Piano Room Month - 2024

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
romy

Re: Piano Room Month - 2024

#181 Post by romy »

Great Performance!!!!

BimboDuncan

#182 Post by BimboDuncan »

Drico One wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:21 pm It could be worse. You could be a Ronnie O'Sullivan fan.
Who?
We’re different from the others.
No one understands us here.
Imagine how free we will be,
If we disappear?

agent doris

#183 Post by agent doris »

Drico One wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:21 pm It could be worse. You could be a Ronnie O'Sullivan fan.
As a matter of coincidence, I bumped into him yesterday!!

romy

#184 Post by romy »

It would be nice, if Neil would read some of these "angry "comments here.I can hear him saying "what have I done to deserve this?"
For all the moaners, Neil is nearly 70!!!! We had Covid, there are a lot of possible reasons, that his voice is different to the past.

daveid

#185 Post by daveid »

TallThinMan wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 11:57 am Next up, Jeremy Vine will be discussing listeners' colonic irrigation accidents.
My enemy's enema is my friend

Parkol

#186 Post by Parkol »

Loved it all, the orchestra is gorgeous.
The sound is interesting, I'm looking forward to the album. Left to my own devices - super. The new single sounds better live. The string part is beautiful. The cover version on Bowie sounds fresh and unusual. Neil's voice changes, but there's something about that too. Thank them for what they are, even in such a difficult time in the world as this they are releasing new songs and are a small ray of hope.
God bless everyone.

BimboDuncan

#187 Post by BimboDuncan »

romy wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:38 pm It would be nice, if Neil would read some of these "angry "comments here.I can hear him saying "what have I done to deserve this?"
For all the moaners, Neil is nearly 70!!!! We had Covid, there are a lot of possible reasons, that his voice is different to the past.
He’s a singer of an international multi-million selling band who are performing on the biggest radio station in the UK.

I’m a massive fan and have been since 1985. I’ll sing their praises and defend them to the end of the earth. But I’ll also say when a performance is bad. I’m disappointed more than anything because that performance will have turned more people off PSB than anything else. I’ve already had (non-fan) friends message me saying how bad it was.

With a UK Tour to sell - and thousands of tickets still unsold in most venues - that will have harmed ticket sales. Not to mention discouraging people from buying the new album.

I’m not being nasty, just honest. It wasn’t good enough. He sounded terrible.
We’re different from the others.
No one understands us here.
Imagine how free we will be,
If we disappear?

One of the crowd

#188 Post by One of the crowd »

TallThinMan wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 12:08 pm
jyllinge wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 12:07 pm He must have had a cold (for me it takes weeks to recover my voice). He is singing much better in the dreamworld tour.
I'd be surprised if he's had a cold for over two years.
Why not?
Since Covid, I’ve not shifted a cough, snotty and runny nose, one day good, the next two bad.
I’m diabetic too so my immune system is shot to bits

And yes, I’ve been to the doctors and the cough is all good
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

leesmapman

#189 Post by leesmapman »

Or Bob Dylan.

Patrick Bateman

#190 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Was Neil really that bad? It's not like he's ever been Ella Fitzgerald, is it? You don't go to a Pet Shop Boys concert to hear a note-perfect singer.
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Fri 23 Feb 2024, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drico One

#191 Post by Drico One »

agent doris wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:30 pm
As a matter of coincidence, I bumped into him yesterday!!
"Before" or "after"? :mrgreen:
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Gabby

#192 Post by Gabby »

Not heard it yet but will say this regarding Neil's voice - the age thing definitely matters.

Listen if you will to New Order's last album, Music Complete. Bernard Sumner's vocals are very different to anything I've heard him sing before - sometimes downright croaky (for an example try "Tutti Frutti"). It's not necessarily a bad thing, just different and how ones vocal range changes over the years.

I recently saw on my FB feed some "unplugged" New Order with Bernard and the two guys they needed to replace one Peter Hook ( :P ), and his vocals blew me away - better than I'd ever heard him when I was at a NO concert (definitely better than the flippin' Unity Tour).

I'll reserve judgement until I hear the Piano Room, but I think Neil doesn't owe the world anything especially if he's just having a "off" day.

wieske

#193 Post by wieske »

BimboDuncan wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:51 pm
romy wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:38 pm It would be nice, if Neil would read some of these "angry "comments here.I can hear him saying "what have I done to deserve this?"
He’s a singer of an international multi-million selling band who are performing on the biggest radio station in the UK.

I’m a massive fan and have been since 1985. I’ll sing their praises and defend them to the end of the earth. But I’ll also say when a performance is bad. I’m disappointed more than anything because that performance will have turned more people off PSB than anything else. I’ve already had (non-fan) friends message me saying how bad it was.

With a UK Tour to sell - and thousands of tickets still unsold in most venues - that will have harmed ticket sales. Not to mention discouraging people from buying the new album.

I’m not being nasty, just honest. It wasn’t good enough. He sounded terrible.
Exactly my thoughts as well...
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Drico One

#194 Post by Drico One »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 2:02 pm Was Neil really that bad? It's not like he's ever been Ella Fitzgerald, is it? You don't go to a Pet Shop Boys concert to hear a note-perfect singer.
They've always been a brilliant studio band who put on a spectacular live show. I've never gone to a PSB show expecting Placido Domingo - nor have I ever rated their live albums. They are an act best heard on studio albums and best seen on visually-innovative tours.

Today was par for the course. It was a set up that doesn't play to their strengths as it falls between two stools - not studio and not visual. Loneliness was loveliness, though.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Patrick Bateman

#195 Post by Patrick Bateman »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 11:54 am File this one under “glad all over”.

This is a weird choice. It doesn’t work.
Difficult to cover All the Young Dudes as the original is such a classic and the lyrics and message of the song are so associated with the early 1970s.