Heaven 1991: Was it worth it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Kris

Re: Heaven 1991: Was it worth it?

#31 Post by Kris »

Taken in isolation Was it worth it? is pretty average at best but somehow I think it works at as a final track because of its theme.

I think it also depends on how you listen to music as a whole. Is it just a couple of tracks at a time, on shuffle, a playlist maybe? If I listen to PSB it's nearly always as a whole album.

Another example is Axis; if I'm listening to the whole of Electric it's a great opener but in isolation it is, IMO, basically chart countdown music.

One final example is Legacy, which is probably my least favourite PSB song ever; I wouldn't go as far as saying it ruins Yes but it is a horrible choice as the last track and just doesn't fit at all. Would I hate it quite as much if it was on a different album? Well probably but maybe sometimes certain tracks need a context in terms of how you rate them.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Remark

#32 Post by Remark »

stevebr20012 wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019, 7:44 pm The Was it worth it dub mix is fantastic - complete with sample from Enjoy the silence!
It's actually the "breathing" sample from Personal Jesus. I remember Neil denying this was the case (much like he believes there isn't a 9 minute mix of This Must Be the Place I Waited Years to Leave), but yep, it sure is that sample. Kudos to the Creative Thieves (Dave Seaman and Steve Anderson) for making such an epic dub!

Dog

#33 Post by Dog »

Remark wrote:
stevebr20012 wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019, 7:44 pm The Was it worth it dub mix is fantastic - complete with sample from Enjoy the silence!
It's actually the "breathing" sample from Personal Jesus. I remember Neil denying this was the case (much like he believes there isn't a 9 minute mix of This Must Be the Place I Waited Years to Leave), but yep, it sure is that sample. Kudos to the Creative Thieves (Dave Seaman and Steve Anderson) for making such an epic dub!
Has this actually been confirmed somewhere then? Given it’s a remix it’s highly likely Neil wouldn’t actually know.
Woof.

Remark

#34 Post by Remark »

Dog wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019, 1:39 pm
Remark wrote:
Has this actually been confirmed somewhere then? Given it’s a remix it’s highly likely Neil wouldn’t actually know.
I do remember it being somewhere...in a Q&A or some now retired Forum where he responded. I distinctly recall it because it was years go (much closer to the release date of Was It Worth It?) and thinking to myself, "Surely Neil must know the Depeche Mode sample used on that dub?" :?

Flaffer

#35 Post by Flaffer »

Is it a sample of a sample though?
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

jasonjohn

#36 Post by jasonjohn »

It's nice, but I couldn't ever hear the connection to the original track. Practically a new instrumental.

Marie loves PSB

#37 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Pod wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019, 11:40 pm By the way, Moby’s electro mix of miserablism is sublime - one of my favourite psb remixes.
I agree with this - I love this version! :up: :clap:

ype

#38 Post by ype »

At the time I was puzzled and disappointed with the dub because it bears no resemblance to the original song. I still don't know if it has anything to do with the 7" tbh, but I've grown to really really love it.
Yesterday I played the 12"-single. The extended mix is on side 1 and the dub mix and Moby's mix of Miserablism are on side 2. It makes for a really good listen.

domino

#39 Post by domino »

ype wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 12:46 pm At the time I was puzzled and disappointed with the dub because it bears no resemblance to the original song. I still don't know if it has anything to do with the 7" tbh, but I've grown to really really love it.
Some parts of the bass and drums are in there. The string/choir-melody (starting with the DM-sample) is a slower version of the high string in the chorus of the 7". It goes a bit higher in the key and plays full notes.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

G_Goalden

#40 Post by G_Goalden »

I feel as though I waited all my PSB life to ask this question.

What exactly is the definition of a ‘dub’ mix? I have always thought it was a modern (80’s) way of saying ‘instrumental’ and as a rule I’ve tried to avoid them.

Personally I prefer it when the track “has a vocal”.

Perhaps people could recommend great ‘dub’ mixes that will change my mind???🤞

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

canveyboy

#41 Post by canveyboy »

G_Goalden wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 5:12 pm I feel as though I waited all my PSB life to ask this question.

What exactly is the definition of a ‘dub’ mix? I have always thought it was a modern (80’s) way of saying ‘instrumental’ and as a rule I’ve tried to avoid them.

G.
Listen to Yes, Pet Shop Boys etc (I prefer this album to the original Yes album!)

All of those tracks are classic examples of a ‘dub’ mix. A dub mix is not an instrumental. Not entirely anyway. As I have always understood it, dub mixes are versions of songs that are very close to the originals but are mostly instrumental but with some vocals left in - usually one verse and chorus or just a verse, or even just the odd line here in there. Hope that makes sense!

Also check out the original dub mixes of:-

West end girls
Love comes quickly
Dub for money
Rent
So hard
Its taken me all of my life to find you

domino

#42 Post by domino »

canveyboy wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 11:00 pm
G_Goalden wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 5:12 pm I feel as though I waited all my PSB life to ask this question.

G.
Listen to Yes, Pet Shop Boys etc (I prefer this album to the original Yes album!)

All of those tracks are classic examples of a ‘dub’ mix. A dub mix is not an instrumental. Not entirely anyway. As I have always understood it, dub mixes are versions of songs that are very close to the originals but are mostly instrumental but with some vocals left in - usually one verse and chorus or just a verse, or even just the odd line here in there. Hope that makes sense!

West end girls
Love comes quickly
Dub for money
Rent
So hard
I always understood dub as an 'alternative mix' to the original track where some bars stand for themeselves to have more power. There are often the drums being emphasized and you could also build a new version of the song around the drums (like in Was it worth it?).
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

le petit corbusier

#43 Post by le petit corbusier »

G_Goalden wrote:I feel as though I waited all my PSB life to ask this question.

Perhaps people could recommend great ‘dub’ mixes that will change my mind???Image

G.
http://www.petshopboys.co.uk/index.php? ... p-boys-etc
Look left, then right
And run for your life

onzio

#44 Post by onzio »

G_Goalden wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 5:12 pm Perhaps people could recommend great ‘dub’ mixes that will change my mind???
🤞
G.

West end girls
Love comes quickly
Dub for money
Rent
So hard
The Love Comes Quickly one is ace! Pure magic!
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

G_Goalden

#45 Post by G_Goalden »

domino wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019, 7:23 am

G.

West end girls
Love comes quickly
Dub for money
Rent
So hard
I always understood dub as an 'alternative mix' to the original track where some bars stand for themeselves to have more power. There are often the drums being emphasized and you could also build a new version of the song around the drums (like in Was it worth it?).
Cheers all - I'll dig 'etc' out. I'm sure it has had a couple of listened. I don't normally get past the Phil Oakley Future song though.

The scene in my house tonight:

Wife: Why are you going into the loft?

Me: Because a few people have suggested I listen to the dub version of the Pet Shop Boys' 'Yes' album

Wife: "Deep Sigh"

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023