Heaven 1991: Was it worth it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
alig

Re: Heaven 1991: Was it worth it?

#46 Post by alig »

ArtHist wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019, 6:37 am
alig wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019, 5:24 am GEORGE MICHAEL AND ELTON JOHN- DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN ON ME

Yea, cause it would hurt.
Round our way it was rephrased as 'don't let your son go down on me'. This was aimed more at Elton though quite prescient considering George's later outing. Cause we didn't know before then. :wink:
:mrgreen:
"John 3:16."

canveyboy

#47 Post by canveyboy »

G_Goalden wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019, 2:23 pm
domino wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019, 7:23 am
canveyboy wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 11:00 pm

Listen to Yes, Pet Shop Boys etc (I prefer this album to the original Yes album!)

All of those tracks are classic examples of a ‘dub’ mix. A dub mix is not an instrumental. Not entirely anyway. As I have always understood it, dub mixes are versions of songs that are very close to the originals but are mostly instrumental but with some vocals left in - usually one verse and chorus or just a verse, or even just the odd line here in there. Hope that makes sense!

Also check out the original dub mixes of:-

West end girls
Love comes quickly
Dub for money
Rent
So hard
I always understood dub as an 'alternative mix' to the original track where some bars stand for themeselves to have more power. There are often the drums being emphasized and you could also build a new version of the song around the drums (like in Was it worth it?).
Cheers all - I'll dig 'etc' out. I'm sure it has had a couple of listened. I don't normally get past the Phil Oakley Future song though.

The scene in my house tonight:

Wife: Why are you going into the loft?

Me: Because a few people have suggested I listen to the dub version of the Pet Shop Boys' 'Yes' album

Wife: "Deep Sigh"

G.
Haha!!! Hope your wife enjoys listening to it as much as you, lol. One question though - why is the CD in the loft? That’s a bit of an ordeal every time you want to play an album isn’t it? Haha
Its taken me all of my life to find you

G_Goalden

#48 Post by G_Goalden »

canveyboy wrote: Fri 25 Oct 2019, 9:18 am
domino wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019, 7:23 am

I always understood dub as an 'alternative mix' to the original track where some bars stand for themeselves to have more power. There are often the drums being emphasized and you could also build a new version of the song around the drums (like in Was it worth it?).
Cheers all - I'll dig 'etc' out. I'm sure it has had a couple of listened. I don't normally get past the Phil Oakley Future song though.

Me: Because a few people have suggested I listen to the dub version of the Pet Shop Boys' 'Yes' album

G.
Haha!!! Hope your wife enjoys listening to it as much as you, lol. One question though - why is the CD in the loft? That’s a bit of an ordeal every time you want to play an album isn’t it? Haha
I sold my soul to Apple Music and Sonos so the house is pretty much CD free (except for a secret draw where I keep the FL CDs, Electric and Super!) I didn't actually get up there last night - I'm saving it for the weekend.

Last week I went through my old vinyl and discovered I own two copies of Introspective (including a 3LP version that I forgot I owned] which means I own 4 versions of that album.

Whats the highest number of the same album that other people own?
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

goughsjd

#49 Post by goughsjd »

G_Goalden wrote: Fri 25 Oct 2019, 1:15 pm
canveyboy wrote: Fri 25 Oct 2019, 9:18 am

G.
I sold my soul to Apple Music and Sonos so the house is pretty much CD free (except for a secret draw where I keep the FL CDs, Electric and Super!) I didn't actually get up there last night - I'm saving it for the weekend.

Last week I went through my old vinyl and discovered I own two copies of Introspective (including a 3LP version that I forgot I owned] which means I own 4 versions of that album.

Whats the highest number of the same album that other people own?
I think I have about 12 of Release without including the FL.....
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

mole973102

#50 Post by mole973102 »

Drico One wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019, 9:44 am Was it worth it? was, I think, their first attempt at busting out of the closet. It’s very I am what I am. It’s a little lightweight, but has moments of genius - the call and response, the middle eight, the fake finish - but it suffered mainly because anyone who really wanted it already had it on Discography.

Every post-album single since Suburbia had been remixed in some way, but this was released as was. It wasn’t “new” in any meaningful way. This, along with a sense that their time was up (which greatest hits records almost always engendered back then) was possibly the difference between going top 20 and not.

The video was their gayest statement yet. That probably upset the usual suspects. The sleeve was lovely, though, and Miserablism was an appropriately intimate final vignette with which to close the troubled and thought-provoking Behaviour era.

Drico.
    I've always quite liked Was It Worth It? I interpret it differently; not sex specific.

Where the computers crashed (for a treat) and Was it worth it?? first two verses were reversed. This bootleg was CD and Vinyl.
    You gotta have fun!

mole973102

#51 Post by mole973102 »

Drico One wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019, 9:44 am Was it worth it? was, I think, their first attempt at busting out of the closet. It’s very I am what I am. It’s a little lightweight, but has moments of genius - the call and response, the middle eight, the fake finish - but it suffered mainly because anyone who really wanted it already had it on Discography.

Every post-album single since Suburbia had been remixed in some way, but this was released as was. It wasn’t “new” in any meaningful way. This, along with a sense that their time was up (which greatest hits records almost always engendered back then) was possibly the difference between going top 20 and not.

The video was their gayest statement yet. That probably upset the usual suspects. The sleeve was lovely, though, and Miserablism was an appropriately intimate final vignette with which to close the troubled and thought-provoking Behaviour era.

Drico.
    I've always quite liked Was It Worth It? I interpret it differently; not sex specific.

Where the computers crashed (for a treat) and Was it worth it? first two verses were reversed. This bootleg was CD and Vinyl.
    You gotta have fun!

PoppyAOK

#52 Post by PoppyAOK »

Damn! I was only 2 when that took place. Just tells us how their music is timeless.

G_Goalden

#53 Post by G_Goalden »

Finally got around to digging out the ‘etc.’ dub mixes and I have to say I really enjoyed them.

Kind of like a pop version of an Underworld track.

Can anyone recommend any other dub mixes from the PSB catalogue?

G.
    Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

Dog

#54 Post by Dog »

G_Goalden wrote: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 8:55 am Can anyone recommend any other dub mixes from the PSB catalogue?
    Some of my favourites:

I'm Not Scared (Dub Version)
    Before (Danny Tenaglia's Twilo Dub)
    Love Is A Bourgeois Construct (Dave Aude Big Dirty Dub)
    Opportunities (Dub For Money)
    Rent (Dub)
    West End Girls (Grum Dub Mix)
    Try It (12" Almighty Dub)
    She's Madonna (Kris Menace Dub)
    Heart (Dub Mix)
    Woof.

G_Goalden

#55 Post by G_Goalden »

Thats Saturday afternoon sorted - cheers!

CroMagnon

#56 Post by CroMagnon »

‘Was it worth it?’ was the first taste of the forthcoming Very sound and songwriting style. It would fit right alongside the likes of ‘A different point of view’ and ‘One in a million’.
    Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

RichBeard

#57 Post by RichBeard »

Love this track.. such a classic..