Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#286 Post by Patrick Bateman »

nickname wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 6:12 pm
it's obvious PSB has been much better with their anthemic and uptempo songs than the downtempo ones. You can say Love comes quickly, Rent or BB are amazing tracks but they are not, these ones are tracks with good lyrics but the sound of it is not specially appealing.
You're right, I'm convinced. If only they could release a 266 bpm stomper, they'll have that elusive fifth number one!

Nickname

#287 Post by Nickname »

Tenlow wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 6:47 pm
nickname wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 6:12 pm

For example, it's obvious PSB has been much better with their anthemic and uptempo songs than the downtempo ones. You can say Love comes quickly, Rent or BB are amazing tracks but they are not, these ones are tracks with good lyrics but the sound of it is not specially appealing. After the big success of West End Girls, a song like Love Comes Quickly has everything on its favour to be a hit but it wasn't because of that. The same for Rent (a Number 8 between 3 Number 1 and one Number 2). Similar chart results in different countries are because of something.

I miss the musical atmosphere of Suburbia, the intensity of It's a Sin, the orchestral arregments of Let to my own Devices, the ambitious production of Go West and the Imperial feeling of Integral. When they went for it, they were succesful. You know it pretty well.

You say „Love comes quickly“, „Rent“ or „Being Boring“ are „not amazing“ and that the sound of these songs is not „specially appealing“. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read here. My god really. All of these songs are probably vastly „better“ songs than, say, „Go West“, „New York City Boy“ and many many other of the „uptempo“ tracks of theirs. But as long as they don‘t chart as high, they are automatically worse to you. Which is just stupid, sorry. There are many horrible songs around these days which still are very popular and successful - but that absolutely doesn‘t mean that they are „good“ songs.
Let's talk about Go West. You know this song is a cover version of Pachebel's canon. Since Jean François Pallard created its own version of the song, it was a hit. The song became very famous. When Village's People created its version, it was a hit again. When PSB created its version it was a hit again. Are you not going to recognaize how important is a song when this one is a hit in 3 very different versions and it's played at the same time in a gay parade and a football stadium?. Do you see the way people react when this song is played on tour by PSB?. I remember playing Very to some members of my family at that time and nobody liked the album except when Go West started. Just the same for friends.

Something similar we can say about Always on my Mind, according to BBC audience, the best cover of music history. It was a hit for Elvis and for PSB too.

You can say the lyrics are better but the melody and music sound are not. Even the effort to create all this music (arrangements, production, etc) is not comparable.

Tenlow

#288 Post by Tenlow »

See? You just don't get the point :)

Go West is a great commercial single that was very successful.

That doesn't mean that it is or has to be a ''better'' song than say Being Boring.

Gangnam Style was probably more successful than any PSB song ever - it's not a better song than any PSB song though, far from it, actually.

Get it? Great :)
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Nickname

#289 Post by Nickname »

G_Goalden wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 7:11 pm
At the risk of this becoming a pile on, PSB are not going to have another ‘imperial’ hit single.

You only need to look at the charts and have a basic knowledge of promo to understand that it won’t happen. At the end of the day they are 60+ year old blokes making pop music.
Of course, it's going to be really difficult. That's for sure. It's not impossible but it's very unexpected.

But if there is a possibility for that, I think it will be with the anthemic songs they gave succes in the Imperial Phrase. Of course, they'll probably need a budget they don't have these days.

Anyway, Monkey Business is a GOOD single. One of their best in a long time.

Nickname

#290 Post by Nickname »

Tenlow wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm

Gangnam Style was probably more successful than any PSB song ever - it's not a better song than any PSB song though, far from it, actually.
Gangnam Style has an amazing video, that's why it's so popular but on Youtube.

Tenlow

#291 Post by Tenlow »

nickname wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:25 pm
Tenlow wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm

Gangnam Style has an amazing video, that's why it's so popular but on Youtube.
That is, again, not the point, though.

We're talking about songs here, not the video. Home and dry with the video of Gangnam Style, wouldn't have had the success of the latter, would it?
Last edited by Tenlow on Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tenlow

#292 Post by Tenlow »

Double post

Patrick Bateman

#293 Post by Patrick Bateman »

nickname wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:16 pm
Let's talk about Go West. You know this song is a cover version of Pachebel's canon. Since Jean François Pallard created its own version of the song, it was a hit. The song became very famous. When Village's People created its version, it was a hit again. When PSB created its version it was a hit again. Are you not going to recognaize how important is a song when this one is a hit in 3 very different versions and it's played at the same time in a gay parade and a football stadium?. Do you see the way people react when this song is played on tour by PSB?. I remember playing Very to some members of my family at that time and nobody liked the album except when Go West started. Just the same for friends.
Go West only got to number 15 in the UK and number 45 in the US. And their version didn't have Pachelbel's Canon on it - that was PSB's innovation. So it's not actually just about the song because PSB's version reimagines and relocates the Village People's version in a completely original way.
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick Bateman

#294 Post by Patrick Bateman »

nickname wrote:
Something similar we can say about Always on my Mind, according to BBC audience, the best cover of music history. It was a hit for Elvis and for PSB too.
Hang on. Elvis' and Willie Nelson's versions are slower and more contemplative. Are you telling me that these were hits too? :shock: But I thought that only bangers were hits. :?

Nickname

#295 Post by Nickname »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:58 pm
nickname wrote:
Hang on. Elvis' and Willie Nelson's versions are slower and more contemplative. Are you telling me that these were hits too? :shock: But I thought that only bangers were hits. :?
But this song wasn't created by PSB.

Patrick Bateman

#296 Post by Patrick Bateman »

nickname wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm
But this song wasn't created by PSB.
Ah, so it's only self-penned songs that are over 200 bpm that can be hits?

Tenlow

#297 Post by Tenlow »

Neil, if you read this (and want another megahit), listen to me:

Record It's a sin (2020 version), speed it up to at least 200bpm, copy the Gangnam Style video and it will be a global smash hit, especially amongst the young people. This will set the streaming charts on fire. And don't forget to make it as anthemic as possible. You're welcome.

Nicholas

#298 Post by Nicholas »

Anyway yes Hotspot is really great. 👍🏻

Ghost within this house

#299 Post by Ghost within this house »

Just wish it would leak, goddamit!
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Nickname