Agenda instead of Hotspot

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

jasonjohn

Re: Agenda instead of Hotspot

#17 Post by jasonjohn »

Hmm, we already have a "Can you make Hotspot better?" thread

Agenda is great but it's mostly satire and probably belongs in a musical. If they were to do another Fundy, it'd probably be with more nuance.

(PS: if Stupidity is patronising as commentary about the current batch of words leaders, then sure this EP ain't for you. Go back to dreaming of the Imperial Phase :)

G_Goalden

#18 Post by G_Goalden »

I’m off to paint a red nose on the Mona Lisa if anyone wants to join me. I think it will improve it.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

goughsjd

#19 Post by goughsjd »

G_Goalden wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 11:11 am I’m off to paint a red nose on the Mona Lisa if anyone wants to join me. I think it will improve it.
😂 😂 😂 😂

What a load of old granny fart
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

TeCHno PoP

#20 Post by TeCHno PoP »

Thank god that the Agenda tracks released separately, because they are so bad and weak. When I heard Agenda I feared that the new album will be as bad as Agenda, but thankfully, Hotspot is a perfect album.
    The only good track on Agenda is Social media, but it's much more like a b-side.

PETHEAD72

#21 Post by PETHEAD72 »

G_Goalden wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 11:11 am I’m off to paint a red nose on the Mona Lisa if anyone wants to join me. I think it will improve it.
    😂😂😂
    You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

goughsjd

#22 Post by goughsjd »

TeCHno PoP wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm Thank god that the Agenda tracks released separately, because they are so bad and weak. When I heard Agenda I feared that the new album will be as bad as Agenda, but thankfully, Hotspot is a perfect album.
    The only good track on Agenda is Social media, but it's much more like a b-side.
    Forgotten child is brill
      Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

MD

#23 Post by MD »

TeCHno PoP wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm Thank god that the Agenda tracks released separately, because they are so bad and weak. When I heard Agenda I feared that the new album will be as bad as Agenda, but thankfully, Hotspot is a perfect album.
      agenda and hotspot are both great.
      "Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

PSBForTheMasses

#24 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

I would just move On Social Media and Forgotten Child to Hotspot instead of Wedding in Berlin and include Decide as the 12th song and Hotspot would be on par with Actually.

MD

#25 Post by MD »

jules wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020, 7:30 am Both are great. Agenda is a mini yes.
      Agreed, I like agenda as well with the exception of The Forgotten Child. However, the boys were right to release these tracks separately from Hotspot. Their political nature prevents some people from enjoying them and you wouldn’t want that on a main Studio album.

I’m not one of those people who let my politics prevent me from enjoying a good piece of music. If it’s got a good beat and the lyrics are clever and Neil is singing then it’s ace in my book no matter what the political message might be.
      "Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

glennjridge

#26 Post by glennjridge »

Even though it was like 4 albums back, I was thinking what an impact working with Xenomania had on them in regards to this whole open with the chorus dynamic. they really are sticking with it. it was almost non existent before working with them but after, a nice amount of tracks open with the chorus. I like it!

vincenzosz

#27 Post by vincenzosz »

I think it’s clear from reading this forum that we all have varying taste even within our shared love of PSB.
      The “how can you make hotspot better?” Thread shows this.

I find that every era produces good tracks. Some eras I enjoy more than others, but often my favourite songs are a mix of album tracks and b-sides - going back to their first album.
      I think we need to accept that it’s the prerogative of the artist to express their art as they wish. It’s subjective. Some will like it, some won’t. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not good.

I think Love is a borgious construct is SO annoying. And some say it’s (gasp) their best. In fact I think that each Stuart Price album gets better and better. With Hotspot being my favourite. But to each his own.

On my iTunes I have restructured every Pet Shop Boys album to remove tracks I don’t care for and insert the b-sides I prefer, making an album that’s perfect for my personal listening experience. But I’m not delusional enough to think that how they should of made it.

So to me it’s not really anything inherently wrong with how Neil and Chris structure an album because we all have very different ideas of what we want and don’t want and you can’t please everybody. If the album was meant to be set up differently it would be.

retrofuturist

#28 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Nonsense. Agenda is weak, with two (i.e. half) of the songs being virtually unlistenable, whereas Hotspot is fantastic and has only the one duff track at the end. I'll be eternally grateful that they kept the Guardian op-eds off the album itself.

Retro. :)
      "Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Palpatine

#29 Post by Palpatine »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020, 8:20 am Greetings,

Nonsense. Agenda is weak, with two (i.e. half) of the songs being virtually unlistenable, whereas Hotspot is fantastic and has only the one duff track at the end. I'll be eternally grateful that they kept the Guardian op-eds off the album itself.

Retro. :)
      :clap:

Scottydog

#30 Post by Scottydog »

vincenzosz wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020, 7:09 am I think it’s clear from reading this forum that we all have varying taste even within our shared love of PSB.
      The “how can you make hotspot better?” Thread shows this.

I find that every era produces good tracks. Some eras I enjoy more than others, but often my favourite songs are a mix of album tracks and b-sides - going back to their first album.
      I think we need to accept that it’s the prerogative of the artist to express their art as they wish. It’s subjective. Some will like it, some won’t. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not good.

I think Love is a borgious construct is SO annoying. And some say it’s (gasp) their best. In fact I think that each Stuart Price album gets better and better. With Hotspot being my favourite. But to each his own.

On my iTunes I have restructured every Pet Shop Boys album to remove tracks I don’t care for and insert the b-sides I prefer, making an album that’s perfect for my personal listening experience. But I’m not delusional enough to think that how they should of made it.

So to me it’s not really anything inherently wrong with how Neil and Chris structure an album because we all have very different ideas of what we want and don’t want and you can’t please everybody. If the album was meant to be set up differently it would be.
      Well said! I’ve seen varying opinions on songs on every music forums over the years. For every song that is a favourite for one person someone else will hate it. I don’t think that I’ve come across any forum that has such widely varied opinions as this one though. It seems most of my favourites are least liked by the masses but it’s no big deal.
      If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.