Producers suggestions for a new PSB album

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: Producers suggestions for a new PSB album

#61 Post by leesmapman »

Eno. Interesting. He seems to be in a rythmical phase right now. At least, that's what he told Jean-Michel Jarre when he made a remix of a track from Jarre's latest album.

alternativeformat

#62 Post by alternativeformat »

You're feeding oxygen to the ember! I know it would be an interesting collaboration for PSB and I have to think it'd be interesting for Eno. I fear it's too much to hope for. More practical maybe to hope for a Tracey Thorn collab, the idea of which people keep tantalizing me with.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

PopKid78

#63 Post by PopKid78 »

alternativeformat wrote:You're feeding oxygen to the ember! I know it would be an interesting collaboration for PSB and I have to think it'd be interesting for Eno. I fear it's too much to hope for. More practical maybe to hope for a Tracey Thorn collab, the idea of which people keep tantalizing me with.

When Everything But The Girl’s new album comes out, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a PSB remix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spittingcat

#64 Post by Spittingcat »

The problem with Eno is, he’d want a hand in changing how they write songs. I don’t see it happening. Him producing that is. I wish it would. Closest thing likely is Fred Again producing, with a few contributions from Eno. Or John Hopkins and/or Leo Abrahams. All/any could work well.

y3potential

#65 Post by y3potential »

On the subject of producers, I've often wondered what role Pete Gleadall plays in the process. I don't mean that disrespectfully, quite the opposite. For example when PSB worked with the likes of Trevor Horn, Andrew Dawson, Stuart Price and Stephen Hague, at what point does Pete come in..? I'm aware he's an "engineer", but would someone like Trevor Horn for instance have his own team that work with him..? I suppose in essence what I mean is if PSB are working with a specific producer, what would be the need for Pete..? Again, not knocking him whatsoever, I'm just genuinely curious as to his specific role.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

alternativeformat

#66 Post by alternativeformat »

Oh, wow, Jon Hopkins. What a cool idea!

I picture PSB being willing to co-write with Eno, considering his legacy, but, yeah, there'd be a lot of dynamics in play for it to happen.

I have a playlist of Eno tracks that I listen to as a fantasy covers album by Pet Shop Boys. That might be the closest I get to the dream. (I even mailed them a CD of it. )

And yes, please, an EBTG PSB rmx!

stussyboy

#67 Post by stussyboy »

Mike Dean
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

dreamZ

#68 Post by dreamZ »

y3potential wrote: Sun 04 Dec 2022, 11:50 pm On the subject of producers, I've often wondered what role Pete Gleadall plays in the process. I don't mean that disrespectfully, quite the opposite. For example when PSB worked with the likes of Trevor Horn, Andrew Dawson, Stuart Price and Stephen Hague, at what point does Pete come in..? I'm aware he's an "engineer", but would someone like Trevor Horn for instance have his own team that work with him..? I suppose in essence what I mean is if PSB are working with a specific producer, what would be the need for Pete..? Again, not knocking him whatsoever, I'm just genuinely curious as to his specific role.
I guess Pete Gleadall is more important as the lead engineer/mixer/sound director at the PSB live program on tour. I don't think he plays such an important role at new album productions in the studio with external producers. With the ecxeption of b-sides and remixes of course. But who knows? It's just my guess.

jules

#69 Post by jules »

Tenlow wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022, 9:55 pm Royksopp would be amazing - their latest "Profound Mysteries III" album is absolutely brilliant stuff.
Sure a Royksopp and psb album would give some fantastic tracks.

domino

#70 Post by domino »

dreamZ wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022, 9:57 am
y3potential wrote: Sun 04 Dec 2022, 11:50 pm […] what role Pete Gleadall plays in the process. I don't mean that disrespectfully, quite the opposite. For example when PSB worked with the likes of Trevor Horn, Andrew Dawson, Stuart Price and Stephen Hague, at what point does Pete come in..? I'm aware he's an "engineer" […]
[…] I don't think he plays such an important role at new album productions in the studio with external producers. With the ecxeption of b-sides and remixes of course. […]
I'm with dreamZ's thoughts. In addition, Pete often programs the keyboards and provides mixes for the demos. So he probably has an influence on the sound direction of a track. Chris gets bored of surching for the right snare sound easily, or finding the right keyboard pitch, for example. But Pete could also help with programing during a production. :think:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

y3potential

#71 Post by y3potential »

domino wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022, 7:47 am
dreamZ wrote: Tue 06 Dec 2022, 9:57 am
y3potential wrote: Sun 04 Dec 2022, 11:50 pm […] what role Pete Gleadall plays in the process. I don't mean that disrespectfully, quite the opposite. For example when PSB worked with the likes of Trevor Horn, Andrew Dawson, Stuart Price and Stephen Hague, at what point does Pete come in..? I'm aware he's an "engineer" […]
[…] I don't think he plays such an important role at new album productions in the studio with external producers. With the ecxeption of b-sides and remixes of course. […]
I'm with dreamZ's thoughts. In addition, Pete often programs the keyboards and provides mixes for the demos. So he probably has an influence on the sound direction of a track. Chris gets bored of surching for the right snare sound easily, or finding the right keyboard pitch, for example. But Pete could also help with programing during a production. :think:

Thanks both for your feedback. I would hate to think that if they worked with a particular producer that he or she would think afterwards 'what was the point of hiring me if you're just gonna hand all my work over to this guy to tinker with..?'
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

King1

#72 Post by King1 »

Rollo please ,his last two R plus albums have been amazing,

Spittingcat

#73 Post by Spittingcat »

There’s a second R+ album?!?

King1

#74 Post by King1 »

WeDisappear by Faithless and R Plus,it's very good,would love Rollo to work with Chris and Neil again

Synthrobot

#75 Post by Synthrobot »

I discovered the first R Plus album last year when I was randomly Googling Rollo. Very glad for the heads-up for the new project.

I couldn’t stop listening to My Boy from the first album. We can pray for another Rollo collab.