democrat who is vehemently anti-Brexit. Hmm, who let the Tories get back to power in 2010 and are therefore semi-culpable for Brexit? Oh yes, the Liberal Democrats. :wall:
I also voted Lib Dem in 2010. That doesn't mean I voted for the coalition nor does it make me semi-culpable for Brexit. Brexit is the monster created by the Tories' 25 year ideological civil war over Europe.

However I would prefer Neil to keep his trap shut on things like this now. It's getting boring.

Bulldog

#41 Post by Bulldog »

How many songs do PSB write a year? Is every single draft in Neil's computer a rant about Donald Trump? Has writing songs about Margaret Thatcher ruined his health? Is Dreamland really rubbish or is it a grower? Why does Neil like Russia? Holy mackerel, between Nickname's abstracts and Brexit babble invading every single thread this place is getting really silly.

leesmapman

#42 Post by leesmapman »

Bulldog wrote:
Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:38 am
Holy mackerel, between Nickname's abstracts and Brexit babble invading every single thread this place is getting really silly.
You forgot Scienceguy :-D

Anyway. I gave the cast recording CD a spin last week. It still has some great songs on it.

jasonjohn

#43 Post by jasonjohn »

leesmapman wrote:
Thu 11 Jul 2019, 12:26 pm
Anyway. I gave the cast recording CD a spin last week. It still has some great songs on it.
Yeah I agree, it's a very vibrant collection of tracks. Lots of good characters and ideas.

It works best listening after a gap though... a bit like as if you were going to the theatre for the first time. As there is a rough and ready feel to it that doesn't hold up on repeat, BUT that's perfectly fine for a musical.

leesmapman

#44 Post by leesmapman »

I just read this review:
https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2019 ... ag-london/

It mentions the songs are great and so are the preformances, but the biggest problem with the musical is the book.

jasonjohn

#45 Post by jasonjohn »

Don't get why people think they can tell Neil or Chris were to spend their artistic time.

There's massive things going on in the world. Massive. And it's hugely interesting. The fact that there are very few songs coming out of it is a reflection of how lulled and siloed the world has become.

I don't think it's Neil's obsession at all. It's more other people wanting to control PSB artistic output and view on the world. Other people wanting to shut out the world and deny it. But N&C can do what they fecking want.

If you want a safer obsession - why not buy the latest Taylor Swift and learn about her umpteenth ex-boyfriend.
Last edited by jasonjohn on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.