Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of rele

#256 Post by leesmapman »

Spittingcat wrote:They worked hard for this one, and the timing of the release suggests they really were aiming for #1.

It’s a tall ask with today’s rules and an, er, aging fan base.
It's not as easy as it was and not as difficult as it could be.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

le petit corbusier

Re: Is there any possibility for a Number 1 album? Look at the list of releases

#257 Post by le petit corbusier »

Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

retrofuturist

#258 Post by retrofuturist »

A trilogy of #3's. Perfect!

To have known this was coming post-Parlophone would have been cause for celebration!

What a day to celebrate!

RMC

#259 Post by RMC »

Any record company would snatch em up with the record sales and media interest generated in the last 2 weeks. But no, independent all the way and all the better for it, I think they are top of the game and the arena tour sell out proves it. Well done and much deserved.

Sebastian_Surfleet

#260 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

People should not fret. #3 is very, very good.

Moreover, I highly doubt J Hus will be charting at all in 35 years.

Kiran

#261 Post by Kiran »

I wonder how much difference their promotion efforts have really made? They have a fan base who are going to buy the album without all the promotion. I suspect that the promotion created minimal sales and that have not changed the chart position.
I rule. You don't.

Tenlow

#262 Post by Tenlow »

RMC wrote:
Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:43 pm
Any record company would snatch em up with the record sales and media interest generated in the last 2 weeks.
I don't think so, honestly. They were "dropped" by Parlophone for a reason. They always sold "a lot" of records in the first week. A record company, however, is interested in selling records for more than one week. PSB will probably sell 3k albums next week or so, that's it. I doubt that any (major) record company would snatch them up because of it :)
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Tenlow

#263 Post by Tenlow »

Kiran wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 11:09 am
I wonder how much difference their promotion efforts have really made? They have a fan base who are going to buy the album without all the promotion. I suspect that the promotion created minimal sales and that have not changed the chart position.
Spot on. Looking at the album sales from Elysium onwards it really doesn't make much difference, if at all, you're right there.

They would have likely sold 10k albums anyway even without any promotion and still charted in the top 10.

MrTennant

#264 Post by MrTennant »

The sales are being really low almost everywhere, even for PSB.

MrTennant

#265 Post by MrTennant »

There is a good article in Spanish about the album results in UK of Hotspot, saying everything about the sales of the first week and talking about how "Bad" from Michael Jackson, "Rattle and Hum" from U2 "The Rhythm of the Saints" from Paul Simon let them in a second position with Actually, Introspective and Behaviour respectly.

Jenesaispop is a well known web site of pop music in Spain and very Pet Shop Boys friendly. You notice they really wanted better chart results for PSB.

https://jenesaispop.com/2020/02/01/3828 ... -numero-1/

Dog

#266 Post by Dog »

Tenlow wrote:
RMC wrote:
Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:43 pm
Any record company would snatch em up with the record sales and media interest generated in the last 2 weeks.
I don't think so, honestly. They were "dropped" by Parlophone for a reason. They always sold "a lot" of records in the first week. A record company, however, is interested in selling records for more than one week. PSB will probably sell 3k albums next week or so, that's it. I doubt that any (major) record company would snatch them up because of it :)
They weren’t dropped by Parlophone.
Woof.

Dog

#267 Post by Dog »

Tenlow wrote:
Kiran wrote:
Spot on. Looking at the album sales from Elysium onwards it really doesn't make much difference, if at all, you're right there.

They would have likely sold 10k albums anyway even without any promotion and still charted in the top 10.
How could you possibly know what any of these albums would have sold without any promotion? Very hard to deduce that the signed prints, radio and magazine interviews, TV appearances and Monkey business video made no difference at all. You are wildly speculating. If they’d done no promotion this forum would have been buzzing with negativity. They’ve done an excellent job and the sales and chart position reflect this.
Woof.

Kiran

#268 Post by Kiran »

Dog wrote:
Tenlow wrote:
Kiran wrote:

How could you possibly know what any of these albums would have sold without any promotion? Very hard to deduce that the signed prints, radio and magazine interviews, TV appearances and Monkey business video made no difference at all. You are wildly speculating. If they’d done no promotion this forum would have been buzzing with negativity. They’ve done an excellent job and the sales and chart position reflect this.
Yes speculation, but I'm speculating that they are not getting much interest from non PSBs fans. PSBs are not a young group, you either like them or you don't. If you are in the don't category, no matter how many TV appearances or 5 star reviews they get, you aren't going to buy their records.
I rule. You don't.

leesmapman

#269 Post by leesmapman »

Tenlow wrote:
Parlophone wanted to release Electric though.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Tenlow

#270 Post by Tenlow »

Kiran wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 1:21 pm
Dog wrote:
Tenlow wrote:

Yes speculation, but I'm speculating that they are not getting much interest from non PSBs fans. PSBs are not a young group, you either like them or you don't. If you are in the don't category, no matter how many TV appearances or 5 star reviews they get, you aren't going to buy their records.
It's not so much speculation though when the last 4 studio albums have (more or less) sold the same amount of records in the "long" run. Their fanbase in the UK buys the records and a small amount of "casual" fans. You can see the numbers yourself over the last 10 years. Of course they still need promotion in order to create media buzz, reviews, interviews, performances and what not. They even did an excellent job again this time around. But ultimately the results are suspiciously similar ;)